• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Multiplayer in the Spire of Eternity

DeletedUser1874

I'd like to see a little less randomness involved and perhaps more appealing rewards for the last chest, as to make the full climb appealing/feasible for the average player (it currently isn't). That'd also make more hardcore players happier, seeing as how they can't carry others through completion (contrary to the tournament). Sure they can help with trades, but military units, orcs, seeds and mana can't be traded, so yeah.

Other than that as already said it definitely made the Spire a lot better.
Guaranteed rewards = consistently satisfying = good. Random rewards = frustrating, with the occasional dopamine rush = bad.
Take the tournament as a further example. Heard anyone complain about the tournament as much as people complained about events and the early state of the Spire? No? Perhaps it's because the tournament's rewards are not random. It's that easy.

A modicum of randomness might be good to add some spice to the game, but I think it should be confined to more minor stuff with much shorter cooldown times, such as the WW/Genie rewards and the recipes in the MA (much less so for the mystical object, in which winning the "wrong" prize instead of the very juicy ones is very frustrating).

AstralSoul

Illusionist
True, but for that reason they added fixed FS rewards.

Random has its positives too, more than we can imagine, and a good psychologist I am sure has a clear explanation of it ;)
(And I am not saying because I am the lucky few that says "The Spire loves me", but because it spices up. We all love the chests for the events, VS the lotto right (the actual chests system, not their contents.)

DeletedUser1874

True, but for that reason they added fixed FS rewards.

Random has its positives too, more than we can imagine, and a good psychologist I am sure has a clear explanation of it ;)
(And I am not saying because I am the lucky few that says "The Spire loves me", but because it spices up. We all love the chests for the events, VS the lotto right (the actual chests system, not their contents.)
Not in Elvenar's implementation outside of the minor things I mentioned, as far as I'm concerned. In this form, it serves only to fuel addiction, create FOMO and exploit those who are prone to gambling. It might be good in other forms - random/procedurally generated maps for other kind of games, for instance, or games that, but in Elvenar's case, I'd dare any shrink to explain to me why it's good for anyone other than Inno's shareholders.

Errandil

Conjurer
I'm sure that if they switch to the fixed rewards they will make them even less generous than they are now and in the long run we will be getting less. With this game I really prefer when devs don't touch stuff that is already profitable enough, because it always ends up in things becoming worse.

Hekata

Artisan
I'd like to see a little less randomness involved and perhaps more appealing rewards for the last chest, as to make the full climb appealing/feasible for the average player (it currently isn't)

I don't like the random aspects of both the spire and the events not only becasue of the FOMO effect but even more because I find it unfair that people get different rewards for doing the exact same thing. With a fixed questline people do the same quests in the same order yet they will end up with 6-10 artifacts depending on luck. (Obviously with a random questline things are even less fair.) Same goes with the Spire. We all complete the same amount of encounters to finish one stage and yet someone will get a magical WS for their efforts and someone only 10% PP. I understand that if the prizes were fixed they would be very poor prizes (as @Errandil said), after all we can't get a magic residence or a genie every week. But since they have to be random I think that all the prizes should be more or less equally good so whatever a player gets he/she would be happy with it.

I know Inno won't change any of this as FOMO and players trying to compensate for their bad luck with diamonds is what makes their profit but I think that at the very least they should adjust the prizes in the Spire just a bit. Give us a little less SF and a little more time boosters (since they have been nerfed in events) and also replace PP in the boss chests with something better. I'm going to repeat myself here, but I'd like to get 1 or 2 RR spells, bigger time boosters or AWKPs instead of the PP.

I'm sure that if they switch to the fixed rewards they will make them even less generous than they are now and in the long run we will be getting less. With this game I really prefer when devs don't touch stuff that is already profitable enough, because it always ends up in things becoming worse.

Sadly this has been proven true more than once and, while I prefer the features that are not random like the tournament, I agree it's better to leave the Spire as it is and just replace a few prizes as I have suggested above.

