• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Moving a City

Far Reach

Conjurer
Inno seems to have a periodic kind of a spring clean. The reason this topic has come up again right now is because about a week ago all the small inactive cities got removed at once. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone has a ton of gold mines on their map right now.

Could this depend on the server ? I don't have any gold mines on the map of my primary city (EN3 with 600+ provinces explored)

DeletedUser10581

Yeah, pretty soon they'll all fill up with brand new cities, most of which will be inactive as soon as you see them. Then we go again in a few months.
Ha! Hopefully I'll be moved before then, though I might fare no better.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
But how would that even work ?

What if i return to the game and they can't find a spot to place my city, then i just can't play. That's doesn't make sense.

But if it is so, and it's that easy; Then it becomes very real that there are some other reason to why some cities are not moved. Because if it's easy to place a player which comes back (are is not on the map), it should be easy to move a live city as well.
There is always a place on the edge of the world.
From there you have to wait untill there is room in a better location.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Inno seems to have a periodic kind of a spring clean. The reason this topic has come up again right now is because about a week ago all the small inactive cities got removed at once. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone has a ton of gold mines on their map right now.

The problem with it all is - 99% of the cities that get removed are the tiny cities where people never actually played the game longer than a few minutes to a few days. These get swept away quite quickly. After we've seen the gold mines for a week or two then they will fill the spaces back up. However, 99% of the new cities in your neighbourhood will be brand new cities again - most of which are then abandoned... and then we repeat it a month or two later.

Every once in a while (I have seen it happen) a bigger city will be moved into the neighbourhood... but I'm talking about considerably less than a percent - probably 1 in 1,000 of them. The problem is that this number is much smaller than the numbers of new cities that don't get abandoned in the first few days, and also much smaller than the number of established cities that also become inactive.

So the net result is that neighbourhoods continue to go downhill and become much less active. When I was first moved to the area I'm in (October 2017 people) it was a thriving megalopolis of active trading cities. It's got steadily worse since then and they've never moved me again. It's true that they changed things more recently so now a bigger inactive city will eventually get removed, but I don't see a huge amount of evidence of anyone still getting moved to better areas. I just see the spaces filled up with brand new cities.

This is related to the moment where players can be moved.
You can only be moved once per week due to factors like tournament for example.

Those small towns are removed daily.
So by the time the move system is activated those empty places are already filled with new players.

Only the removal short before the move script are places that can be used by it.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
This isn't true. I've currently got about 30 gold mines on my map that weren't there a week ago. They do this once every couple of months. The small inactive cities are swept away all at once. They stay as gold mines for a few days, then they get filled back up with small embryonic (mostly) inactive cities.
guess in that case those script are still offline today.
Sweeps means they only activate those manually because there still bugged as hell and after each sweep they have to put dev time aside to fix all the errors.

Wibbly Woo

Spellcaster
Something which has caught my attention however, of late (since maybe three months ago?), is that almost all of the Cities, whether tiny or more advanced, which appear near me as the result of having been moved into an empty space will have a four-digit code [precisely four, no more nor less] appended to the City Name (for example, my own City would be renamed to 'Laurelin-3408', or similar). So far, any 'Code Cities' which are moved in are moved out simultaneously, although new (and dead) 'Code Cities' may or may not replace them. I haven't seen any City which I know was once live but is now dead actually acquiring these four-digit codes, even though some of them have been removed along with the 'Code Cities', at times, so I can only assume that the code is added at some point after the removal of such a City, but before its replacement elsewhere (and/or, for all I can tell, in 'storage' of some kind?).

This coding is so consistent in style (and so unlikely to be the names chosen by players themselves) that I can only assume it has something to do with how Cities are identified by the City moving system. It would also suggest, perhaps, that no more than 9999 Cities can be moved simultaneously?
I think that could be app players who never complete the tutorial, as it starts you with names in that form.

DeletedUser10581

I think that could be app players who never complete the tutorial, as it starts you with names in that form.
Hey @Wibbly Woo , I seem to remember you were, until recently, a neighbour of mine. Did the game move you because you're a long way away from me now?

Wibbly Woo

Spellcaster
Hi @IRON-MOUSE , I did indeed get moved away. A pity really as you were one of the useful traders near me.

Actually, that suggests another possible factor for movement inwards: matching the map array for goods. If experienced players will restart anything with scrolls, it means that over time it will become easier for scrolls cities to move inwards compared to other city types, due to less competition for the slots.

Giraffi

Enchanter
Me too, and my city on W is a chapter 12 city. Not convinsed it is a better neighborhood though. Thought I would not be moved again, so I never disabled the do-not-move button. The active neighbours became friends over time. Any chance of getting it reversed?

Pauly7

Magus
Me too, and my city on W is a chapter 12 city. Not convinsed it is a better neighborhood though. Thought I would not be moved again, so I never disabled the do-not-move button. The active neighbours became friends over time. Any chance of getting it reversed?
I'm fairly sure that came up before and they said it would be impossible. It makes sense really - if it can take them over 4 years to move someone then it would be just as difficult as moving you the first time. Perhaps they moved all your other good neighbours away too, anyway.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
It are automated systems. no human intervention so indeed impossible.
even with the no move toggled you could still be moved.

In general you get a better place, but sometimes they disband an area. as they clean up the server sometimes the world map becomes less crowded and certain parts are no longer needed, in that case that area is removed. if you are unlucky and there is no proper spot for you you'll end up at the edge of the world map untill a better place can be found.

So if you want from an active neighborhood to no mans land, most likely they removed your section of the world map.

FieryArien

Necromancer
Strange, something is indeed different this time. My city is something over 3 years old and I’ve never been moved ... till today. And I wasn’t in a horrible neighborhood. Not exactly a good one, but it wasn’t dead. I hope I wasn’t moved into a worse one. :eek:

Solanix

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
I have made a post in the 'Did you know' section about the game settings. There you can read which tick you need to remove if you want to avoid that your city will get moved on the map.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
@Solanix , just remember that the movement button is not available on app. Please get confirmation if Crazywizard is correct in that this may be over ridden in certain circumstances and that your city may be moved although you indicated for it not to be moved.