• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Cross tier trades

• Thread starter DeletedUser3034
  • Start date

DeletedUser3034

Yes, there are currently an abnormally large number of cross-tier trades posted. I am certain this is a temporary thing, as I am convinced the underlying reason for it is the v-day quest. Toward the end of the quest are 3 stages which tie players T1 manufactories for 24 and 48 hours. So, temporarily, the amount of T1 goods being generated has plummeted. The situation should ease in a few days.

Timneh

Artisan
Yes, there are currently an abnormally large number of cross-tier trades posted. I am certain this is a temporary thing, as I am convinced the underlying reason for it is the v-day quest. Toward the end of the quest are 3 stages which tie players T1 manufactories for 24 and 48 hours. So, temporarily, the amount of T1 goods being generated has plummeted. The situation should ease in a few days.

Do you not think it might also have something to do with the stupid change to the wholesaler ?

DeletedUser2886

it ties their factories for far longer than that Gandolfus. if you don't have 12-20 manufactories/workshops, or at least 8 then you are at least doubling the time it will take to do most of them. Those quests are deceiving and most are gonna be tied up for like 3 days at least on those t1 quests, especially if they don't have multiple buildings. someone with only 3-4 t1 factories is not going to finish those quests quickly

same with the workshop ones too.

For example

Quest 12:
Basket of groceries (9hr) x 5
Advanced Tools (3hr) x10

Lets say you only have 4 workshops and don't know about the quests beforehand....its gonna take you 10hrs to do the groceries, then 9 hours to do the advanced tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3034

True, with good timing and foreknowledge, 8 is the key number. And I didn't mean the 24-48 to be a total, perhaps poorly worded. To make the situation a little worse, these long production runs do not produce the quantity of goods short (3 hour) ones do. Therefore, even when they are done, the amount of T1 goods is still low.

I do think this will ease as players get past those 3 steps, just not overnight.

DeletedUser2886

True, with good timing and foreknowledge, 8 is the key number. And I didn't mean the 24-48 to be a total, perhaps poorly worded. To make the situation a little worse, these long production runs do not produce the quantity of goods short (3 hour) ones do. Therefore, even when they are done, the amount of T1 goods is still low.

I do think this will ease as players get past those 3 steps, just not overnight.

yea 8 is a good number because many of the others are like x5 and x3 or x6 and x2. Some may be overkill though. for example 20 bread. I just used 10 workshops and made it 2 hr. I know someone who made 20 workshops so they could complete it in 1hr though

Timneh

Artisan
The 99 beverages quest is also a pain as it means you can't really leave your keyboard until you are done with them. I am not doing this event as i do not think the rewards are good enough for the effort required.

DeletedUser2886

quest 17 (t1 goods)
3hr x8
9hr x3

quest 18: (t1 goods)
9hr x6
1d x2

quest 19: (t1 goods)
1d x5
2d x3

without 11 factories for quest 17 its gonna take a long time. someone in my fellowship claims to only have 3 t1 factories and has only ever had 3 of any factory. I don't believe them but anyway lets look at how long that quest will take them...

***Quest 17 with 3 factories:

step 1) 9hr x3
step 2) 3hr x3
step 3) 3hr x3
step 4) 3hr x2

18 hours :( plus if you go to sleep as the 9hr part is halfway through...youre gonna lose another 6-8 hours while youre asleep and have to do the 3hr parts in the morning when you wake up so it could take you even longer

***Quest 17 with 11 factories

step 1) 9hr x3 and 3hr x8 simultaneously

9 hours :)

***Quest 18 with 3 factories:

step 1) 1d x2
step 2) 9hr x3
step 3) 9hr x3

1d 18 hours

***Quest 18 with 8 factories:

step 1) 1d x2 + 9hr x6

1 day

***Quest 19 with 3 factories....

step 1) 2d x3
step 2) 1d x3
step 3) 1d x2

4 days :(

***Quest 19 with 8 factories:

step 1: 2d x3 + 1d x5 =

2 days :)

With 3 factories it would take around 6-7 days just to do these 3 quests lol. 3 days and 9 hours with 11 factories. Of course you can plan ahead by doing some of quest 17 while you are waiting for the province to scout (quest 16) but it wont make much of a difference with only 3 factories. Then there is 99 beverages and 20 bread with only 5 workshops for example.

yes @Timneh that 99 beverages was a pain in the ass. just the setting the production off and collecting every 5 mins is annoying. I had 10 workshops so had to do it 10 times every 5 mins. pretty tedious. It actually took me around 2 hours an a bit to do this because I kept forgetting about them. I couldnt sit at my laptop for an hour straight (well 50 mins) like that clicking those buttons 10 times every 5 mins. My "normal" activity in the city is 1hr workshops and 3hr factories and then I just go and do something else checking back every hour to collect the workshops

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1453

I agree, I thought it was just me, trading in our FS is usually within tiers and I only get it (and a lot of it) from my neighbours, I felt it might have been the tourney's. Whatever it is it's really starting to bug me. Where before I might have picked it up because it was my boost I've decided against it. For me it seems some players feel their real estate is more suited to tier 2 and 3 manu's because of the higher value goods, I've seen lots of players lately not upgrading their tier 1 manu's in proportion to their city. I'm no longer going to prop up these players up unless they are in my FS and need help for a specific tourney or quest, it's up to each of us to produce all tiers.

