• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Winter Magic

Paladestar

Enchanter
Not a fan of this new way of spending the event currency. Way too random.

If going for the daily prize and you find it early, you can't reshuffle until you find the chest that has the shuffle. On the flip side, find the shuffle before the daily prize you want and you miss out the other way around.

Ignoring the horrible way you made it harder for us to target specific daily prizes with this new system, we all need different things in terms of the secondary rewards. With the old 9-chests, pick from 3 at random method, at least I had some choice/control over the secondary prizes I could target. Like I could avoid any chests that have rune shards in them - I have well over ten-thousand of the things already, I do not need more!

Oh yes, and the 1-3 gingerbread per hammer thing. After I spent my stockpiled ribbons the other day, I had 258 hammers to manually 'spend'... do you know how long this took!? Much prefered the automatic way we had before!

dbrad000

Alchemist
With the Winter Magic event winding down, I would like to offer feedback, constructive criticism, and recommendations.

The Good

The red ribbons that appear on the outskirts of the city contrast nicely with the background; since the ribbons are easy to see, I don’t need to scan around my city multiple times looking for ribbons. Additionally, with the overall number of ribbons obtainable from the quest chain returning to more normalized levels seen in older events, the collections around the city are more worthwhile than in the past couple of events.

The artwork, as usual, is quite good. I have the Winter Market Set and the Snow Owls Set in my city anyway, and I think the artwork goes nicely with both the previous winter buildings and the new winter buildings from this event (which are also charmingly designed). I have seen many complaints about the artwork of the evolving building, but I think it works well thematically, and although the artwork is a little busy, I don’t think the building is an eyesore. If the building were placed by itself with no other winter themed buildings, it may look out of place, but as part of a theme, I think it works fine.

Although I am not a fan of the random quest mechanic, the quests for this event were relatively well balanced, and I did not have to tear down my city to redesign it for the duration of one event. I felt the main questline could be completed in an appropriate amount of time, and I felt the “bonus” quest mechanic allowed for appropriate advancement beyond the main questline without the crazy number of prizes flowing from previous events.

The Bad

The overall concept of the gift boxes has potential, but as with many things the developers have done lately, they undermined their own concept. In theory, a player’s chances of gaining the daily prize improve with every random box he or she opens. The player knows the daily prize could be in the next box, and the player knows that every successive box improves the chances of finding the prize. Since a player’s chances are always improving, the player is incentivized for opening more boxes (and spending more ribbons, and potentially buying more ribbons if the player is on the cusp of receiving the daily prize). Which leads me to point out an awful design choice: the decision to include the shuffle as a random occurrence. This decision is truly baffling. The shuffle appearing randomly undermines the entire concept, leading to an overall frustrating experience; instead of a constant feeling of impending reward, the appearance of the random shuffle before the player has obtained the daily prize leads to a feeling of discouragement. Why continue to open boxes when the game will simply be reset at random?

Similarly, the player who is seeking multiple copies of the same daily prize who gets lucky and obtains the daily prize early still has to spend more and more ribbons until the shuffle randomly appears. A player who gets the daily prize in the first box may still have to open most or all of the 15 other boxes to find the random shuffle. This would not be as much of a problem if the individual awards from the boxes were worthwhile. Unfortunately, I feel the ribbons required to open each individual box are too expensive for the rather paltry prizes awarded.

My recommendation: improve the prizes in the boxes, and take away the random shuffle; instead, allow the player to manually shuffle the board for the same number of ribbons it takes to open a box, and award a hammer for the manual shuffle.

The Ugly

Which leads me to another questionable choice: the hammers. The hammers add extra clicks and another unnecessary layer of RNG. A player can get one, two, or three bricks from a hammer, and a house that awards a grand prize takes twenty bricks to build. On average (in theory), a player will get two bricks per hammer, and it will take ten attempts to build the house.

My recommendation: when a player opens a box, just give the player one brick that automatically adds to a house that takes ten bricks to build—no extra clicks and no unnecessary RNG.

DeletedUser8632

I understand much of the grief with the hammers but I am reluctant to agree because it actually gives me a choice WHEN exactly I want to get my grand prizes.

To illustrate: I am very close to the end of my current chapter now and expect to get into the next chapter before or on the last day of the event. Since I have collected hammers but haven't used them yet I can use all my hammers once I hit the new chapter. That means all my "grand" prizes will be from the new chapter - including the second gingerbread house.

m4rt1n

Adept
I understand much of the grief with the hammers but I am reluctant to agree because it actually gives me a choice WHEN exactly I want to get my grand prizes.

