• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Official Discord server arrives September 11th 2023!

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
It is so lovely to see some of our lovely lurkers here - welcome and thank you for contributing!

Killiak

Artisan
It is so lovely to see some of our lovely lurkers here - welcome and thank you for contributing!

You are abandoning the forums, no longer doing announcements here, and will soon be losing a good portion of your community because they don't WANT to go to Discord.

Playing nice won't change the negative feedback into a positive one. "Welcome and goodbye" is more like it.

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
To reiterate:
  • As mentioned in the Discord announcement, the forums are remaining open for at least the upcoming months. Nothing is getting deleted right now or in the immediate future
  • We love the passion we are seeing that players have about the forums, a new community channel is still necessary since we have to try to engage with more people also via more modern platforms, as we already do on social media
  • But we are open to keep investigating how to keep this forum community active, together, in a constructive way, by also collecting all input on the subject.
So please try not to misinterpret our actions and wording, we are doing our best to try to stretch to manage both - hence we are actively recruiting for additional volunteers to boost the moderating team for Support, the Forum and Discord.

Anni-Lizzie

Spellcaster
To reiterate:
  • As mentioned in the Discord announcement, the forums are remaining open for at least the upcoming months. Nothing is getting deleted right now or in the immediate future
  • We love the passion we are seeing that players have about the forums, a new community channel is still necessary since we have to try to engage with more people also via more modern platforms, as we already do on social media
  • But we are open to keep investigating how to keep this forum community active, together, in a constructive way, by also collecting all input on the subject.
So please try not to misinterpret our actions and wording, we are doing our best to try to stretch to manage both - hence we are actively recruiting for additional volunteers to boost the moderating team for Support, the Forum and Discord.
I’m not sure many are misunderstanding as such, as original announcements and comments to follow talked about discontinuing the forums. Now it seems that the door is ever so slightly open to - in some form, keeping it open if a way forward can be worked out. As you state, you (meaning inno) are only responding to the constant requests to use discord. I appreciate this will allow you to reach more people. So here is this thread you are hearing from the many requests and thoughts not to use discord. It seems you have a dilemma now. More forward to ‘engage’ a younger demographic, who may or may not give you the years of commitment that can be found on the forums and in turn, loose this group, or try to find a way forward to accommodate all. You didn’t drop the forums when taking to Facebook or Instagram, why should opening yourselves up to discord mean you have to sacrifice this platform.
I understand business decisions. But to ‘move forward’ you cut your base in half, so how far forward will you actually get? I can’t begin to imagine the work involved in consolidating all the information held in this and the other forums. But seems to me there are some very, very clever people with loads of passion for this game right here at your fingertips. Perhaps, where there’s a will there’s a way?
signed ’in hope’

Killiak

Artisan
To reiterate:

I can't imagine it is a stretch to copy paste announcements, so that people who are not using Discord but ARE lurking the forum, can remain informed.

OldHag

Necromancer
I fixed the 'claim account' issue with help from my Canadian genius friend and I discovered I can still post a tune (or two) a day in the lounge, so I'm happy about that but it's still not as pleasing to the the eye as the forums. It looks like there are as many lurkers there as there are on the forums. :)

m4rt1n

Adept
I fixed the 'claim account' issue with help from my Canadian genius friend and I discovered I can still post a tune (or two) a day in the lounge, so I'm happy about that but it's still not as pleasing to the the eye as the forums. It looks like there are as many lurkers there as there are on the forums. :)

And 2 or 3 members from the forum that now haven't posted here in a while and seem to be the main posters there, so a split community. I am sure Inno didn't intend that as a consequence.

Morning Town

Alchemist
yet another "lurker" emerging from the trees. I will not be joining "Discord", whilst any cyber exposure is a risk, the extreme increase in risk of the "Discord" 3rd party product, which is outwith the control of Inno, is in my opinion not justifiable..... to reference a cyber security provider report:-

"...Although the aforementioned threats apply to all Discord users, they relate mainly to those who use Discord as a game add-in: for voice and text communication, streaming, collecting gaming statistics, and so on. Such use entails substantial customization and adds to users’ risks of finding and installing malicious extensions."

so this creates the bizarre situation that a request has been made in "my" Fellowships that any fellow joining "Discord" reposts any official INNO announcements etc on our fellowship chat for the "non (majority) discord" fellows :confused:

Last edited:

McBratty

Enchanter
I’m not sure many are misunderstanding as such, as original announcements and comments to follow talked about discontinuing the forums. Now it seems that the door is ever so slightly open to - in some form, keeping it open if a way forward can be worked out. As you state, you (meaning inno) are only responding to the constant requests to use discord. I appreciate this will allow you to reach more people. So here is this thread you are hearing from the many requests and thoughts not to use discord. It seems you have a dilemma now. More forward to ‘engage’ a younger demographic, who may or may not give you the years of commitment that can be found on the forums and in turn, loose this group, or try to find a way forward to accommodate all. You didn’t drop the forums when taking to Facebook or Instagram, why should opening yourselves up to discord mean you have to sacrifice this platform.
I understand business decisions. But to ‘move forward’ you cut your base in half, so how far forward will you actually get? I can’t begin to imagine the work involved in consolidating all the information held in this and the other forums. But seems to me there are some very, very clever people with loads of passion for this game right here at your fingertips. Perhaps, where there’s a will there’s a way?
signed ’in hope’
Very well said, Anni, I couldnt agree with you more.
At the end of the day there has to be a way to retain the forums. If its just a matter of hiring a couple more Moderators to help with the additional workload, then we need to start scouring the establishment for people....
Anyone who signs on now to be a moderator is making a big contribution towards saving the Forums for us all!!

m4rt1n

Adept
To join our Discord server, you must have received an invite link to do so. These are only available from Elvenar itself and the Forum. Community Managers and our wonderful Moderators are at hand to remove anyone that is disrespectful or rude etc: much as we do here on the Forum.
As with creating an account anywhere, mindfulness is key with using emails and unique passwords as well as a name there and even an additional different display name.
Hoping this helps :)

That doesn't seem correct to me, I have the ability to send a link to join the elvenar community section on Discord, it gave me a link that expires in 7 days. So from that assume that any member there can invite anyone to join.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
Once you are a member, you can indeed then send a link to other people yes m4rt1n. We added this to help our players find their way there :)
Or non-players...
So all you need is one person with bad intentions that invites a troll army that can then freely terrorise the server. Great!
Seems the forum where you actually need a player account to join is a safer place that you (the CM/mods/Inno) have more control over.

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
One would hope that all of our fabulous players would wish to keep Discord a safe and friendly place, and we can always remove and ban any ''troll or troll army'' the same as we can here. Not that we have had to often here on the forum, but it has been known.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
One would hope that all of our fabulous players would wish to keep Discord a safe and friendly place
I believe that is wishful thinking.
we can always remove and ban any ''troll or troll army'' the same as we can here.
And this seems like creating extra work where you already are understaffed.

I think there could be an easier, more efficient method. Since Discord accounts are not tied to the game-accounts like here on the forum, you should implement an extra security measure that only enables actual Elvenar players to join the Discord server. So have one of Inno's programmers build a Discord bot that can quickly scan a database with all member's names, that requires anyone wanting to join the server to first give their player name and the game-server they play on, and then the bot checks to see if that player indeed exists on that game-server, before granting them access to the Discord server. And if that player does not exist, they simply are not allowed to join the Discord server.

Morning Town

Alchemist
Discord, by its design, encourages chat and therefore casual interaction. In many Discord servers, members chat about daily lives, share recipes and weather reports and silly memes, tell funny family stories. It’s community, social media in the literal sense. The official Elvenar group, however, has rules prohibiting all these sort of interaction to protect users’ privacy, which makes sense, but will create a conundrum between Discord's logical, instinctual use of the platform and the intended, moderated use by Inno!

I am shocked to read that the forums will be closed! Discord is not a good or full replacement for a forum and should not be implemented as being just as valuable. It provides much less overview, makes searching for information or discussions on certain topics in the past less easy, information is just less easily accessible.

I am very sceptical though about why you are actually asking for our feedback on this, because from the announcement it seems that it’s already a done deal and eventually the forums will be closed, no matter what we say.

And when you finally do close the forums, what will happen to the enormous amount of valuable information on this forum, will it at least remain accessible so that we can still read (just not reply to) the threads? Or will the forums be closed entirely and we lose everything that is readily available now?
I have been around Discord for several years, and was in the original one--easy to follow, easy to get where I wanted to be. The second iteration was, for me, a disaster, and it was like being plunked down in a totally strange arena with no idea how to get from A to B. Im both sorry and pleased that Im not the only one in such a quandary. And if Elvenar goes full Discord with its comment section, I have my doubts about trying to find my way around this, too.
Sometimes change is a step forward, and sometimes it's a stubbed toe.