• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Spire and Tournament - Resources-Orcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinervaOz

Enchanter
I'm struggling to understand what your question is, or what exactly you are saying has changed in the last 3 months.

If you are losing battles that you would have expected to win, the likeliest explanation is that the terrain was unfavourable, and/or the AI was being particularly stupid that day. It happens. It doesn't mean you'll have to cater everything from now on. If you're seeing more challenging troop combinations you've probably just been unlucky with the random aspect. By the end of the chapter fighting will be easier anyway, as the last of the merc camp troops get their 3rd star.

If you're saying you're suddenly running low on orcs ... you're in Chapter 15, where orc requirements are heavy. From memory (it's a long time since I did that chapter) around 1 million are needed, and more if you're going to use them to negotiate. So you probably will have to have more orc-producing buildings, at least temporarily.

If you're saying neither of these things then please explain as we're going round in circles.

owl76

Bard
If you're saying you're suddenly running low on orcs ... you're in Chapter 15, where orc requirements are heavy. From memory (it's a long time since I did that chapter) around 1 million are needed, and more if you're going to use them to negotiate. So you probably will have to have more orc-producing buildings, at least temporarily.
Yes, lots of orcs needed in chapter 15. They are used for training a workforce and for the barracks and mercenary camp upgrades. My final merc camp upgrade is waiting on producing enough orcs. And I have an AW upgrade also wanting orcs.

kurgkurg

Conjurer
My chapter is 14 and my goal is to do as much is possible, I never give up so easely , many times I reached in Spire of Eternity the top and in Tournament like I said before ; 26 - 28,may be more in first stage,24 next,22 and so on...
ch 14 is a good chapter, you can do it fast with PP only, no settlement is needed, only Portal. Maybe hard to get through the next ch, but at the end of ch 15 you get Simia, which is in my opinion the best AW in this game and give you more troops and power. Also, Timewarp will be very useful for comfort, but Simia is the best.
and there is the right spot to sit a little before you go on and gain more power for your city because the spot at the end of ch 15/ ch 16 beginning is the best place to fight.

Last edited:

SkyRider99

Immortal
I have 9.

Just because you don't like an answer does not mean it isn't valid.
Nine armories is impressive @Killiak. I have seven (7). Two at L39, three at L41, and two at L42. Running non-stop 12hr productions I just keep up, if I am careful not to cater too many tournament provinces that ask for 12K (or more) orcs each time. I need to have more than 200K orcs before every tournament. And that is after I have used any for training Orc Warriors. :(

I am Chapter 20. But anyone can see that from ElvenStats. ;)

1682989076869.png

Killiak

Artisan
At this point in time, in my city, having nine armouries is no longer about Orcs but has become about training size. Combined with my ancient wonders, it effectively gives me enough size, so that the training time is long enough, which leads to not having to worry about when I log in during the day; there is always training going on.

An empty training queue is one of your worst enemies if you want to have enough troops for spire and tournament.

kurgkurg

Conjurer
I know how to fight at my level, don't worry but this is working only to one point, SORRY .......
seems you don't know all, because it's definitely possible to do all with fighting. I do. Btw for me, it seems that on tourney provinces over 50 are easier to fight than before it. I know, I should negotiate more on tourneys, but I forget it always because I used to fight. And I have not only my top-level fighting city, but also some cities in lower chapters, so I know how they work on different levels.
The only place I use negotiating is some spots in Spire with difficult fights when I don't have any boosters active.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
From previously also there is buildings which make ORCS not only armories because they take a lot of space, more than usually buildings, at least on my level, ex for buildings : Succulent crabs, the Scare carriage, so on ......
Yes, those buildings also indeed produce orcs, but they're not the most efficient in terms of how many orcs they produce per hour, per square.
You might want to check out this list https://www.elvenarchitect.com/buildings/compare/orcs/ to compare which buildings are the most efficient. Orc Nests and Orc Ships at your chapter level will give you the most efficient production. However, having more armories certainly has a benefit too, since they will help you in being able to produce more troops per hour in your training facilities too, which will help in fighting, so armories are a very good choice to help in both areas. If you really want to concentrate on negotiating though, go for Orc Nests and Orc Ships.