DeletedUser3034

Tourneys probably contribute as well, good point! So, the market is acting like any market would, adjusting itself (via what folk are willing to trade, what they demand, and what they need) to try and seek "balance". Whether it will or even can remains to be seen.

DeletedUser1952

the change in the trader options is crazy... so many putting up cross-tiered goods and I had to put up one to show them how crazy it is even it is a 2-stars trade. FYI, I put up 100k dust and asking for 1600k steel (which is not being traded for days)! See if anyone want to accept that trade!! And the dev says it's to balance the market!

DeletedUser1353

I think they should really do something about the star-system regarding crosstrades, I know players only have to accept the trades that they want to take, but many new (and old) players are still accepting (and posting) ridiculous cross-trades because they trust in the games star-rating.

1k gems for 15k marble is 3 star = "This offer is a bargain. The wanted goods are far less valuable than the offered goods." Ofc some players are going to fall for it.

Some alternatives could be to reduce the ratios for different tier goods, I suggest 1:2:3 or 1:2:4. This would not be completely correct for all villages either, but for sure a more appropriate than what we have now (1:4:16).

Or just remove rating for crosstrade and add a warning or something.

Timneh

Artisan
I have just looked at the trader and at the time i write this there are 96 trades available. Out of those 96 trades 80 of them are cross tier and only 16 are same tier. It has only been like this since the change to the wholesaler, there have always been cross tier trades but never as many as now. People like me that do not like cross tier trading are finding it very hard to get the goods needed. I just hope that the CMs read all the feedback and take it to the devs. People seem to be leaving in large numbers because of recent changes so they need to change things for the better before they have no players left. No players = no diamonds being bought and that means no money for the devs salary.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I think they should really do something about the star-system regarding crosstrades, I know players only have to accept the trades that they want to take, but many new (and old) players are still accepting (and posting) ridiculous cross-trades because they trust in the games star-rating.

1k gems for 15k marble is 3 star = "This offer is a bargain. The wanted goods are far less valuable than the offered goods." Ofc some players are going to fall for it.

Some alternatives could be to reduce the ratios for different tier goods, I suggest 1:2:3 or 1:2:4. This would not be completely correct for all villages either, but for sure a more appropriate than what we have now (1:4:16).

Or just remove rating for crosstrade and add a warning or something.
I would be great if they could come up with a different rating indeed.

Right now the trade system is based on cost, it cost 16 times more hammers to create 1000 elixer than it costs to create 1000 marble.
It's actually not that hard to find the correct formula for trades thats actually fair for everyone. and the best part it really doesnt matter how you would trade up or down, it's always aproximatly fair. (since there are variations in chapters)

It's based on the how much space does x production cost. as long as you balance space, all costs involved are balanced. since it takes x space to produce x goods.

To create a balnce base I am gonna grab some interception points in game where the statistics of all races became "equal" since at other part unfortunatly the devs screwed up a bit.

The first interception point in game is the orcs chapter here all factories are level 19, and with the exception of the dwarf factories the production is also evened out between all the types within each tier goods.
Unfortunatly because the dev's decided elf and human culture should be different in the first 5 chapters they cant be used for comparison.

Lets start grabbing the required data:

lvl 19 Elixir Factory: 775 elixer per day (base) for 24800 supplies. req 3328 workers and 886 culture, the space is 20 squares
lvl 19 Crystal Factory: 1048 per day (base) for 8380 supplies requiring 5159 workers and 1504 culture, the space is 20 squares
lvl 19 Marble Factory: 373 per day for 746 supplies requiring requiring 1050 workers and 227 culture and the space is 10 squares
lvl 23 Residence gives 1200 workers , cost 475 culture and the space is 12
Best orc culture (non premium) = Orc BBQ giving 145 culture per square
lvl 23 workshop: 10600 supplies a day req 1534 workers and 812 culture and the space is 20 sq.

