• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

The Ranger

DeletedUser1353

VXzPeBt.png

So I decided to build a Mercenary Camp yesterday, mostly to see what kind of stats the units produced there have (because the wiki still doesn't have them.. surprise!). And I was thinking the ranger might be the salvation against these tough fights we have in the provinces right now, but I must say I'm dissapointed.

I compared him to my current light range unit, the Master xbowman.

The ranger has "strike back", but that wont really do much if he gets oneshot because of his super low health.
He also has 1 more movement range, which could have its uses.

And he has 1 more initiative.

My conclusion is that even with the added movement and strikeback he's still not on par with the xbowman because of his lower damage and much lower health. And ofcourse the xbowman has a spell that gives -20% dmg to enemies for 3 rounds.

Having 20 initiative (highest in the game I think?) means that he will always move first, but he will also always be targeted first by enemies. There is almost always a wardog, orc or archer squad in enemy provinces, and if they even get one hit off on a ranger squad it will be so crippled (because of low health) that its useless for the rest of the fight or dead.

Suggestion: Add a spell (maybe +dmg?) and add more health, I think he should have more than the crossbowman.

What do you people think about this unit?

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
You cant really compare a 3 star unit with an unupgrade 1 star unit in my opinion.

I think you should be comparing both at 1 star. then by comparison the ranger is a pretty ok unit. Cant wait to see what he will do at 3 stars.

However how and when we can upgrade is unknown, and untill we can upgrade it, i agree he is kinda useless.

For comparison ive added the stats of the A star crossbowman (albe it in dutch)
upload_2016-11-12_15-6-4.png

Deleted User - 106219

The Ranger is unlocked way too late in the game to be of any real use. It wouldn't be so bad if the Mercenary Camp did not share training queue with the Barracks, but it does, and by that time in the game the units from the Barracks seem better overall (since they are upgraded while the Ranger is not).

DeletedUser1829

Ranger has a higher defense against mages, seems like a bit of a glass cannon to take out a mages

DeletedUser1353

Ranger has a higher defense against mages, seems like a bit of a glass cannon to take out a mages

Yeah I noticed that too, but not really much of a cannon considering his low damage and will still get taken out by for example other archers/wardogs/orcs before he can do some good dmg vs any enemy mages I think.

And the master crossbowman has just 10% less defense vs mages compared to the ranger after he applied his debuff and alot more hp and damage on top of that.

DeletedUser1829

Currently I haven't found a need for any of the units from the merc camp or training grounds, cerberus could be the exception depending on game era. I am some distance off researching ranger and road testing them but I can't see the practice changing much from the theory.

They have set themselves a huge challenge to distinguish each unit enough to be needed somewhere. If they make one too strong people will use it in all fights, if it is their main unit they will just not build the extra buildings to save space. What about cost of the ranger in supplies? Is it similar to a crossbow/archer?

DeletedUser1353

Currently I haven't found a need for any of the units from the merc camp or training grounds, cerberus could be the exception depending on game era. I am some distance off researching ranger and road testing them but I can't see the practice changing much from the theory.

Totally agree, all 3 units from the merc camp seems more or less useless compared to what we already got.

They have set themselves a huge challenge to distinguish each unit enough to be needed somewhere. If they make one too strong people will use it in all fights, if it is their main unit they will just not build the extra buildings to save space. What about cost of the ranger in supplies? Is it similar to a crossbow/archer?

Yeah, maybe they have taken water over their head with having too many units to balance. Regarding the cost, I deleted my merc camp now again so I'm not sure, but doubt it's that much different from our other units.

Hi Guys, i cant preduce ranger ll, mercenary camp is lev 12, have 5 x armorys breeding grounds on len 29. I can preduce all other units in MCamp but not Ranger 2, says , Not possible to start production. Invalid production amount. What does this mean? If anyone can help please and thank you.

Feridya

Senior Game Moderator
Elvenar Team
Hi Guys, i cant preduce ranger ll, mercenary camp is lev 12, have 5 x armorys breeding grounds on len 29. I can preduce all other units in MCamp but not Ranger 2, says , Not possible to start production. Invalid production amount. What does this mean? If anyone can help please and thank you.
Hi there. This is indeed a Bug right now. Please see >>> this <<< thread for further information. :)