Errandil

Conjurer
Considering that Inno felt the need to replace some CC rewards with SF when they added multiplayer rewards, so we won't get too much by their standards, I highly doubt that they'll replace SF with something useful.

We all complete the same amount of encounters to finish one stage and yet someone will get a magical WS for their efforts and someone only 10% PP.
In the long run it evens out eventually, and this is a game to be played for years after all. Though it can feel unfair at times, I understand this.

What I would really like about the rewards and what could be done is switching t2 goods that are produced by the moonstone library each month or two. By this point players in my FS are already feeling that it's getting hard to trade scrolls because a lot of players now produce them by themselves, and it would only get worse in the future. If we will be winning libraries with different t2 production each month it will somewhat balance the things.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Considering that Inno felt the need to replace some CC rewards with SF when they added multiplayer rewards, so we won't get too much by their standards, I highly doubt that they'll replace SF with something useful.

In the long run it evens out eventually, and this is a game to be played for years after all. Though it can feel unfair at times, I understand this.

What I would really like about the rewards and what could be done is switching t2 goods that are produced by the moonstone library each month or two. By this point players in my FS are already feeling that it's getting hard to trade scrolls because a lot of players now produce them by themselves, and it would only get worse in the future. If we will be winning libraries with different t2 production each month it will somewhat balance the things.

Yup this is what I warned for for the long run/game.

It disrupts the market when to many people build a bunch of those in there cities and wrecks scroll makers.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Why don't you attempt to visualize your prize, assume you already have it, and click when you get a hunch (have your mouse placed on the chest).

Visualize your desired drop, imagine the pop-up, the sound, the details of your desired drop, yourself excited because you got the desired drop, and visualize on the happiness you will have (like collecting those CCs for free from the sets). Feel it, and wait for a hunch to click. It will drop.

I have four Spire sets, plus small extras. Three Magic WS, Seven Magic Residences, got and used four or five times the Armorer and the same for the Trading Station. I even got a Genie this week. When I did not do this is when I get only junk, although sometimes I get purple chests, without focus, it always drops a crappy 50% PP.

Honestly, the Spire has been my best friend. I keep doing it due to the FS prizes, otherwise, it is true I would have stopped.

Hekata

Artisan

I'm not sure it evens out in the long run. For one some people are just luckier than others, that's life. And secondly what happens if they change the prizes as you have suggested? Lets' say you managed to get 1 library set but someone else got 3. Or someone got 0 magical buildings and some people got several. Then the prize changes and you don't get any more chances at it. Mind you I'm not complaining personally ; I've have been fairly luck in the Spire so far and between my 2 cities got all the prizes except the genie, but I still don't like the unfair aspect of random.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand my FS had struggled with scrolls for a long while because we couldn't get any players with boosted scrolls and the few we did get eventually are still rather small. The introduction of the library made a huge difference and have solved our problem. On the other hand you are right that scrolls offers are starting to be abundant and that scroll producer my suffer from it. Introducing other building that produce other t2 would restore the balance.
Digressing slightly from the subject, I wonder if introducing other buildings as generous as the Library would create a new problem/situation: less and less trading. Trading was one of the core (if not THE core) features of this game. With so many building producing different kind of goods people are becoming more and more sufficient and need to trade less. I have noticed that on my trader out the 60+ pages of offers maybe 2-5 are for regular goods and all the rest is for sentient goods. while before I used to have 20+ pages of regular goods. Part of it is certainly becasue I do have a few neighbours who have moved into end game chapters but I suspect that the appearance of so many good-producing buildings has something to do with it. I'm not saying it's bad thing, it does have a lot of benefits, I'm just not sure it's what the devs have intended.

DeletedUser8409

If you're debating 0 or 1 library sets then you've not done the Spire maxed out for a long time yet.

I've done 3 maps a week since it started (2 times not finishing map 3 boss because real life got in the way) and have 6 complete library sets. 4 placed, 2 still in inventory as I can't be bothered to redesign my city atm.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
If you're debating 0 or 1 library sets then you've not done the Spire maxed out for a long time yet.

