• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Behind the Scenes: Fellowship-based Tournaments

Timneh

Artisan
The fellowship tournament was part of the latest game update and they always take place on a Wednesday and that is why it started late this week. They go back to starting on a Tuesday next week.

DeletedUser

Is it just me, or have the fights become much much harder with the addtion of the new troops? I'm not a "real" fighter as I just auto-fight, I have neither the time nor inclination to sit here and do every encounter one by one, but I'm really really struggling to kill anything now.

My human city is now in orcs and I have every tech done up to those needing loot or shrooms of wisdom, but in the 4th round of provinces 5 and 6 I only managed to clear 2 encounters... thats 2 encounters out of 16! I had to cater the rest. If it is still the case that scouting too far on the world map doesn't affect tournaments then I should be able to clear at least 6 encounters out of every province, even if I lose most of my troops to do so.

My elf city has finished woodelves and is just marking time until the next guest race comes out, I make troops 24/7 as I have 6 x lvl 23 armories and I lose 10-15 squads of troops for every round I do, first round I managed 11 provinces, 2nd and 3rd rounds it was 10 provinces, 4th round it was 5 provinces and I've had to give up... I have done every tech in the tree, there is nothing missing at all, not even the little techs that are dead ends, my squad sizes are 1494 so as can be seen I have lost a phenomenal number of troops.

I don't believe catering to be the option either, to cater my way through Province 6 round 4 I would need:
62,400 steel
48,000 planks
62,400 scrolls
24,000 silk
54,400 dust

I am in a regular fellowship, probably the same amount of people doing tournaments as might be found in any other fellowship which hasn't been made specially for tournaments and we are currently half of the distance to the 4th checkpoint with 1d and 1h to go. When there is a goal to reach it should be attainable with some effort by those who would be called average, it should be easy for those who are primarily focussed on tournaments and it should be hard for those who don't care one way or the other. My fellowship will never reach the last checkpoint if the battles stay as they are and the last checkpoint is so far out of reach.

This game has gone from a city building game with some fighting, to a game which is focussed on fighting with some city building thrown in - there are 3 different buildings to produce troops and we're told there will be 15 different troop types, compare this to a new guest race every few months with its own unique buildings making it possible to upgrade the city buildings (that must be the city building part of the game). Lets compare it to Tribal Wars which I played 13 years ago where you make troops, upgrade buildings, fight each other stealing goods, killing troops and ultimately taking over other villages - there are 3 different buildings to produce troops with about 12 different troop types, there is a place to research or upgrade the troops, there are various buildings which are built according to the level of the main hall and which are then upgraded, the game needs various goods in order to work on buildings/troops and the emphasis of the game is on fighting.

If this is truly a city building game as it was advertised when I first started to play then the emphasis should be on city building, however if this is a game which is focussed on fighting then that should be made clear, if I'd known this was the way the game would go I would never have started playing, much less put my money into it!

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
If this is truly a city building game as it was advertised when I first started to play then the emphasis should be on city building, however if this is a game which is focussed on fighting then that should be made clear, if I'd known this was the way the game would go I would never have started playing, much less put my money into it!
Ill be the advocate of the devil here:

In other words, Inno succesfully managed to make money out of you with 'false' advertising. Money they wouldnt have made if they made fighting emphasis more clear. So in other words, its not in inno's best interested to cerrect the false emphasis

DeletedUser

Ill be the advocate of the devil here:

In other words, Inno succesfully managed to make money out of you with 'false' advertising. Money they wouldnt have made if they made fighting emphasis more clear. So in other words, its not in inno's best interested to cerrect the false emphasis
I'd say that it wasn't false advertising at the beginning as it was clearly a city building game, but as time has gone on the emphasis has gone from city building and more towards fighting. I wonder if a new person to the game would describe it as a city building or fighting game.

DeletedUser1829

Is it just me, or have the fights become much much harder with the addtion of the new troops? I'm not a "real" fighter as I just auto-fight, I have neither the time nor inclination to sit here and do every encounter one by one, but I'm really really struggling to kill anything now.

When there is a goal to reach it should be attainable with some effort by those who would be called average, it should be easy for those who are primarily focussed on tournaments and it should be hard for those who don't care one way or the other. My fellowship will never reach the last checkpoint if the battles stay as they are and the last checkpoint is so far out of reach.

Some of the new province troops have made certain provinces harder. Abbot is a good example and has been around for a bit longer then some others. Thankfully with abbot the counter is cerberus. I expect the other new units will have a similar counter unit but I haven't had the time to figure it out and it should be easier to work out then it is.

My concern is the unattainable goal and its effect on peoples willing to do tournaments. I agree with you that they should be set for the average person. Inno did mention (on beta) they have a higher expectation which I can live with but my view of higher is still a long long way from the current which most of us see as impossible.

If it is still the case that scouting too far on the world map doesn't affect tournaments then I should be able to clear at least 6 encounters out of every province, even if I lose most of my troops to do so.

It is believed that scouted provinces (not competed) impacts cater costs. This is a major sting in the tail of the recent updates. Then costs (to my knowledge) have not changed but the change in combat along with this existing mechanism really hurt certain players twice, the fellowship tournaments and new province troops just adds salt to the wound.

Killiak

Artisan
I am curious if you will get rewards for being active in the tournament whilst not in the fellowship you did the provinces in.

Edit by Muf-Muf: Removed part of post referring to now deleted post.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2886

I'd say that it wasn't false advertising at the beginning as it was clearly a city building game, but as time has gone on the emphasis has gone from city building and more towards fighting. I wonder if a new person to the game would describe it as a city building or fighting game.

its neither.

1)
a) the fighting is irrelevant because squad sizes are so far off your own the more you scout that they may as well change auto fight to auto lose
b) playing the game manually is so dull anyway

2)
you cant rotate buildings. you cant store things temporarily as buildings expand. all you can do is sell buildings and roads, so yeah its a building game that takes away the element of building in my opinion. take a game like minecraft or dragon quest builders. when you need to rearrange things you can move them or break them down into raw materials, and they are still there.

Id say its more a game about managing resources and completing orders lol

Edit by Muf-Muf: Removed inappropriate part of post.

DeletedUser2886

Did the fellowship lose the progress you gained for them when you were kicked?

ive no idea. I reported the player in question and still waiting for a reply from the GM.

imo the outcome should be they are deducted the points from the help I gave since it was his choice to expel me. I didn't leave. I would have done after the tournament was over though tbh based on the way he was talking to me. That still doesn't give me back the lost kp from two rounds of the tournament (10 provinces in each), or the goods i used in the region of 40k. had I known he was an asshole I would have just saved them all together for another tournament of my boost, or just scouting for expansions

the worst outcome imo would be is if their score included my help and they got the rewards, and I got nothing

DeletedUser66

Unfortunately I don't see anything happening since there is no rule I can find they have transgressed.

I do hope they lose the points though, and I have a suspicion they would when the tournament ends if they haven't already. It's only fair they do.

Sorry to hear about your losses though.

DeletedUser2886

Unfortunately I don't see anything happening since there is no rule I can find they have transgressed.

I do hope they lose the points though, and I have a suspicion they would when the tournament ends if they haven't already. It's only fair they do.

Sorry to hear about your losses though.

well ill never know about if they get them other than messaging someone after it ends. ill let you know if I get anything myself. if they lose it I still think its a terrible system because someone could be on a boost and have to wait god knows how long for another...or be on a quest that requires certain relics he cant get easily by any other means. innogames defo needs to change something...maybe you cant expel during tournamemts, I preferred it the old way tbh

Tiriake

Soothsayer
I don't think fellowship tournaments is well thought through. I mean usually fellowships should be balanced, so that we could trade. Tournament is set for one boosted good, but we only have limited number of people who would be intrested in those relics. Besides the goals are so hard to achieve, while the rewards from the chest really are not worth the trouble to get them.

DeletedUser

I don't think fellowship tournaments is well thought through. I mean usually fellowships should be balanced, so that we could trade. Tournament is set for one boosted good, but we only have limited number of people who would be intrested in those relics. Besides the goals are so hard to achieve, while the rewards from the chest really are not worth the trouble to get them.
Relics aren't just for the people who have that boost but also to use in the MA and to upgrade AW. I found this week's tournament really hard but as a fellowship, some of whom do tournaments regularly for kp, relics and shards, and some who don't bother, we got 15kp along with the other spells, shards and relics.

I'm still not happy about them as I don't see how the last reward would ever be achievable, not even in a fellowship which has been set up just for tournaments, but I'll wait and see what happens in the next one which starts tomorrow.

DeletedUser1829

I'm still not happy about them as I don't see how the last reward would ever be achievable, not even in a fellowship which has been set up just for tournaments, but I'll wait and see what happens in the next one which starts tomorrow.

They are meant to be reviewing this, I just hope EN servers are normal in participation and now low. If some servers go crazy on this rewards will likely be set for them and everyone else miss out. Even if they do reduce the reward level do not expect a huge reduction, partly because it is easier for them to lower it then increase it.

DeletedUser2886

well that too...but 10kp and 15kp would have been great boosts for me. ive literally been cheated out of something I deserved

Yes they lost his progress
evidence?

ok after just waking up....

well on my other city it appears the rewards have been applied and no message/prompt of the tournament being over. I'm not even sure if they have because I would rave recived 8kp from being asleep...and my kp are at 10 so appears not because we did a 10 and 15 kp chest meaning I should have 25kp plus the 8 from sleeping

when I looked at the arendyll one there was some message about the tournament has ended and your rewards will be applied soon, but they haven't ofc

Edit by Muf-Muf: Merged multiple posts into one.

DeletedUser3066

Having just finished my first 'Fellowship Tournament' I thought it was an improvement over the neighbourhood based ones by a lot. I have maybe 10 regular neighbours and only 3 of them would take part in tournaments at any one time so I don't think we ever actually hit any milestones. I don't know if it's just because we're pretty laid-back in my FS but we don't care so much who contributes what. It's obvious that those who want the KP and relics are going to contribute more than those who don't, although we did try to encourage everyone to complete the first round to make sure they received part of the rewards.

Having the milestones be more realistic would make it even better. I made it to 6 stars with the first 5 rounds and I had to pour A LOT of resources into it. It's just not realistic to expect everyone in a fellowship to be able to do that, especially the players with smaller cities who maybe don't play as much and might not have the resources to spare when it's not even for their boosted goods.
Also, I don't think anyone in my FS actually has magic residences or workshops...so there's not really any drive there for the blueprints lol The idea of being able to upgrade those buildings is a good one, imo, but we also need something equivalent for non-diamond players to engage more people.

One thing I thought was odd was that the random rune I received as a reward from the tournament was for the Hero's Forge...but no-one in my FS has gotten that far along the research tree? I'm still in the Dwarves stage myself xD So I don't know if that was deliberate or if I should report it as an error... or just keep it for later maybe?

DeletedUser1829

People have confirmed that moving in and out of fellowships that the points drop from your fellowship and if you go to a new one add to it. While there will be cases this is unfair it would be the simplest to program

Here is a list by server of those people who achieved 17,600+ tournament points. Note 25 of these are needed to be in the same fellowship to obtain the final reward.
ServerPlanksScrolls
Beta?11
EN1412
EN2611
US1511
US2510
US336
US4310
US526
TOTAL2877