• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Official Discord server arrives September 11th 2023!

CHVD05**

Dreamer
I'm not particularly tech savvy firstly, everything has been done by trial & error........so, I am finding Discord hard to get into & hard for me to understand, there's no guidance for me to find where the Elvenar group is, at least in Forum I can find what I'm looking for and how to manage things. I'm afraid if this is going to be a permanent fixture, then it might be the parting of ways between me and Elvenar

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Please use our invite link on the announcement @CHVD05** as you need an official invite to join our server.

Anni-Lizzie

Spellcaster
As much as I try I just can't get myself to like that space, it's such a chaotic mess.

Plus I see no big difference with the forum in terms of activity, especially if you consider that they have joined all English speaking people under the same roof over there.
We've been told that Discord was created because there was little engagement on the forums but I don't get what kind of engagement they are hoping for with a game like Elvenar.

1. The game is rather simple and userfriendly at it's core especially for the first few chapters.
2. Most players are grouped into FS so if someone doesn't understand something they will ask their FS first
3. If they are not in a FS or their teammates don't have the answer they will look for it on the forum (or the FB group)
4. There are also some very good fan made pages that offer a lot of info, insight and advice.
5..Most people will come to "speak" in the forum (FB group) only if haven't found what they were looking for in the precious options.

The core of the forum is always going to be the 1% of player who just like to give feedback and suggestions and/or are chatty by nature and want to share their thoughts on the game with other enthusiasts.

It will be the same for discord. Might be a different 1% of people, because they prefer that way of communicating, but I really don't see how it can improve the numbers (again taking into account that they have merged En/US and Beta there).
YES YES YES too… exactly! It’s predictable human behavior. Well said Hekata!

Greendidder

Seeker
Having opened a thread in my FS on the subject of Forum vs Discord (which has produced half a dozen responses so far) the team seem to united in their opinion; they don't like Discord!
I am now trying to establish how many of them actually have forum accounts. I know from experience, opening one is not always easy.

Mulberry Tree, if any of you are reading this: lurking around is great, I'm as guilty as any, but it's time to stand up and be counted!
Make your voices heard LOUD

And everyone else too ... it's time to speak up!!!

Ulladoc

Novice
I have been in other games where the developer has closed the forum and replaced it with a Discord server. The Forum and the Discord server are completely different things which serve completely different needs of players. They are not interchangeable and one cannot replace the other. To lose the forum will mean the loss of a very large body of work by players for the benefit of their fellows. I often search for solutions to problems in the game and often find the answer already recorded in the forum.
I can say that for my other game, similar searches never produce results either in Discord or Google. As a game resource, Discord is not useful, however much fun it may be to have a place to meet friends.
Please keep both the forum and Discord alive. Having created a game forum in another life, I think the minimal costs are well outweighed by the benefits.
Ulladoc

sail0r

Spellcaster
I don't post very often as well (sorry for that dear forum friends). I do search and read, however, whenever I need to find info. Especially a few years back when I was still a beginner.
There are many people in the game that never chat even in the FS chat. Those of course will not bother to post in the forum. I read about the very small percentage of users that visit and/or post in the forum. I think that the reason is just that most people don't feel the need to be in a forum and get their info/feedback from other FS members. So I have a suggestion to Inno, if it is technically possible: Send out a message to all players asking them the following:
1. Do you know that there is a forum where you can find information about the game etc. ?
2. Do you use the forum?
3. Do you like the forum?
4. Would you use the forum if it would be on Discord?

I am pretty sure that the vast majority will not reply. Those that will reply are the ones that are interested. It might be as small as 5% of all users. Now I would be very interested to see how much of the ones that reply will prefer Discord over the current forum.

Honeybubbles

Adventurer
Who is the target audience of Discord?

Millennial men are most likely to use Discord.

About 67% of Discord's users are men. More than 42% of Discord users are between 25 and 34. The second-most popular age group is 16-24 (22.2%).9 Aug 2023

What is the risk of Discord?

Discord is a really fun place, but it can be dangerous. Malware, phishing, scams, and cyberbullying are all too common on the platform, so it's imperative that you exercise caution and take the necessary steps to protect yourself.29 Jun 2023
Ooooo. I'm starting to see something!
Is Inno advertising on Discord?
My fellowship just received an application from a chapter 2 city, not on elvenstats yet, who clearly likes very fast things judging from the name.
Was going to Discord, a plan to attract this market of millenial men?

Honeybubbles

Adventurer
...AND, if that's what MTG/Inno is doing, it's a very clever piece of marketing. They know their market.

Most of us can attest to "how time flies" so those millennial men will become grumpy old bottom burps in the not too distant future. They'll need less Discord in their lives ;)

Verde

Soothsayer
I think it simply doesn't matter how much we are against Discord, the decision was taken and Inno is moving forward with it.
In Beta there's no more link directing to forum:
View attachment 7924
Think this is very much a function of the fact that the beta CM sees it, and is pushing it, as a done deal. He really loves Discord and apparently wants no feedback on the decision :(

Can only hope that he's an outlier, that others may be prepared to listen. Certainly wouldn't say that he's gained much respect in Beta since his arrival.

Btw, change is only on betavbrowser version so far, App still shows Forum. Perhaps he missed something :)