Lets start with elixer:
24800/10600 supplies req 2.34 workshops
Workers needed = workers factory + workers workshop = 3328 + (2.34*1534) = 6918 workers.
6918 workers need 6918/1200 = 5.77 residences.
Culture = residences + workshop + factory = (5.77*475)+(2.34*812)+(886) = 5527 culture

Squares needed = sq factory + sq culture + sq residence + sq workshops = 20+ (5527/145)+(5.77*12)+(2.34*20) = 174.16 sq
Production per sq is then 775/174.16 = 4.45 elixer per sq

Crystal
8380/10600 supplies req 2.34 workshops = 0.79 workshops
Workers needed = workers factory + workers workshop = 5159 + (0.79*1534) = 6371 workers.
6371 workers need 6371/1200 = 5.31 residences.
Culture = residences + workshop + factory = (5.31*475)+(0.79*812)+(1504) = 4668 culture

Squares needed = sq factory + sq culture + sq residence + sq workshops = 20+ (4668/145)+(5.31*12)+(0.79*20) = 131.71 sq
Production per sq is then 1048/131.71 = 7.96 elixer per sq

Marble
746/10600 supplies req 2.34 workshops = 0.07 workshops
Workers needed = workers factory + workers workshop = 1050 + (0.07*1534) = 1158 workers.
1158 workers need 1158/1200 = 0.97 residences.
Culture = residences + workshop + factory = (0.97*475)+(0.07*812)+(475) = 993 culture

Squares needed = sq factory + sq culture + sq residence + sq workshops = 10+ (993/145)+(0.97*12)+(0.07*20) = 29.89 sq
Production per sq is then 373/29.89 = 12.48 elixer per sq

so a trade rations of 1-2-4 is still slightly "unfair" but aprox fair, and surely a mega lot more fair than 1:4:16

so you were quite close with your estimate @Lynxze

DeletedUser3034

I can't quite follow those numbers as I'm at chapter 3, but my understanding of that is 1:2:4 is fair at that moment in time. But, there is no way it is fair at earlier stages. What is fair for the player who has maxed his tier 1 at 8? What is fair for the player who's in wizards and dragons? Seems fair is a sliding measure, so it still comes down to pay what you are willing to pay, as a fair trade will always depend on personal need and current production/surplus.

Timneh

Artisan
I don't think there will ever be an answer to the arguement over what is fair or unfair regarding cross tier trading and gandolfus is right when he says if you are happy to pay the price being asked for the goods then the trade is fair to you, another person might not be happy as to them it is not fair. I have already said that i do not like cross tier trades but i am starting to feel as though i will be forced to start taking some to get the things i want/need but i really hope it doesn't come to that.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I can't quite follow those numbers as I'm at chapter 3, but my understanding of that is 1:2:4 is fair at that moment in time. But, there is no way it is fair at earlier stages. What is fair for the player who has maxed his tier 1 at 8? What is fair for the player who's in wizards and dragons? Seems fair is a sliding measure, so it still comes down to pay what you are willing to pay, as a fair trade will always depend on personal need and current production/surplus.

Since it's a chain calculation it should be able to scale appropriatly, the bigger your factory gets the more it produces, but the more it produces the bigger it's support chain becomes offsetting the first. but yeah there will be variations when your going trough the first few chapters where the "fair" point will wobble a bit up and down. but it will never get anywhere near the current 1:4:16 thats used today.

Thats actually why I went for 1:2:4 since the lower tier goods wobble abit ahead of the higher tier goods, for example the wood elves tier 1 factories are now "better" at producing than the tier 2 and tier 3, once the sorceres and dragons arrive the tier 2 factory catches up with the marble, and in the next guest race after sorceres and dragons the tier 3 factory will play catchup again after which the "fair" numbers match again.
1-2-4 is slightly "unfair" if all factories have the same level. but not massivly unfair like the 1:4:16 trades.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I don't think there will ever be an answer to the arguement over what is fair or unfair regarding cross tier trading and gandolfus is right when he says if you are happy to pay the price being asked for the goods then the trade is fair to you, another person might not be happy as to them it is not fair. I have already said that i do not like cross tier trades but i am starting to feel as though i will be forced to start taking some to get the things i want/need but i really hope it doesn't come to that.

fine, but then please remove the star system, because the star system steers it in to a direction thats unfair. now newbies "think" it's fair, because the star system tells them it is. it's not an observation of fairness they made themselves, it was made for them.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
I don't think there will ever be an answer to the arguement over what is fair or unfair regarding cross tier trading[...]
Sorry but why cross-tier trade is unfair with the actual 16:4:1 ratio is easy to understand...

First, you must compare the 3 tiers each 3 chapters when they can be upgraded at same level so you can compare comparable things... then you will notice each tier is producing (close to) the same amount for the same surface.

Second, if you count the goods needed for the research tree (and those needed to negotiate the provinces), you can see that you need amounts close to equal in each tier so you need to produce equally in each tier not to waste room... so you need nearly equal surfaces for each tier...

And because the "fair" point of view is actually based on the goods prices, that is completely irrelevant because the room is the most important challenge, cross-tier trades should only be fair with equal amounts because that means equal room used to produce.

With other words, if I take an offer that requires 16K of steel and gives me 1K of dust, I loose 1/3 of my 1st tier daily production when I only receive 1/48 of my 3rd tier daily production (let's say nothing) and because I need equal amounts of each tiers, that means I produced 1/3 of my daily production for my 2nd and 3rd tier that I can't use because I'm missing the 1st tier's goods...

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Edit : I quoted irrelevant part of Timneh's post, corrected

Last edited: