• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Discussion Winter Magic 2020

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
I am a little surprised by this comment...as far as I know, we have always had a choice, be it in tourney, spire or events. I sincerely hope that Inno is not about to go down the road of forcing players to fight, there are many players who have no interest in fighting, either because they do not want to fight (for whatever reason) or they prefer to cater.
Nothing like taking something out of context. This is a response to a players difficulty over a quest in which they needed to use Pet Food or Combat. The one has a work around but the other does not for this one quest.
Please also remember that Battle has always been an integral part of the game. Whether you choose to play that part is a choice of course. But each and every one of us regardless has at least a Barracks as well as various appearing military buildings for quests as well as creating Orcs to cater with.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
I wonder if Shuffleboard haters have given this version a proper consideration?
@Sir Derf : I wonder if you, as an evidently maths-inclined and (? probably also) maths-trained person, realise that those of us who don't 'speak maths' have no idea what you are suggesting we should do...? I have no great love of the Shuffleboard system and I'm sure your idea is great - if only I could work out what that idea actually is, in amongst what are, to me, completely baffling sets of figures.

Please. At least keep the calculations in a separate thread, and if you come up with a suggestion as a result of doing them, post it in the main thread in plain English? I don't know if this would influence Shuffleboard haters to change their views, but it would certainly give us maths haters a break! :D

Pauly7

Magus
Ah so you never added one then Pauly7 to complete the quest?
Not in my little catering city... hence my problem before with being asked to fight and win an encounter. Luckily we had the old disenchanting pet food trick. I'm not sure if that was by chance or design.

Pauly7

Magus
@Sir Derf : I wonder if you, as an evidently maths-inclined and (? probably also) maths-trained person, realise that those of us who don't 'speak maths' have no idea what you are suggesting we should do...? I have no great love of the Shuffleboard system and I'm sure your idea is great - if only I could work out what that idea actually is, in amongst what are, to me, completely baffling sets of figures.

Please. At least keep the calculations in a separate thread, and if you come up with a suggestion as a result of doing them, post it in the main thread in plain English? I don't know if this would influence Shuffleboard haters to change their views, but it would certainly give us maths haters a break! :D
I think the maths haters can happily skip the numbers. The salient points are that the maximum you will spend winning a daily prize is 370 keys. On average this number will be down to 220 (or so). The various slightly different strategies of using the "reveal 2" and "x 2" and shuffle at different points can reduce that average slightly, but I think Sir Derf's computations showed that it probably won't make a massive difference in practice.

The best option (just) seems to be to shuffle the board as soon as you win the daily. If you haven't found it in the first 12 boxes then use your "reveal 2" and "x 2" at that point.

Sir Derf

Adept
Don't read what you don't like. It's a free forum.

I tend to show my work for several reasons.
  • Usually, I'm working it out as I go along.
  • Some people on the cusp, we'll call them math-curious, might be interested in the method. Maybe Elvenar-musings might be the gateway into a pursuing an advanced degree, or at least watching the odd YouTube video.
  • I might have made a mistake, and there are those who would notice, and would correct me, and then we and the world would be a better place for it. I wouldn't want people to trust gambling their hard-earned fake event currency on the unsubstantiated statements posted by a random internet crank.

Autumn Goldleaf

Spellcaster
Guess we all like different things. I am ok with the shuffle boards. I am not one to want 100’s of a certain event building and the last time we had shuffles, I got my 9 artifacts without needing an FA afterwards. Now they took the fun of trying to hit the double and the preview out. Not the same with it sitting on the side.
Ah, no, but you can be very sneaky with the magnifying glass and x2 options... If you can spot a decent prize with the magnifying glass, wait until your x2 is ready to use, then pick up the prize for double the fun! ;)

sgjennings

Adventurer
I am happy with & enjoying this Winter Magic event.

Things I like:
- the art is pretty, like always
- I always really like chances to get Troop Instants as I hate slowly, painstakingly building my troops
- I think the quests seem more diverse and balanced than usual
- I like the magnifying glass and 2 x feature

Only one comment about something I'm less keen on - I feel like there are too many very weak prizes, like a lone relic. I would prefer more 10x KPs or 5x relics as the "weak prizes".

The only event I really had an issue with was the last Halloween one because you could waste so many currency units clicking around randomly in empty squares. I like this format where every block of currency units is guaranteed to get you something, however small.

BluebellLadybird

Adventurer
A poke in the eye's better than the misty forest! That doesn't make the shuffle board system good and it's definitely not better than the three chest system. I don't like to gamble, never have and never will. Choosing a box to click on is gambling in my opinion. I really dislike games of chance. With the three chest system there was an element of chance but I had a large element of control also.

Please bring back the three chest system! And make the prizes more reasonable for the amount of work, effort and resources we pour into these events!

I still can't get the smell of the Misty Forest out of my head, and this one is much better, however my favourite model is the three chest system.

Pauly7

Magus
I disagree with that, I think that there are far too many quests to produce goods and supplies. I find those quests very boring.
I agree.

In one sense I can appreciate what they are trying to do - i.e. they're trying to make a quest list which takes some time to get through, doesn't benefit too much from looking up "cheat sheets" and doesn't require shanty town construction. That being said, I hope they really rethink what sorts of quests they are putting out. With this event it basically comes down to - a) produce a load of goods b) produce a load of supplies c) complete some encounters. It then just repeats and repeats for 95 quests, even if some are dressed up slightly differently (i.e. collect 16 relics or complete X encounters usually amounts to the same thing.)

With this event (certainly in my main city) I'm almost completely ignoring it anyway. There isn't a single prize that I want and the filler prizes aren't really good enough to generate much interest. I still collect keys and move through quests as I go, so I will ultimately spend the currency when a troop instant or KP instant daily comes up, but this time I really couldn't care less either way.

Deleted User - 1829734

I agree about the lack of variation with the quests, but perhaps my biggest dislike about the quests is the sequence of events. Quite often similar requirements are only a few quests apart.

I haven't played the shuffleboard much as yet, because the daily rewards don't really excite me, so I'm waiting for something that might be remotely useful. Having the shuffle, x2 and magnifying glass I imagine is an improvement, but prizes themselves are rather lackluster. I've never been a fan of the shuffleboard system that means you have less control over getting the prizes you prefer from what is on offer (from chests for example).

Timneh

Artisan
The only reason I am doing this event is I want to see what the new building that replaced wishing wells is like, if it turns out to be less than impressive (I think it will but want to see if I'm right) I will not bother too much with future events unless they give out prizes that are worth having.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
I don’t mind doing production quests as somehow it is aimed at what your city can produce. There are a few others that really gets my goat, like buying 16 kp. Really a nuisance as inflation is terrible on that button!

Deleted User - 341074

I've never been a fan of the shuffleboard system that means you have less control over getting the prizes you prefer from what is on offer (from chests for example).
Interesting perspective. I love the shuffleboard because it gives 100% guaranteed control of what prize I get.
I don't understand how you think it gives less control than a random chance chest.

Sir Derf

Adept
So, are you saying with the shuffleboard, if you want a ranged troop instant, which you know is one of the 16 currently hidden prizes, you know which gift to open? Because that's the way I read "... it gives 100% guaranteed control of what prize I get."

Deleted User - 341074

So, are you saying with the shuffleboard, if you want a ranged troop instant, which you know is one of the 16 currently hidden prizes, you know which gift to open? Because that's the way I read "... it gives 100% guaranteed control of what prize I get."
The heavy ranged battalion? Just spend all keys on day 20, no?

Or do you mean those little booby prizes that you get for missing the daily prize? Those aren't wins, those are the little toy they give you for losing the game at the fair. Who cares about the 1 relic, 1 spell, 1 squad thingy, or 1x2 culture buildings?

But still, yes if for some reason you want a prize other than the daily you have 100% control of getting it- just open all the boxes until you get it.