So it's not the size of a building that matters, it's the production efficiency. Also make sure you have buildings in your city that match your chapter. You currently have 3 Orc Nests from chapter 12, you might want to craft some new ones for your current chapter 15 and replace the old ones with those, since they'll be more efficient.

And as other people said, give your city a more efficient re-design. Use this template (which is a direct link to your personal city design at this moment), to play around with different setups: https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/5474f5d127064225a218c269e6780e9b/

Last edited:

C-Nymph

Necromancer
And as other people said, give your city a more efficient re-design. Use this template (which is a direct link to your personal city design at this moment), to play around with different setups: https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/5474f5d127064225a218c269e6780e9b/

@clau63

For example, this is what you could do with the space you have if you rearrange everything in a more efficient way: https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/32875806bbee48c1b49e98cab5689c93/

I just did a quick shuffle with the position of all the current buildings in your city, it's up to you to decide which ones you want to upgrade/keep/sell/teleport, but this just gives you an idea of the actual free space you currently have in your city but which you are currently not using to its full capacity because of the way you have your buildings placed. If you optimise, you actually have quite a nice area available for your guest race buildings :) 337 empty tiles!

In case you want some more tips on how to use your space most efficiently, here are the 'rules' I apply in my cities to get the best use of the available space:

- If in anyway possible, always connect buildings to roads with their short side
- Make streets as long as possible, from one side of the city to the other side and never have roads run along the edge of your city (in order to use both sides of the roads for maximum space efficiency), and have as few corners as possible
- If you must place a building on a corner (streetcorner of a building-block), try filling the long side with smaller road-requiring buildings (2x1's or 4x2's)
- Culture never ever gets a road connection! Unless it's an event building that requires a road connection. But culture-only buildings and pop-cult hybrids get a spot in a roadless corner of the map, preferably as far away from the Main Hall as possible, I'd recommend using the exact opposite corner (tip: in elvenarchitect, you can select a setting to see which buildings require a road)
- Group same size buildings (and same orientated buildings) together as much as possible, again for road & space efficiency
- Bigger buildings get a place at the end of the street. Try to have the monstersize buildings connected on 1 square only.

Good luck!

Last edited:

clau63

Alchemist
In conclusion when I need to upgrade my armory, need ORCS, when I train soldier in Training Grounds also need ORCS, when I choose Diplomatic at Spire of Eternity also need Orcs from some level, when I choose Diplomatic at Tournament from the 22 encounter also need ORCS , so GENTLEMANS the question is anybody to have any answer to this.....there is no answer, may be to lower guys but not for me...:)

clau63

Alchemist
"the question is for everybody" Well, I'm a somebody, so a part of everybody, here's my 2 snails...

Why from a few months ago...? Good question. I'm not aware of any game-wide change to either the Spire or Tournaments a few months ago, especially not one that effected the difficulty/cost of participation. So, I'm left to consider the alternative question... "What changed in your city from a few months ago?" Did you add new expansions to your city? Complete new researches? Advance into a new Chapter?

This game became more and more difficult to play. You advance in the game, your city gains more area allowing more buildings, you gain access to more and different buildings, your existing buildings become more efficient at production... and the game responds by adding more challenges, adding more resources, increasing the pop and culture needs, increasing the fighting and catering needs.

If these general observations, similar to those already offered, aren't sufficient to your needs, if, as you say, you need "a real answer to match", then I politely suggest we need more information.

In a separate post, you state your goal is "I want to reach the last level at Spire of Eternity....or to have at least 26 encountres in Tournament at one level.", but what are you bringing to the table? What chapter are you in? How far along in it are you? What do you have in your city, how many and what level? What is your production/collection schedule? What is your catering vs. fighting strategy?
is anywhere writing that I did or I didn't do what you say ?? , or may be I am so stupid so I didn't do anything, seems like you have all answers so you don't need anything to say because you have your own style....what am I doing here of course between so many " illuminated heads ".....?? Of course I have new expansion and not only one, lets be honest , nobody have all answers ( also I built new armory ) WHAT did you say : - it was about taken lunch or what ??.....if you want to talk we talk but please do not offend others ,thank you for saying nothing....:) ( also you are very cool interpreting what others talking )....come on, I am here to ask for a solution not to listen aberrations WE ARE HERE TO LISTEN and TO ask EACH OTHERS .....

Last edited by a moderator:

MinervaOz

Enchanter
In conclusion when I need to upgrade my armory, need ORCS, when I train soldier in Training Grounds also need ORCS, when I choose Diplomatic at Spire of Eternity also need Orcs from some level, when I choose Diplomatic at Tournament from the 22 encounter also need ORCS , so GENTLEMANS the question is anybody to have any answer to this.....there is no answer, may be to lower guys but not for me...:)
Yes you need a lot of orcs. Did you come here just to be offensive or do you have an actual question?

BlueBlou

Illusionist
Clau63, I had a peek at your city and from the decorations placed, I can see you have been playing a long time. Lol, you are more of a veteran than I am and I am sure you also have come to the conclusion that Elvenar was not written to be easy. (There will always be something that one struggles with). The question usually for me is how can you produce more of what you need or how can you eliminate the need.

You have mentioned what you need orcs for and there is no disputing that you need it for progress, spire catering or tournament catering at times. I try to avoid making troops with orcs as I feel that is the biggest drain on my orc numbers. Luckily the brown bear and the grounds of orc strategists are able to cover what I need with regards to troops requiring orcs as part of the production.

I have chapter 12 and 14 cities. I have 4 armouries placed during normal playing times which are reduced to two during FAs. I also grab whatever orc ship I can during events and those placed along with orc nests enable me to play at a sustainable level. One has got 1 million orcs and the other about 200k. I neither fight exclusively, nor cater exclusively.

Everyone is entitled to play this game to their own style of play, so I used to tell people that there is no right or wrong way to play this game. However, sometimes one is forced to go back to the drawing board and rethink about what is important for your game. From the bits and pieces I have read of this thread, there are some excellent suggestions which you could implement if you like.

Sir Derf

Adept
2 months away and you run back to an early response, from a point when you asked questions and made challenges but gave no context from which we could give a useful answer. And you yell at me.

You've been playing your Arendyll city for 5 years. You've continued to be active over the last 2 month. The Elvenstats graph shows a massive exponential gain over the less month or so, increasing by over 10%. Good on you.

You want to achieve certain goals. Certain arbitrarily decided goals. Those goals need orcs. A lot of orcs. You want more orcs, faster orcs. Then produce more orcs. Add more Armories. Craft more orc buildings. Win more event buildings that produce orcs.

Need more population, need more space?

Then please, for all that's holy, clean up your city. Bold and italics yell at me, I'll get a little confrontational in return. I don't understand how a player at your level can have a city this poorly arranged. This should not be the layout of a 5-year veteran. Twisty, turny roads, most of them well under-leveled for your current Chapter, in multiple places curling around three sides of a buildings. You've upped your Golden Abyss from level 5 to Level 14... keep going up to Level 30, like many of your others. Buildings of all shapes and sizes all over the place. Culture buildings in the middle of your city, with road connections, some for the full side, some for the full long side. Unused, unusable space all over the city; I think you've actually increased the number of unused squares since 2 months ago. You've got 19 Evolving Buildings placed, which I think is 1 more from 2 months ago, and don't have the Echoes of the Forgotten, an even more efficient orc producer than the Witch's Hut?

This city has so much untapped potential. Start tapping...

OldHag

Necromancer
I reckon the answer is you need more Orcs. ;)

Killiak

Artisan
Just curious... how's the Orc collecting going?

Well, their city is still a considerable mess. There's a whole lot in there that serves no purpose (such as 12!!! magic workshops) , but at least they have been upgrading that one single armoury that was stuck at a lower level... but added no more armouries.

I am going to hazard a guess that it is still going rather poorly. Apparently, they weren't here to: "WE ARE HERE TO LISTEN and TO ask EACH OTHERS ....."

C-Nymph

Necromancer
I am going to hazard a guess that it is still going rather poorly. Apparently, they weren't here to: "WE ARE HERE TO LISTEN and TO ask EACH OTHERS ....."
I think by now we've given them all the answers they needed, they just didn't want to hear them. I will at least not be answering any more questions they have if they do not even have the decency to thank us for the time we took to answer them but instead start capslock-yelling...

Status
Not open for further replies.