To illustrate: I am very close to the end of my current chapter now and expect to get into the next chapter before or on the last day of the event. Since I have collected hammers but haven't used them yet I can use all my hammers once I hit the new chapter. That means all my "grand" prizes will be from the new chapter - including the second gingerbread house.

And if you haven't yet placed the first Gingerbread House, you can then place the second one and upgrade that saving 16 RR spells. :)

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Oh dear, I am accumulating hammers to see how many I get in bonus sections (and bricks), my next grand is a second Gingerbread I don't need, but okay. I am down to 289 ribbons, and with the bonus we all know how little we get, but I have 168 hammers... I planned to use them all the last day. But I think that I will use them throughout these days!

Sir Derf

Adept
1 gift opened -> 1 hammer -> 1-3/20 bricks in a house is operationally the same as
1 orb opened -> 1-3/20 stars in a constellation is operationally the same as
1 shell opened -> 1-3/20 pearls in a line

There was no extra layer of RNG. (Edit - I think I did this once before - yes, it is an added RNG. My bad.)

There was an extra layer of user interaction, which added an extra 2 click per gift opened. Previously you clicked to select an orb, and you clicked to acknowledge the prize you received; now, you click to open a present, click to acknowledge the prize, click to use a hammer and click to actually use the RNG and get your 1-3 bricks.

What there also was was less delaying animations. Previously, you had animation that awarded the 1-3 stars, and animation that shuffled new 3 of 9 orbs with every orb you opened; now you had animation that awarded the 1-3 bricks, but only had animation that reshuffled the 16 gifts once a reshuffle.

I propose a different modification.

Open the gift. Collect the hammers. But, when you go to use the hammers, allow the user to choose how many hammers to use at once.

Suppose you opened 30 gifts and have collected 30 hammers; you could choose to use all 30 hammers at once, Run the RNG 30 times in the background and produce a single announcement to say that you gained 65 bricks, completed 3 houses, and gained the following 3 prizes.

With this change, yes you add 2 extra clicks compared to the original process, but you reduce the total number of RNG operating animation delays.

Last edited:

Paladestar

Enchanter
now, you click to open a present, click to acknowledge the prize, click to use a hammer and click to actually use the RNG and get your 1-3 bricks.

Technically, you get the 1-3 bricks on the hammer click. The pop-up with the bricks flashing around and the OK button is totally superflous, it just animates and then stops on the amount of bricks it was told to from the original response from the server from clicking the hammer. They could have just made it so you click the hammer and then the 1-3 bricks pop up and instantly move into place on the house.

Julian

Sorcerer
There was no extra layer of RNG.

But you could choose which shell / orb to open, and knew how many stars or whatever you would be getting.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
The reward system works pretty much like this: throw 50 ribbons at the system and get a random reward and 1 ... 3 gingerbread bricks. A simple button would have been sufficient for this.

The whole rest - gift card, shuffle button, candy hammers and flickering bricks - just gives the illusion that we'd have a choice and obfuscates the randomness.

Sir Derf

Adept
The reward system works pretty much like this: throw 50 ribbons at the system and get a random reward and 1 ... 3 gingerbread bricks. A simple button would have been sufficient for this.

The whole rest - gift card, shuffle button, candy hammers and flickering bricks - just gives the illusion that we'd have a choice and obfuscates the randomness.
This opens the philosophical discussion of the difference between being given a random item versus making a blind free choice of randomized items.

If, as described above, the underlying implementation of the bricks is that the number of bricks (1, 2 or 3) is randomly determined when you click to first use the hammer and the whole animation and second click is superfluous, then this represents the former, while the gift boxes represents the later.

Deleted User - 1759805

If, as described above, the underlying implementation of the bricks is that the number of bricks (1, 2 or 3) is randomly determined when you click to first use the hammer and the whole animation and second click is superfluous
Can confirm - you can see server response with the number of bricks the moment you click on your hammer; the whole animation piece happens afterwards.

DeletedUser

I have obtained a few daily exclusives. Just a pity there is not enough space to put them down.
Found many times that there is a notification that a ribbon has appeared, but when I selected it there was not ribbon count added.
Have to say. Though some of the daily exclusives was a nice addition, it will be great when this is finished.