I've done 3 maps a week since it started (2 times not finishing map 3 boss because real life got in the way) and have 6 complete library sets. 4 placed, 2 still in inventory as I can't be bothered to redesign my city atm.

Exactly:

correct.JPG

And more pieces in front of the crab, and still keeps on dropping. I only do the first floor, rarely the second.

Pauly7

Magus
I have Spire sets coming out of my ears... and I only ever wanted just one... but still haven't got a magic building. That's the cruel mistress of random chance for you.

Matohuska

Seeker
Give pET fOOD AS A REWARD IN THE sPIRE AS OPPOSED TO THOUSANDS OF FRAGMENTS AND THOSE BLINKING MANA TREES AND mOONSTONE THINGS. i NOW HAVE ABOUT 5 SETS OF MOONSTONE AND i DONT WANT ANY MORE. pet food please! Oooops sorry about capslock.

Hekata

Artisan
While I agree about too much SF I also think we must careful what you wish for and complain about. Almost every time we have asked for more or less of something we got something worse than we had. Pet food being the best example.

I have won my 4th Library today (making it the 4th full set and plenty of small spares) and even though I only keep 2 in my city I don't find it a problem to keep getting libraries. I just replace the ones from the previous chapter with the new ones so I don't have to use RR spells. And I teleport the old one in the inventory, that way if I ever need a mass production of CC or scrolls I can put them back in my city.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Yes please, don't mess up the libraries, I have four in the city, and like @Hekata says, I have more in case I need mass-production.

I have been lucky to get magic res/ws. The genie was the only thing it resisted (till last week it finally dropped.)

I have to agree with @Hekata about being careful what you wish for in this game. In the past the devs have taken ideas from what players have said in feedback and implemented it but not in the way that the players wanted it and then said the change was in response to player feedback.

Makes me think:

Devs: Is that so?
Message to coders...
Deleting the Spire...
Re-designing the city lookout with no island there, just water. Or a fish that gives you 1 (one) spell fragment a day if you click it.

Problem solved haha, no more whining.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
Yes please, don't mess up the libraries, I have four in the city, and like @Hekata says, I have more in case I need mass-production.

This is the main problem, I think. Everybody has lots of those set pieces. The production of goods is decent for those, much better than that of the upcoming grand prize. The production however is independant of the player's bonus - it's always scrolls, tree gum, moonstone and bismut. While we're drowning in tree gum, we're severely lacking platinum. Every week more gum trees are planted, and more moonstone gates placed, making the market more lopsided.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Also, slows down the market, as my boosted is silk, but I get as many scrolls as with my boosted spiders. I just switched to wood-elves, and instead of more dust (my boosted), I am getting mana, which is great. Loosing from earning gems sucks, so I am keeping some buildings in orc's level. But the library set gets super powerful, the more you advance.

Eventually, they will bring another building to balance off the market, but they shouldn't touch the library, they will anger a lot of us haha. Part of my economy is strong on those sets, as I do a lot of stuff in the MA thanks to the frags, and especially, the CCs.

They are better than some ancient wonders hehe.

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
so to get all rewards a fellowship needs to be max players and all players finish all 12 chest??
IS not a bit overkill Inno??
Something around 20 players to get all would be more logical

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
well is not there a balancing trick for the company to take into consideration?

either they will make the drop rate too small and hurt new players to get the set, or older players will have many copies fo the set.

yeah it is easy to say i have the set now cut the drop rate because i do not need that anymore yeah but what about everyone that does not have it?

the only thing i will agree is that the building brings an overflow of scrolls into marker and hurts people boosting scrolls.

Maybe instead of a fixed goods the library make +1 T2 goods form your boost one, and the small ones make a +2 T2 goods.

this way every player will get materials we really need, and it will not overflow and kill the marker for scrolls primary, and magic dust secondary