• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Moving a City

CrazyWizard

Shaman
@CrazyWizard Sorry I didn't mean to mislead with any advice! I've always considered that a brilliant button. I've kept the majority of my neighbours due to it and they are a wonderful bunch :)

Unless you are already at a location more central than the playerbase, just wait untill all your neighbours get moved away, and you are left alone.
for most of the playerbase it would be a really bad advise as they have no clue what there exact position is and they are prone to it happening.

Once you miss the boat, it's really hard to get a proper spot again. most likely you get a spot somewhere near the edge of the world map.
that button might look interesting now, but it can hurt you really bad later on.

The advise from someone from the elevenar team to use such a button I would consider very ill advise.
It legitimises it's use as a benefit while in reallity it's more likely to be a curse in the long run.

Lets not curse our players and advise them to use that button.
Just ask those to whom it happened.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
@CrazyWizard , sounds like you got lucky with that one city of yours.

Not knowing where I am relative to the centre spot, I am obviously clueless to the likelihood of being moved or not. From recent experience with some of my cities, I honestly can not say that all moves are for the better. Seems like big towns are grouped together, but most big towns have stopped playing.

I have been in the same spot for roughly two years now and one builds up trading partners and friends over time. We have seen each other grow and to some degree you have adapted to what is available around you. Come a move, all that is lost. Makes me think of the saying: “Damned if you do, damned if you don’t”. (ask not to be moved)

Pauly7

Magus
It occurs to me that it might be better to have an outlying city. If you do then you will be in a region where they want to move you into more populated areas in the centre. If you're in the centre anyway you're OK, but if you're somewhere in between (as I think I am), you stay exactly where you are and they move other people in. Problem is that 99% of the people they move into my area are brand new players and 99% of those have stopped playing by the time you first see them.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
It occurs to me that it might be better to have an outlying city. If you do then you will be in a region where they want to move you into more populated areas in the centre. If you're in the centre anyway you're OK, but if you're somewhere in between (as I think I am), you stay exactly where you are and they move other people in. Problem is that 99% of the people they move into my area are brand new players and 99% of those have stopped playing by the time you first see them.
This was true in the old system and one of the things we pointed out on release.
With the old scheme the center was essentially dying as cities where never moved out.

The new system solves this by putting those cities into storage, this means that when players quit (not logged in for at least 4 weeks) cities are removed and then the spot is taken up either by a new player or by an active player moved inwards.

This means that the centre of the world map will in general become the most active area you can be at.

The reason why most often those places are filled with new players (this counts for all locations) is because moving only occurs once per week, while new players join all the time.
This is due to tournaments, because of this all moved occur on monday, just not sure of it was sun-mon or mon-tue.

When the system has been down for a prolongued time like it was. or when it was introduced is the time you see the most movement. it's a moment in which cleanups create so many open spots that moving is actually a very common thing.

This is the reason why especially now you do not want to be left out, as there are huge changes on the world map right now.
Once this has settled moving is very slow as very few places will be aviable each week.

Pauly7

Magus
With the old scheme the center was essentially dying as cities where never moved out.

The new system solves this by putting those cities into storage, this means that when players quit (not logged in for at least 4 weeks) cities are removed and then the spot is taken up either by a new player or by an active player moved inwards.

This means that the centre of the world map will in general become the most active area you can be at.

The reason why most often those places are filled with new players (this counts for all locations) is because moving only occurs once per week, while new players join all the time.
This is due to tournaments, because of this all moved occur on monday, just not sure of it was sun-mon or mon-tue.
We seem to have discussed this a few times, but I will say the same - Player movements never happen all the time in my neighbourhood and they don't happen every week. Once in a while (I've never tracked a frequency, but maybe once every 6-8 weeks), all the small inactive cities get swept off my map. This is what was happening a week or two ago when the discussion came up. Over the next week or so after that all those dozens of gold mines get filled up with new cities - 99% having literally just created the city, as I say - then they all become inactive and everything is the same as it was before. Then a few weeks later we rinse and repeat.

There are some areas where people are getting moved away. I am presuming they're all getting put closer to the centre than where I am because I don't remember established cities ever appearing on my map.

My area isn't the worst because I still have quite a few active bigger players in my vicinity (maybe 20 or so out of 600 or so?) They've pretty much all been there for the last 4 years that I've been in this spot though.

Gargon667

Mentor
I have for the first time ever gotten bigger cities moved into my area, i think the biggest I saw was chapter 10, but there were a few chapter 7 and 8 towns as well. Smaller than that I am not sure, but I am guessing there may be a handful or 2 of chapter 3-5 towns as well that got moved here rather than grew there.
2 or 3 of theose new towns actually started helping me right away, the rest can´t reach me yet of course, but anyway getting guest race towns moved in is at least a headstart... more likely than chap1 town to ever reach me :)

I seem to be just at the edge of where they move towns, I am far North of the center, while all the new towns got moved to the area south of myself.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
We seem to have discussed this a few times, but I will say the same - Player movements never happen all the time in my neighbourhood and they don't happen every week. Once in a while (I've never tracked a frequency, but maybe once every 6-8 weeks), all the small inactive cities get swept off my map. This is what was happening a week or two ago when the discussion came up. Over the next week or so after that all those dozens of gold mines get filled up with new cities - 99% having literally just created the city, as I say - then they all become inactive and everything is the same as it was before. Then a few weeks later we rinse and repeat.

There are some areas where people are getting moved away. I am presuming they're all getting put closer to the centre than where I am because I don't remember established cities ever appearing on my map.

My area isn't the worst because I still have quite a few active bigger players in my vicinity (maybe 20 or so out of 600 or so?) They've pretty much all been there for the last 4 years that I've been in this spot though.

This is because for the past 6 months the system was bugged so they only ran it once in a blue moon.
Players discovered provinces did not always move with the player and this was the reason they got it disabled in the first place.
Each time a developer had to "fix" that players account, we have seen the pictures on beta, with players having there provinces in ring 110 and a virgin island around there own city.

Before the changes the system also ran every single week for years but was flawed as it only moved people inwards but never removed inactive players past chapter 3.
We should therefore ignore the pattern of the past 6 months or so, as it was not a representation of the system for real.
It was just needed maintenantce or testing there fixed code on a large scale to remove the issues while using a large dataset to see if it was really fixed.
By not running it weekly for that time the avoided having to fix people cities every single week

They could run the code and take there time to analyze the results, instead of constantly working on the aftermath.

SkyRider99

Immortal
From what people are saying it's a bit of a lucky-dip. I suffered also for a while, but now I have a good group around me. When it goes bad again I'll opt for the whole 'move-my-city-please' thing. @Herodite tip is handy for some. It's still good to know it's there if required.