• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Behind the Scenes: Battle Redesign

DeletedUser1829

AFAIK, the battles with orcs are the ones you are officially meant to be seeing only once hitting the woodelves, so 267 would not be considered modest by Inno. As I understand it, someone at the end of the tech tree should have a max of 220, so if you have more (which most of us do), you are "too far ahead".

Assuming 30 chests for wood elve yes 220 provinces would be the chests for the end of Wood elves. A skilled fighter could be seen up to 10-20 provinces further ahead, according to Inno. Therefore between 220-240 at the end of Wood Elves.

Do anyone win a battle after redisgn of battle techniques and army size except using resources?

Yes people are winning. Anyone past the "Inno line" can't win on the world map, which is many on the forum. Tournaments, at least early levels, should be winnable. If you can't win because of fight difficulty information on the fights will help Inno tweak the difficulty, they have started doing this based on player feedback but not many are providing that feedback.

Auto-fight has also been known to work in world map and tournament provinces up to and including the second last tournament level.

DeletedUser2685

Other than the tournaments, I have not won a single battle for a province. And they have not been close. Previously I could easily defeat an army twice my size troopwise and could beat better than that with acceptable losses provided I used good strategy. Now I get slaughtered without ever having taken out even a single squad. And I have maxed my training through to the new Archers under the Orcs.

To give an example, I had a murder corridor set up for one province so that only two enemies could reach my troops with Barbarians up front, Knights in back with archer support. My archers barely left a flesh wound against a foe they have advantage under the new system. Their troops took out my barbarians in three total attacks and my knights in three more before I bugged out to at least save my archers. I had taken out a TOTAL of 1/2 of a squad. That was on a 2 to 1 troop scale. The vast majority of the provinces I have at this stage are 3 to 1 or more.

I have determined that it is impossible for me to win any province battles. It is very discouraging and even though I have been playing this game since it was in beta, I am seriously thinking about giving up. I have heard from a LOT of people that are considering the same thing.

As a side note, one should NEVER have to rely on auto-play to win battles or why even battle at all . . .

Yes people are winning. Anyone past the "Inno line" can't win on the world map, which is many on the forum. Tournaments, at least early levels, should be winnable. If you can't win because of fight difficulty information on the fights will help Inno tweak the difficulty, they have started doing this based on player feedback but not many are providing that feedback.

Auto-fight has also been known to work in world map and tournament provinces up to and including the second last tournament level.[/QUOTE]

DeletedUser363

As a side note, one should NEVER have to rely on auto-play to win battles or why even battle at all . . .
To save having to spend thousands of goods you have other uses for to clear your provinces. Also, sometimes you want (or used to) to clear a few provinces and don't have the time to battle normally...especially when the troops appear to be on a go slow, on those occasions autoplay comes in as handy feature...in the days we could win lol

DeletedUser

Auto-fight has also been known to work in world map and tournament provinces up to and including the second last tournament level.

The losses are too high for me to want to risk any further experimentation in order to help Inno, especially since 99% of the time, they don't listen. I'm not online 24-7 to keep training troops, don't have space for more armouries and don't have enough tools anyway, even without training troops (and that's although I have too much space in Inno's opinion, i.e. too many workshops). I won't have the space for the new military buildings either, which will make it impossible for me to provide useful feedback as of tomorrow. I have built merc camp on Winyandor, but will most likely be forced to remove it once I have to build rally points. My guess is, a lot of other people are in the same position and have just resigned themselves to ignoring the entire battle system until the distant hypothetical future when they are both at the point Inno wants them to be and have the space, but unless Inno throws another massive hurdle in the way of negotiation, I will just stick with that anyway now. Also, filing bug reports and providing feedback is a thankless task that the vast majority of players don't have the time or the patience for.

DeletedUser1353

One thing I dislike other than all stages of units looking the same (lvl 1 thief has the same appearance as lvl 3 thief) is the generic distribution of troops in every province.

For example: I have 3 sqouted provinces that I haven't started completing, and in every single fight there is an archer squad.

I miss those fights where it could be just 2 archers or 2 knights and thats all, was like a breath of fresh air to me to just being able to kite around 2 treants or something in 1 fight every other province.
Not saying all fights should be like this, but less fights could be perfectly mixed.

In tournaments I autofight about 90% of encounters, 5% bribe 5% manual fighting. If I were fighting all those fight manually it would take me hours upon hours to finish all fights, and I can't afford bribing them all, last tournament I came across fights that costed over 25k crystal alone to bribe.

In provinces however I dont recommend autofighting, since the squads are so much bigger there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1668

Where did all my Cerberus go. They are shown at the barracks but i cannot use them in a battle

Deleted User - 106219

The units from the Training Grounds are in their own tab on the Army select screen. The units from the Mercenary Camp are also in their own tab, so if you have all three buildings you will have three tabs on the army select screen.

DeletedUser

I'm coming to the point of hating this game, up to now I've been a staunch supporter, I've overlooked the smaller niggles, pushed on as much as I could, but because Inno changed the goalposts and tell me that I have done too much scouting I no longer have the avenue of clearing provinces for kp so I have turned my focus back to the tournaments, it wasn't like I was high up the ranks for tournaments week after week, but I was hoping to get to round 6 of at least the first 2 provinces. Is that too much to ask? Yes, it is because those fights are unwinnable, I've used the correct units and I've tried over and over again and I can't win, I can't afford to negotiate every single encounter either because "I've scouted too far" and so the costs become astronomical, and I'm only trying to do round 4... forget getting to round 6!

I've built hundreds of troops to be slaughtered, I'm trying to play the game the devs have envisaged it, changing what I'm doing as they change the focus, and for what? Where is this fun you promised us with fighting? Where is the balance? You give us auto fight as an option but it clearly doesn't work, you give us fights that are unwinnable, you change your mind as the whim takes you... you promise us moving on the map to a better location but you move the active people around us and leave us in a worse position than before the moves.

At what point did the focus of the game change from City Building to Fighting? I don't play pvp games because I HATE pvp, I HATE fighting and avoid it at all costs.

DeletedUser1291

Is there a chart that shows, which troop is stronger than another troop in battle? So that we know which one to send to battle

DeletedUser363

Is there a chart that shows, which troop is stronger than another troop in battle? So that we know which one to send to battle

If you go to the start of this thread you can click on a Battle Redesign link that has a picture showing the strengths of troops against each other

DeletedUser1829

Check out the combat guide in the guide section of the forum or click the link in my signature to find a more updated version. It includes the combat pentagon and other charts to help.

Deleted User - 13667

AFAIK, the battles with orcs are the ones you are officially meant to be seeing only once hitting the woodelves, so 267 would not be considered modest by Inno. As I understand it, someone at the end of the tech tree should have a max of 220, so if you have more (which most of us do), you are "too far ahead".

I would not agree on their claimed amount. Most players ahead of me have 300 easily and they are not at the end of the tech tree. Yet another fail by the programmers.

Even at 267, I hardly have enough land to build. I have 2 more AW, 1 training ground ready to build if there is space...:rolleyes: 267 provinces x8 battles per province, I negotiated about 1 or 2 battles at very early stage in total. Nothing more. That makes me pretty good if not among the best of the battle experienced players here.

About the combat guide? It is rubbish. going against more than 2.5 times is impossible to win given the current system whereas the older system offers a better probability.
Now, it is almost 1 shot 1 kill by the cannoneers. The battle system never really worked well with the players here ever.

DeletedUser2571

The battle system itself isnt bad. I think its actually better than it used to be.
No overpowered combo's, all troops have their use. Easier to learn, and to predict the outcome for new players.

Its the numbers in the provinces that are killing.

With smart playing you might take an opponent that is 30-50% stronger. With the right units you might get a bonus of 30-50%. So at best you can hope to beat an opponent that has twice as many troops, if you are willing to take 80-90% losses yourself.
Even if you are very lucky, getting an opponent of only 1 or 2 trooptypes, few ranged units, closed terrain, then and imho only then can you take on anything above 1:2. What are the odds of that? In my experience nearly 0.

DeletedUser1279

I don't even try to battle anymore. We are losing folks in the fellowship as disappointment and frustration with the game evolves faster than the game itself. No space to expand, ages to wait to gain enough goods to move on the tech tree, no hope in battles. I'm not usually a pessimist, but I too am losing interest. It just isn't fun anymore.

Deleted User - 13667

Seriously the battle pentagon is not useful at all. Units that can take a hit cant deliver damage. Units with some advantages are too fragile.

Oh yes there is the AW that boosts the light units but it is USELESS