• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

A Gateway into the Past

SkyRider99

Immortal
If they close the forums though
It seems that should read, 'when they close the forums.' I cannot ignore the inevitable outcome, as notified by Inno.

1698051297808.png

I admire your spirit of resistance though @McBratty.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Silmaril : I can't quite reconcile your several statements, so far, about the Forums/Discord situation, in this thread and elsewhere. I do have [a little] more to add, but it's off-topic here, so I'll reply instead in the ongoing Discord-related thread here on this Forum.

I don't use Discord, or any form of Social Media, so if feedback here is NOT being noted or considered any longer, that's obviously unfortunate, but I can presently see no viable alternative method by which I personally can communicate with Inno/its representatives.

Many thanks.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
<snip> ... Feels like a sinking ship, I will be last man off and go down with the crew.
@m4rt1n : I may presently be less vocal than usual, only and solely because I genuinely loathe using my mobile phone to communicate and I'm still PC-less, but I'm 100% in agreement with you on all your points, especially when it comes to possibly losing this long-time sanctuary of Elvenar information, animated discussion, friendly-spirited disagreement, good humour, and general online homeliness which so many of us have come to value so much.

If you're the last man off this beloved old ship, you'll have at least one last woman ~ this one ~ lurking or maybe not ~ to accompany you in one final Sea Shanty, or even a Hornpipe, perhaps? ... my friend. For what that's worth... :)

[...] randomness was too high: investing $10 USD in an object or 8,300 diamonds in event-coins makes no sense if I have exactly no predictability of how it will profit my progression in the event --the prices for scoring gems in amounts of 20, 40, 60, and so on. [...]

The 2-4-8-16-32-64 basis for the objects --multiplied by 4 coins-- was a terrible idea, when it comes to consumers aware of their expenses. [...]
@Not a Pointy Ears : Well said. When this Event type was introduced, even the Beta Forum's mathematically gifted players couldn't calculate the odds of success regarding the various Dwarf Trades/Offers, beyond observing that:

1. The Event mechanics are based upon the use of RNG^5, or even greater when including the 'Wild Cards/Jokers'; but also that

2. The randomness is at its least significant with respect to the outcome of using Wild Cards/Jokers themselves, and they are also so individually valuable that they alone (as in randomly winning more/fewer of them) largely control the difference between succeeeding and failing to complete the Event, especially in terms of Gold League attainment.

Therefore the only influential strategy in Dwarf Game Events is to take only Trades with the best random chance of winning Jokers, and then hope to win Event Currency from those (winning game pieces is too limiting). Player Merging strategy is far less significant in comparison, especially because 2->1 Merging (vs the 3->1 / 5->2 systems used by more complex Merge games) is itself very limited, and naturally the smaller the playing field, the fewer the strategic options, too.

I strongly dislike the use of randomness in any nominally strategic game, such as Elvenar, and I never gamble where my money or even my time is involved, on principle. The extreme degree of randomness built into the Dwarf Board Game Events therefore almost entirely spoils, for me, an in-game mechanic I otherwise greatly enjoy; the Merging aspect.

The archetypal mobile phone Merge game is [probably] the original Merge Dragons!, which uses entirely non-randomised item generators and elaborately player-controllable, and openly visible, maths. Therefore it's still my favourite Merge game ~ in fact, it's in my Top 3 mobile phone games of all time ~ and I spent my time playing that game more, and Elvenar less, while Elvenar's Merge-based Event was live... which I rather doubt was Inno's intended outcome.

The reduction of number of playing board cells was the final straw which caused me not to even care, for the first time in 5+ years, about intentionally failing to complete an Elvenar Event, only due to player skill having being rendered nearly irrelevant vs overwhelming RNG influence. Not my idea of fun.

Thanks for your interesting comment, and good luck with the Misty Forest :)

Just a reminder as I see that some feedback is being left here. Please remember that the official Feedback is now being taken from our official Discord server, for your convenience here is the direct link
I won't use Discord for this, or for anything else. Hence, there are two roads, pick yours: either Elvenar's staff pay attention to what we users say here on the forum, or you don't. If you don't, and we notice, our interest will decrease. A LOT. So far, two events have passed by and I haven't spend a dollar on them. Compare with the amount of money I spent on previous events. Reason? Already explained on my post. Will you disregard this feedback for the mere reason I do not want to use a third platform? Cool. It is entirely up to you.

@Laurelin said:

"I strongly dislike the use of randomness in any nominally strategic game, such as Elvenar, and I never gamble where my money or even my time is involved, on principle. The extreme degree of randomness built into the Dwarf Board Game Events therefore almost entirely spoils, for me, an in-game mechanic I otherwise greatly enjoy; the Merging aspect.

Thanks for your interesting comment, and good luck with the Misty Forest :)"

Well, I'm on the opposite pole of yours: I do like to gamble, and I do like to take risks --and I have done the math that proves it, :D--. Alas, this requires extra bonuses --or higher outcomes--, and on both events, it didn't happened: at a higher risk the outcome was, if anything, equal to, but ofter even smaller than, that of normal risk. The IDavis and Youtube guides were excellent tools to have an idea of how to maximize the usage of the stuff on the Misty Forest, but still, strategy can do only so much. The fact that after collecting every single drop and completing every daily quest my score was barely enough to reach Silver League, speaks volumes. Hence, why gambling just to keep the prices one should be able to achieve directly due to gameplay --if my neighbors are a sample of the world's activity, not even 5% of us play on a daily basis, and not even 5% did complete all the quests and collected all the drops--, indeed. There's no point. What did the game lost on this event from me with this? Well, I didn't bought the royal prices, again --13 or 14 stages cleared are not worth it--, and I didn't spend a single dollar on the event's currency. As it is already clear from both our statements: without certainty of profit, there's no point, since it will be a waste of money.

Lets hope this feedback is actually attended. Thanks for your reply!!!

Last edited: