• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Moving a City

DeletedUser10581

Does anyone know how the function that relocates your city works?

I've got 270 discovered provinces. 64 are empty slots and a few more are added each day. 43 slots are players with no fellowship. And I only have a few players around me that have more than 80k points.

I know a slot has to be available with the same relic combination as me (planks, scrolls, dust) but is there any other requirements?

DeletedUser

Well, you can ask that question for years and the only thing you will get as an answer, is that it's an automated process and there's a lot needs that must be met and you just have to be patient ;)

And i literally mean years o_O

I have a city that has been sitting and sitting and sitting, and most of the surrounding cities has been moved. Not mine. Just sitting there. Just getting killed slowly because trading is almost at a zero.

DeletedUser10581

Yes, I've tried support but when you get exactly the same answer you want to find a wall for the headache!

Local trading is virtually zero. Fortunately I have a good FS. Do get a little green though when people say about the great, active neighbors they have. LOL

CrazyWizard

Shaman
They changed the moving process a while ago (somewhere last year) and the new version was riddled with bugs.
because of it the automated movng system is more offline then online. (search the beta forums for the bugs)

Not sure if that script is finally online and working, or if they are still running it once in a while to limit times it runs (as devs need to fix each city that gets bugged themselves which I assume is time consuming)

If it still takes a long while I assume they still haven't fixed it and run it like once a month or maybe 2 months. not often at least.
I made some new accounts recently to test somethings out,(and found some bugs because of it) I had a few move last week, if it works again I should see some more moves soon.
If it's still offline I should not see any moves soon.

DeletedUser10581

They changed the moving process a while ago (somewhere last year) and the new version was riddled with bugs.
because of it the automated movng system is more offline then online. (search the beta forums for the bugs)

Not sure if that script is finally online and working, or if they are still running it once in a while to limit times it runs (as devs need to fix each city that gets bugged themselves which I assume is time consuming)

If it still takes a long while I assume they still haven't fixed it and run it like once a month or maybe 2 months. not often at least.
I made some new accounts recently to test somethings out,(and found some bugs because of it) I had a few move last week, if it works again I should see some more moves soon.
If it's still offline I should not see any moves soon.

Thank you for the info! I hope they have got it working properly. No fun in a dead neighborhood. Good for my patience I supposed

Alcaro

Necromancer
in the last 2 weeks many inactive players were removed and replaced with coin pits, it means something is happening (I am speaking about en2).
Anyway, the process is slooooooowwwwww!!!!! In Beta, my city was literally at the edge of the map, with couple active players only and it took more than 2 years to be relocated. Luckily I had a very helpful FS for the trades and I survived.

DeletedUser

in the last 2 weeks many inactive players were removed and replaced with coin pits, it means something is happening (I am speaking about en2).
Anyway, the process is slooooooowwwwww!!!!! In Beta, my city was literally at the edge of the map, with couple active players only and it took more than 2 years to be relocated. Luckily I had a very helpful FS for the trades and I survived.
Nope, nothing happens. That's the problem.

I have been looking at it for years. They have eradicated most of my neighbourhood more than once around that city. So i'm more inclined to believe what @CrazyWizard says, that's there's a problem.

I though have the mechanism suspected to keep some mid-size cities on the brink of the map. And there can be a lot of other different variables in that equation too, they use. One thing is absolutely sure; It's not just about matching boosted goods.

DeletedUser10581

Yes I hope something is happening!!

The cynic in me says, I presume there are no starter cities in the middle of the map. Therefore maybe they use the edges to find the very determined players. Then move them in. Whatever the case it's a marathon not a sprint, which I need to remember :-D

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Nope, nothing happens. That's the problem.

I have been looking at it for years. They have eradicated most of my neighbourhood more than once around that city. So i'm more inclined to believe what @CrazyWizard says, that's there's a problem.

I though have the mechanism suspected to keep some mid-size cities on the brink of the map. And there can be a lot of other different variables in that equation too, they use. One thing is absolutely sure; It's not just about matching boosted goods.

In the past players only moved inwards, as a result the center was slowly dying as players did quit but it takes 3 years before an account is deleted
Last year they entered an improved script that does the following:
  • put players who are x weeks offline in storage, how long offline depends on which chapter you are.
  • when you log back in if you original spot is aviable you'll be replaced there otherwise you get a new spot (most likely at the edge of the world map)
  • Players are moved to a more central location if possible once a week.
The issue was that somehow this new script broke the move of provinces sometimes.
So you would be moved to a better location, but your provinces sometimes stayed behind at your old location.

Of course plenty of new provinces to scout quick and cheap, but completing your old provinces become impossible, imagine the cost for a province 100 rings away. we are talking about 361 million gems or so lol while you are in chapter 2.
Each time this happened they had to fix that account with the failed province move. which could be complicated if that player decides to scout and complete at the new location as well.

I have seen this script active for about 2 months straight, then it got pulled for a long long while with some very rare single runs in between.
I am not sure when or if it's fixed by now. it still wasn't around new year.

It's not to often than I am in the position to estimate if that script is or ain't running. I am 100% sure it wasn't running for a long long time except for most likely cleaning purpose once in a blue moon.

I hope I am wrong and they finally fixed that issue by now and it's running again.

Gargon667

Mentor
I think people are talking about two different things at the same time here:

- the removal of inactive cities works just fine (this is why gold mines pop up here and there all the time)

- the moving of active cities to a new (more central) place does not

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I think people are talking about two different things at the same time here:

- the removal of inactive cities works just fine (this is why gold mines pop up here and there all the time)

- the moving of active cities to a new (more central) place does not
Old style not new style I presume, so new towns that start and are bandoned are removed like it was a long time ago,
I havent seen inactive cities being put into storage (new version)

Laurelin

Sorcerer
I remember, when I first joined the Forum - about three years ago, coming up? - that one of the most lively topics, even back then, was the subject of City moves... how and why and when they happened, and especially the Big Question: does spending Diamonds in-game mean that your City is never moved, even if long abandoned? And this topic is still just as interesting and, it seems, just as much debated even now! Very interesting.

My experience, as is true of all of us, of course, is merely anecdotal, but in my own Neighbourhood on EN1 Arendyll, which is reasonably centrally placed and also quite active (between 10% and 20% live Cities at any given time, including start-ups and mid-high Chapter players), I find that around 10% of the dead Cities are removed reasonably often - every 2-6 weeks or so - and replaced either with Gold Mines (for anything up to a few weeks), or with other Cities, of which some are entirely new start-ups and others are relocated Cities in later Chapters, although none, so far, has been above Ch.V.

Most of the relocated Cities are, it seems, already dead before being moved, which would seem to indicate either that no 'storage' of dead Cities is taking place, or at least that dead Cities may be moved multiple times before being 'stored'... which would seem to be a waste of effort, but perhaps there is actually a good reason for this? Do others also see already-dead Cities being moved into their Neighbourhoods, too? I'd be interested to know.

This same degree of moving/removing/relocating Cities around me has been going on ever since I started my Arendyll City, some 15 months ago, so I personally have never noticed any break in the removal/relocation schedule which might suggest that the system is in some way intermittent. Something which has caught my attention however, of late (since maybe three months ago?), is that almost all of the Cities, whether tiny or more advanced, which appear near me as the result of having been moved into an empty space will have a four-digit code [precisely four, no more nor less] appended to the City Name (for example, my own City would be renamed to 'Laurelin-3408', or similar). So far, any 'Code Cities' which are moved in are moved out simultaneously, although new (and dead) 'Code Cities' may or may not replace them. I haven't seen any City which I know was once live but is now dead actually acquiring these four-digit codes, even though some of them have been removed along with the 'Code Cities', at times, so I can only assume that the code is added at some point after the removal of such a City, but before its replacement elsewhere (and/or, for all I can tell, in 'storage' of some kind?).

This coding is so consistent in style (and so unlikely to be the names chosen by players themselves) that I can only assume it has something to do with how Cities are identified by the City moving system. It would also suggest, perhaps, that no more than 9999 Cities can be moved simultaneously?

Of course, this new development in the Saga of the Moving Cities doesn't really help any of us to understand precisely how it all works, but still, maybe any new info is better than none...? :)

Gargon667

Mentor
Old style not new style I presume, so new towns that start and are bandoned are removed like it was a long time ago,
I havent seen inactive cities being put into storage (new version)

How would you know the difference?

DeletedUser

Something which has caught my attention however, of late (since maybe three months ago?), is that almost all of the Cities, whether tiny or more advanced, which appear near me as the result of having been moved into an empty space will have a four-digit code [precisely four, no more nor less] appended to the City Name (for example, my own City would be renamed to 'Laurelin-3408', or similar). So far, any 'Code Cities' which are moved in are moved out simultaneously, although new (and dead) 'Code Cities' may or may not replace them. I haven't seen any City which I know was once live but is now dead actually acquiring these four-digit codes, even though some of them have been removed along with the 'Code Cities', at times, so I can only assume that the code is added at some point after the removal of such a City, but before its replacement elsewhere (and/or, for all I can tell, in 'storage' of some kind?).

Yes, i saw that too some days ago and wondered; That's odd.

When checking now, just to take an ex. "Silvyr-1074". So he/she has been added "-1074". I know of other live cities which have numbers added, but the lack the " - ". There's actually one with 3 numbers, "Talaedra-436". They are all very small and just started cities. But this is closer to the centre of the map.

Around my ch12 city which is closer to the edge, there's none of those cities, just a lot of coin mines, 30 or so.

DeletedUser

• put players who are x weeks offline in storage, how long offline depends on which chapter you are.
  • when you log back in if you original spot is aviable you'll be replaced there otherwise you get a new spot (most likely at the edge of the world map)
But how would that even work ?

What if i return to the game and they can't find a spot to place my city, then i just can't play. That's doesn't make sense.

But if it is so, and it's that easy; Then it becomes very real that there are some other reason to why some cities are not moved. Because if it's easy to place a player which comes back (are is not on the map), it should be easy to move a live city as well.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
Gold mines also can occur when an active city is moved and not only inactive cities. I once checked what is happening in the spot I used to be after my city was moved.

Some of my fellows mentioned being moved recently. Can’t say if it was closer to the centre of the map as I have no idea where the centre is. Would be nice if we had a grid reference so you could know where you are relative to others. Not a must know, but a nice to know for those of us that like to know things spatially.

Pauly7

Magus
Inno seems to have a periodic kind of a spring clean. The reason this topic has come up again right now is because about a week ago all the small inactive cities got removed at once. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone has a ton of gold mines on their map right now.

The problem with it all is - 99% of the cities that get removed are the tiny cities where people never actually played the game longer than a few minutes to a few days. These get swept away quite quickly. After we've seen the gold mines for a week or two then they will fill the spaces back up. However, 99% of the new cities in your neighbourhood will be brand new cities again - most of which are then abandoned... and then we repeat it a month or two later.

Every once in a while (I have seen it happen) a bigger city will be moved into the neighbourhood... but I'm talking about considerably less than a percent - probably 1 in 1,000 of them. The problem is that this number is much smaller than the numbers of new cities that don't get abandoned in the first few days, and also much smaller than the number of established cities that also become inactive.

So the net result is that neighbourhoods continue to go downhill and become much less active. When I was first moved to the area I'm in (October 2017 people) it was a thriving megalopolis of active trading cities. It's got steadily worse since then and they've never moved me again. It's true that they changed things more recently so now a bigger inactive city will eventually get removed, but I don't see a huge amount of evidence of anyone still getting moved to better areas. I just see the spaces filled up with brand new cities.

DeletedUser10581

Inno seems to have a periodic kind of a spring clean. The reason this topic has come up again right now is because about a week ago all the small inactive cities got removed at once. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone has a ton of gold mines on their map right now.

The problem with it all is - 99% of the cities that get removed are the tiny cities where people never actually played the game longer than a few minutes to a few days. These get swept away quite quickly. After we've seen the gold mines for a week or two then they will fill the spaces back up. However, 99% of the new cities in your neighbourhood will be brand new cities again - most of which are then abandoned... and then we repeat it a month or two later.
Most of my 'Gold mines' appeared in the last few weeks, some had appeared before but they were quickly filled. Now the number just seems to be growing. As much as it's better than nothing to have the gold mines, the city is being pinched by lack of trade and neighbourhood help.