Timneh

Artisan
If you have collected ribbons from around your city but they did not add to your total you should send a ticket to support and get them to look into it.

DeletedUser

It is what happened. I wonder if it will really be worth the effort.
It would have been nice to finish the gingerbread house, but sadly the odds are against for achieving that.
I have reached a satisfactory lvl with it, I guess.
Though you would have thought obtaining the last two or three upgrades in a week would be possible.
But then that brilliant hammer idea is very famous for mostly giving one brick at a time.

DeletedUser7907

I wanted to give the new system a proper chance before giving feedback. So, my thoughts are as follows: I much preferred the new random quests. However, once the main quests were completed, I felt that the quests got ridiculously long-winded and only getting 20 ribbons for each was more than disappointing. I also think that it could have been more difficult to get the main prizes (I got too many) and that it was far too difficult to get the daily prizes.

Overall, as I mainly play for the daily prizes (the 30KP instants, in the main), I found this event to be extremely disappointing. When, during past events, I've managed to get well over 500KP's worth of instants in one day, this time I managed to win only around 100 during the entire event - very disappointing!

m4rt1n

Adept
Now the event is coming to a close, I will give more feedback. Going for a daily prize is now very difficult due to the extra layers of RNG added so I didn't get as many dailies as I have done in previous events.

Normal very active play leaves me with 2 gingerbread in inventory and 14 Artifacts but none of the normal extra's from events in the past.

I dislike the extra layer of RNG immensely, why it was added I do not know, but continuously rebuilding the house is sooo boring and repetitive.

This winter event is overall very poor compared to the very nice set buildings of last year, and evolving buildings are being given in overload recently, however the game artists are still doing a great job, it's just a pity the rest of the team is lacking in imagination.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Here comes my feedback:

All bonus hammers, and as you can see, I have a Ferris wheel coming up, and the second ginger:
hammers.JPG

Today:

With zero hammers, about to get a third Ginger.
hammers-3.JPG

Something I do not obviously need:
buildings.JPG

Both level tens. The goblin went soft today, and asked for a few easy question, and now, he requested Toolboxes, so it is over:
true-finale.JPG

So, even with the bonus comes a lot. Notes:

- I have the Stash Outpost, even though most pickups where 1+1, but it is data to mention.
- I boosted about 68 hours (and have over 100hs among many other prizes)

Two gingerbread mansions, a third foundation in the book to rot, hundreds of knowledge points, spells, boosters, crappy buildings, good buildings.
Not so terrible in my end, even tho some days I would deliver a quest, and maybe needing to wait for an additional one, but I played smart, had a magic workshop with a toolbox always, researched as I was told, conquered as he asked, etc... So, that is what you can get playing the event.

Ezusthold

Novice
Sorry if my comment is a bit "out of blue", had no time (yet) to read back the comments, came exclusively to give feedback for the game creators about the Winter event (we just had the official poll but it not offers free text field).
So, here is my summary: I loved the graphics as usual, also the quest line changes (no immediate repetitions) made the event play experience much better but I really deeply hate the new shuffle board. I usually playing for selected daily rewards, and I play a lot during the events to get enough of them to improve my city(and replace the previous chapters custom event buildings). I usually halt my progress on the guest race buildings (I need space) and also not upgrading during this time workshops, manufacturies, having all the harvests scheduled to event quests, etc. . In the current event I obtained a fully evolved gingerbread house and one upgradable to 9/10, and it all would be nice shiny if I were mainly interested in the end reward. Unfortunately I'm not, and the shuffle board took away my control over the tactic I'd like to follow. Until now, during chest opening I was able to go for higher probability of daily reward or more event currency(so going towards the end rewards). With the shuffle board we loose this control, and what is even worse, the automatic reshuffle as soon as we find the reshuffle reward caused me several time to leave the almost fully opened board before I could open the daily reward - there were days when I blown 1000+ ribbons without getting a single daily reward!
It was really pain in the arse, I hope the game creators will reconsider this shuffle board thing, and the very least they make the reshuffle optional (so eg we could decide when to use it after we found).
And now I'm going to read back your comments :))) (and adding a picture of one of my reshuffle diseases - the case when I reached the last 2 boxes, and I opened the reshuffle - the other one left behind was the daily reward...)
C361AA7C-66EB-410E-A438-7F4D5E27FE60.jpeg

Last edited: