• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Troops , battles

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
As a new player , just started chapter 4 in technology, i find the troops very weak to be used. Very early even in chapter 1 provinces was just unbeatable for troops and only way to get a new one was by negotiating the encounters. Which still has not changed, with majority of provinces at red,. When i get a squad upgrade i may get a few provinces to hard but still does not worth to try to take it with troops. In tournament the first 4 or 5 territories,depending tournament, for the first 3 stars are playable with troops, but after that it will be only resources. Spiral best case first 7 battles will be possible with troops.

SO my question is. Do troops value get better later on game? Where you can actual use them to play? Do i play the battles bad?

My question is because now with the new event of phoenix the rewards change from time reduction to units, which i do not see any use for them.

Also as your squad size gets bigger will spiral gets easier? Meaning been able to win more battles with troops? So far i got some upgrades in size but still the experience in the spiral is the same. first 7 is possible with a question for the 8 sometimes it is possible sometimes it is not.

Or the spiral difficult is not static and reflects your strength which will mean it will keep having the same feeling no matter how stronger i become??

Is the same with tournament fight? After so many upgrades and i can not finish even the first territory with troops problems start at 4 star

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Needles of the Tempest
Shrine of the Swredy Shrooms
Craftable buildings in the MA.
Dwarven Armorer in the Spire.
And more...

Problem solved, troops will get stronger as you keep going growing, adding AW, buildings, etc.

But yes, troops get stronger ofc.

DeletedUser9340

Do troops value get better later on game?
Yes.You will unlock many researches that will upgrade your units and find military buildings like barracks which produce more powerful troops.
Is the same with tournament fight? After so many upgrades and i can not finish even the first territory with troops problems start at 4 star.
No matter how much you upgrade your squadsize,it will never affect tournament or spiral squadsize.

Note:
  • Ancient Wonders containing about military will largely help you in the tournament and provinces.
  • Chapter-1 was a tutorial.So it was obvious you would do good in every fight there.

Enigma-Elvenar Beta Group is a newly found group.Here you can get tips & tricks,release notes,suggestions,etc.It contains so little members so it would be kindness if you join my group.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
No matter how much you upgrade your squadsize,it will never affect tournament or spiral squadsize.
Squad sizes are the only thing that influences your tournament squad size. The first province in tournament demands 5% of your barracks squad size, the other provinces are multiples of that.
Province encounters depend on scouting cost. They are independant of barracks squad sizes.
Nothing much is known about the Spire, but it seems that just about everything is took into account.

I found it easier to cater in the beginning and later (chapter 8+ ?) to fight in tournament. In the provinces I almost always cater because it is still cheap for me. The Spire... would be nice if the devs told us what factors in (or is that asked too much in a strategy game?).

In short, every squad size upgrade hurts your tournament performance and makes your province fights easier. Province catering costs are unaffected. I skipped each optional squad size upgrade (but one, because I didn't know then) and would do it again.

DeletedUser9340

Squad sizes are the only thing that influences your tournament squad size. The first province in tournament demands 5% of your barracks squad size, the other provinces are multiples of that.
Sorry I replaced yes with no :(
I found it easier to cater in the beginning and later (chapter 8+ ?) to fight in tournament. In the provinces I almost always cater because it is still cheap for me. The Spire... would be nice if the devs told us what factors in (or is that asked too much in a strategy game?).
I fought at Chapter-8 too because of the Production of orcs but now I produce enough
In short, every squad size upgrade hurts your tournament performance and makes your province fights easier. Province catering costs are unaffected. I skipped each optional squad size upgrade (but one, because I didn't know then) and would do it again.
Agreed :)

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
Province encounters depend on scouting cost. They are independant of barracks squad sizes.
Nothing much is known about the Spire, but it seems that just about everything is took into account.

so you confirm what i have experienced so far
that the fights are dynamic updated to your status and thus even when you get stronger things do not get easier

tournament this time is nightmare i could do 5 territories buying the last 3 stars but now wow the cost to buy them is astronomical i can not do it

so 3 weeks more playing the game. having better production and the difficulty in tournament increased more than my strength increased i end up doing less than i could do a few weeks ago!!!!

okey i have played games where you get stronger things get easier
i have played games that wanted to be challenging and you grow the challenges grow so keeps where in an equilibrium
but wow this is the first time i play a game as you get stronger you can do less

m4rt1n

Adept
I took all the optional squad size upgrades and all it affects is tournament and spire (to some extent) catering costs, the actual fights do NOT get more difficult with squad size upgrades as you also gain extra troops in training and from AW's.

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
I took all the optional squad size upgrades and all it affects is tournament and spire (to some extent) catering costs, the actual fights do NOT get more difficult with squad size upgrades as you also gain extra troops in training and from AW's.
how far down the chapter i have to be to have this wonders?? because the first 2 wonders does nothing on troops on the second 2 one is for troops
but still no lack to get the runes

m4rt1n

Adept
There are AW's at the end of each chapter, some produce free troops, others help speed up training or increase training size or a combo of these.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
This is true for troop producing AWs. The training size also directly relates to squad size. The training speed (which is per unit) however is not affected. Bigger squad size = longer training time. The troop producing event buildings are squad size independant too.

Edit in an effort to make it comprehensible:

SSU does not affect the troop producing AWs.
Troop production to SSU ratio remains.
SSU does not affect training size.
Training size to SSU ratio remains.
SSU affects training time.
Training speed remains, but training size and thus time increases.
SSU affects the troop production of event buildings.
Troop production remains, but there are more units per squad.

Last edited:

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
This is true for troop producing AWs. The training size also directly relates to squad size. The training speed (which is per unit) however is not affected. Bigger squad size = longer training time. The troop producing event buildings are squad size independant too.

Edit in an effort to make it comprehensible:

SSU does not affect the troop producing AWs.
Troop production to SSU ratio remains.
SSU does not affect training size.
Training size to SSU ratio remains.
SSU affects training time.
Training speed remains, but training size and thus time increases.
SSU affects the troop production of event buildings.
Troop production remains, but there are more units per squad.
can you give the full names? since i am new and the short names mean nothing to me
i get it its easy to and faster to write it like this but i have no idea what you talk about
what is the ssu??

Errandil

Conjurer
In the tournaments yours and enemy's squad sizes are based on your world map SS. In the first province your squads are 5% of the map SS, 10% in the second, 15% in the third and so on. And enemy's SS is based on yours and is 85% for the first star in the province, 100% for the second, 115% for the third and so on. So after increasing your map SS you basically need to train more troops for getting the same results, since in the barracks you are training a certain amount of units per hour, and that's unrelated to how many units it takes to form a squad. By the end of the current tech tree the squad size difference between only mandatory upgrades and all upgrades is 64%, and that's a lot.

m4rt1n

Adept
In the tournaments yours and enemy's squad sizes are based on your world map SS. In the first province your squads are 5% of the map SS, 10% in the second, 15% in the third and so on. And enemy's SS is based on yours and is 85% for the first star in the province, 100% for the second, 115% for the third and so on. So after increasing your map SS you basically need to train more troops for getting the same results, since in the barracks you are training a certain amount of units per hour, and that's unrelated to how many units it takes to form a squad. By the end of the current tech tree the squad size difference between only mandatory upgrades and all upgrades is 64%, and that's a lot.

That is correct except the barracks produces more units per training squad as you increase your squad size, meaning I find fighting to be no more difficult after taking SSU's.

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
so your advise is to skip the upgrades when [possible
i am chapter 4 now and that means i already done 3 upgrades i could have missed

Errandil

Conjurer
That is correct except the barracks produces more units per training squad as you increase your squad size, meaning I find fighting to be no more difficult after taking SSU's.
Squad size doesn't influence training speed in the barracks. It can change the training size if you have Dwarven Bulwark built, but you don't train more units per hour after you increase your squad size.
And yes, you won't find fighting more difficult after the research, since the ratio of your units per enemy's stays exactly the same. The only thing that changes is that you are using more units for the same fight and therefore need more time to train units to get the same results.

so your advise is to skip the upgrades when [possible
i am chapter 4 now and that means i already done 3 upgrades i could have missed
Yep, I advise to avoid SS upgrades as much as possible. Since your SS is increasing with each upgrade by the number of upgrade multiplied by 3 the early ones doesn't matter that much. But the more you skip the better in the long run.

m4rt1n

Adept
Squad size doesn't influence training speed in the barracks. It can change the training size if you have Dwarven Bulwark built, but you don't train more units per hour after you increase your squad size.
And yes, you won't find fighting more difficult after the research, since the ratio of your units per enemy's stays exactly the same. The only thing that changes is that you are using more units for the same fight and therefore need more time to train units to get the same results.

Yep, I advise to avoid SS upgrades as much as possible. Since your SS is increasing with each upgrade by the number of upgrade multiplied by 3 the early ones doesn't matter that much. But the more you skip the better in the long run.

I have all fighting wonders built to at least level 11 so find the SSU helpful rather than a hiderence as I fight everything I can either manual or auto depending on round or spire level etc.

I do suggest though that any you do skip in the guest races, you make the guest race goods required for completion before moving on a chapter just incase things change in future. It would save you a lot of time having to rebuild an old guest race should you decide to take the SSU.

Errandil

Conjurer
I have all fighting wonders built to at least level 11 so find the SSU helpful rather than a hiderence as I fight everything I can either manual or auto depending on round or spire level etc.
Since the fighting AWs produce a percentage of your SS each 3h they don't change your total squads output. The only thing that matters with the tournaments is how many squads you can produce in a given amount of time. With buildings like valorian valor having the production tied to chapter and barracks producing units per hour, not squads per hour, the more units you need to form a squad the less provinces you can fight with what you've produced.

I do suggest though that any you do skip in the guest races, you make the guest race goods required for completion before moving on a chapter just incase things change in future. It would save you a lot of time having to rebuild an old guest race should you decide to take the SSU
Yep, that's a good idea. With all the SS upgrades being optional in chapter 15, I'm betting that we will end up with some sort of tournament overhaul and that the map squad size will get beneficial to the tournaments.

FieryArien

Necromancer
@ANIKHTOS, if you are interested in more detailed explanation of how the optional squad size upgrades influence your game, you can read the detailed info I posted here for another forum member, when we touched this topic. It's over there. The not too long discussion in that thread also has some interesting comments.