• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Winter Magic

DeletedUser9468

I find this just nuts. I'm on the bonus quests, I get hard, hard is fine once - as vetrinus said - it's doable.

On one city I hit the bonus with 7 artifacts and now every second quest is scout a province/research a tech - every second one. I have little insta, I wanted instas from this event, now if I want to progress and not sit here waiting 3-4 days for ONE quest and only 20 ribbons I have to use the instas I've gotten so far. I'm not progressing or making an movement at all. I might as well just give up this event in this city and any hope of going further.

On my other city I hit the bonus quests with 9 artifacts even though I play daily and were keeping the cities progress going at about the same rate. This city is getting completely random quests and while only 20, least I'm working on them and can feel like things are moving. Slowly but least it's not a 3-4 day wait every 2nd quest.

The daily prizes are not great, the shuffle prizes are laughable (1KP ? seriously?), but now instead of trying for any I have to be really particular about what I do, with getting 20 ribbons every 3-4 days (excluding the random ribbons). I'm basically looking at only trying 1 prize for the rest of the event, which I probably won't even get. I'm not asking for them to be handed to me, or to get every prize, but a chance is all. I understand the idea of bonus "hardmode" but hard should be hard, not boring, dull, unfun, and essentially nothing for 3-4 days.

"Here's a month long event which you can't do for 2 weeks of it since you'll be sitting there waiting to scout a province over and over"

I didn't find the last 2 events fun but I progressed and I got some prizes so I dealt with it. Even though the "random" aspect was a joke.

Events are meant to be fun, this event isn't fun and it's making the game not fun.

Pauly7

Magus
My views on this whole thing...

Overall I like the new quest mechanics of this event. I am treating the regular quest line as the suggested completion. I have probably 40 odd quests to go and a couple of weeks to do it. I also appreciate not needing high level workshops and manufactories and I think being asked to just pick up a certain amount of supplies or goods is a nice compromise.

One problem for some people is treating the bonus segment the same as the regular quest line. It should just be an added extra for people finishing quickly. There isn't a need to complete those provinces, etc, except for those who want to.

On the negative side the quests themselves need a little more imagination as there are too many variations of gain supplies or gain goods. It could also use an improvement of the quest delivery rules so those similar quests are grouped together and not repeated quickly.

My biggest negative is the entire new reward collection system. There is nothing much constructive I can say about that except bring back the old system. That part of events was never broken. I don't see why we are being given that just because it is similar to FoE.

On a personal note I wish there were more options for non-snowy Winter Event prizes, but that might just be me.

DeletedUser7781

Yea, my experience is much the same. Although not back to back, they're 1 quest removed from back to back. "Produce 88.2k boosted t1 or t2, produce t1 5 x 9hr, produce 88.2k t1 or t2, produce 12 beverages, produce 88.2k t1 or t2...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7781

You're not penalised. You are given "bonuses" as the name suggests. Remember that you have already finished the quest line. In all previous events other than the last couple (which were ridiculous) you would have nothing at all to do now... Hence you are being REWARDED right now.
If this is reward, please dont show me penalisation elvenar style, i am highly frustrated with this event style. to get multi 90 hour quests almost back to back is not reward, believe me, its not. They can shove it where the sun dont reach

OldHag

Necromancer
I've enjoyed this event, finished the regular quests on day 7.
My only criticism and disappointment really is to see a 2nd grand prize available. I don't know if there's another way to do the bonus quests, where we can get extra rewards once past the original without getting a 2nd 'grand prize', but just some bonus items.
I'm probably one of the few that have enjoyed the reward present thing, simply because I like surprises. I do however feel that it's a bit too similar too a 'one armed bandit' gambling machine which is a bit of a concern.

Matohuska

Seeker
Personally found this event a non event. Poorly designed, the 'presents' choice system is poor and whats this 60 point per go??? Get rid of this stupid system and go back to the barrel spin where at least a players could have maybe 3 goes on an 18 barrell for the one go at a 50 now. If the next event is like this I wont do it.

DeletedUser1874

Hello Killiak, Thank you for your welcome!

As with so many of the changes our developers are working on, it does take time for them to be implemented as the nature of programming is never a quick thing. Events take many months of planning and programming prior to even reaching the beta server.

You are also quite right in that we are aware of this as it has been fed back from players.
This simply isn't true, to put it in less colorful terms than Thagdal did. The copy-pasting from FoE is evident, and while it might take a tad of adaptation, it's most certainly not "months of planning and programmming". And as for the events prior to these, they were literally copy-pasted version of themselves, with only some slight change in the numbers such as the cost of chests, which is not something I can't even begin to conceive taking "months of planning and coding". I mean seriously, even the pattern of the daily rewards remained the same, for goodness' sake. It was copypasta at its finest.
The only thing I can understand taking that kind of time (depending upon how many people are on it) is the art section, especially during events where most of the buildings aren't recycled from past events like the Mermaid one, and unlike pretty much all the others we've had this year, with only the Evolving building and a very small bunch of new stuff being new, non recycled assets.

DeletedUser8573

This simply isn't true, to put it in less colorful terms than Thagdal did. The copy-pasting from FoE is evident, and while it might take a tad of adaptation, it's most certainly not "months of planning and programmming".

Maybe they should take you in their dev team then. sigh

We don't know if it took 2 months to plan and implement the event. We don't know if they copy/pasted the event from FoE (even if looks and functions similarly). It even could be that they copy/pasted the code and it took 1 day but spent the 59 days of iterating numbers. No point of criticizing about such a little thing.

DeletedUser1874

Maybe they should take you in their dev team then. sigh

We don't know if it took 2 months to plan and implement the event. We don't know if they copy/pasted the event from FoE (even if looks and functions similarly). It even could be that they copy/pasted the code and it took 1 day but spent the 59 days of iterating numbers. No point of criticizing about such a little thing.
Ah yes, the old "maybe you should do it instead" adagio. Well, sorry to break it to you, but it doesn't take a game developer to make comparisons with the release of content (and its variety, size, &c.) in other games and come to very obvious conclusions. So you see, there's plenty of point in criticizing as far as I'm concerned, and what you call a "little thing", I call "a most embarrassing display". Sorry if my opinion somehow managed to offend you.

DeletedUser2456

Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss the upcoming Winter Magic event that'll start on December 5th.

We're looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Happy Holidays,
Your Elvenar Team
well i think utter rubbish , why when the old events working perfect they change it ,if good leave it alone ,this suppose to be a fun event time to relax picked up few extra nice buildings for year work playing game ,but no to open a box no less then 50 ribbons them ,only one chance getting the daily unless you get a reshuffle ,then have to build house and above all that the ribbons drop to just 20 ribbons per quest ,i had get 2 toolboxs * someone did mention on this chat no need to use currant factorys which is not true ) had quest for get 2 toolboxs 3 times in a row taking 2 days a time and just 20 ribbons each so took near on a week for 60 bows !!!! so after nearly a week i could open just one chest and that just a green flame thing what rubbish that at big chapters , no smaller boxs to open like old ones horrible event ,just for once cant they make something that fun to do and a bit easier for all players to enjoy for holidays theres enough stress doing it all though year

DeletedUser2456

There is good and not so good here:

From what I have seen in the lists, I quite like the way the quests are designed this time. No need to litter your city with a multitude of L1 trash but also not requiring and tying up high level WS and Factories.

On the presents: I can see how it wont be possible to stock up on particular things but I found this getting ridiculous already. Of course I also participated in Wishing Well and Speed Up Instant Hoarding but having several hundred 8h and 14h instants kinda devalues the joy of getting them.
For me this is a chance to be less frantic and tone down the overall pace of my game. Woodelves is pretty anyway.

The grand prize. Uff. No comment. But there is one and only one, which I personally find a good thing.

Overall I'm carefully optimistic. And I am happy that there is no reason to rush and power-play the event.
well actually you do need your full grown w/shops and factorys for quests you just not had the quests yet when you start doing toolboxs and getting same quest 2-3 times in a row when you near minus supplies from them after a week growing you will not be so pleased lol, also if you managing to ge several hunderd 8th and 14th instants can you please put up how got so many as hardly none around when you need them no joy in not getting them as you will find out as get past woods chapter , oh and when you do get quests for toolboxs you will only then be awarded just 20 bows :)

DeletedUser7874

Sorry if someone's mentioned this before, but I don't feel like reading 8 pages of comments on the Winter Event.

I really dislike the amount and frequency of quests to get supplies (tools).
OK, so they;re not exactly 1 after the other, but not far off.
I had get 100k something of supplies, then a different quest then another one to get 100k something supplies, but worded differently but meaning the same thing - make supplies (tools).
Not enough's been done to really randomise the quests.

Timneh

Artisan
well actually you do need your full grown w/shops and factorys for quests you just not had the quests yet

You only need upgraded workshops and factories when you reach the bonus quests and as you are saying that you are only getting 20 bows for each quest that means that you have reached the bonus quests. It was stated in the event announcement that the bonus quests would be harder and need upgraded buildings and that the quests would give less rewards.

Just putting my vote in, in case the devs are counting. This is NOT fun. I don't like the random requests. They repeat too often and that goblin face constantly re-appearing with and hoping this is "not too much to ask". Sorry but IT IS! I am just playing my two cities until there is something I am remotely interested in as a daily prize. Then I am binning the whole event and selling off the junk I don't want or won't use for crafting stuff I do want. Bring back the old style of quests please. I am not playing any of these random things again and you can keep the whole evolving buildings concept because I think it's mugs' game

DeletedUser7874

And there's another quest to make 100k+ supplies (tools).
3 out of the last 5 quests have been to make vast amounts of tools and it's getting irritating.
You have a bunch of 'different' quests (different wording only) to do the same thing (make tools) and they come around too often.

The quests are; (in 'I hope this is not too much to ask')
1. Gain a sack of Supplies
2. Produce fresh Supplies for the local food market
3. Produce fresh Supplies to provide to the inhabitants of your city
4. Produce Supplies to retool your craftsmen and workers

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 1759805

You have a bunch of 'different' quests (different wording only) to do the same thing (make tools) and they come around too often.
Gain quests are different from produce quests. You can drop instants for gain quests; it won't work for produce quests.

Pauly7

Magus
Just as an aside, one positive thing to say from this event which might not have been mentioned much is Pet Food. There is always lots of chat about Pet Food being in short supply, but all of a sudden I'm sitting on 75 of them, so that has to be a good thing.

cwgiii

Shaman
Gain quests are different from produce quests. You can drop instants for gain quests; it won't work for produce quests.

I get that. But, I believe, Kafka1 was speaking to the fact that differences in semantics are not satisfying when the end result is the same. Repetition of the same KIND of quests is a major frustration point. Changing the amount, or gathering mechanism seems like just a flippant shortcut for the devs, rather than addressing the true issue (that they claim to have addressed), repetition.

DeletedUser7874

OK then, so there are 3 quests that are worded differently but are the same and come around too frequently.
I'm not a top level player with 20 max level workshops and I don't have a shedload of workshop boosts either.

I get that. But, I believe, Kafka1 was speaking to the fact that differences in semantics are not satisfying when the end result is the same. Repetition of the same KIND of quests is a major frustration point. Changing the amount, or gathering mechanism seems like just a flippant shortcut for the devs, rather than addressing the true issue (that they claim to have addressed), repetition.
Exactly :)

Deleted User - 1759805

I'm not a top level player with 20 max level workshops and I don't have a shedload of workshop boosts either.
You don't really need nearly that many WS, but PoPs come in handy. I did the regular quests with just 5 leveled (not even maxed) WS + PoPs. Well, with L6 Endless Excavation and Prosperity Towers thrown into the mix. If you load your WS with toolboxes, and hit them with PoPs at collection you can do most of these quests with just 1-2 collections. Produce goods were far more annoying to complete, and during that time WS would reload. I hardly ever waited for completion of any of the supplies quests, even though there were quite a few of those.