• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Battle give us the first move

DeletedUser

[Summary]: In battles, the players should always have the first move, or should have the option to surrender immediately after the start of fight before the computer attacks (aka the surrender button should be active at all times).*
*Edited by Zanyah on request of the OP - added the underlined part to the original text.

[Have you checked for similar ideas?]: Yes.

[Details]: No matter the level you city is, the army is not build up easily. So, as the battles become more difficult, the player must have care, not only what troupes sends in battle, but also their place. If you fight with your last discovered troupes (treants, golems, witches) and the game has a mixture of troupes, you can loose a troupe even before you start to fight. The surrender button is useful if you can press it, but I noticed that the button becomes inactive while the game attacks, so you have to take the hit, than wonder if it's worth to continue the fight.

[Reasons for Implementing]: A wrong troupe in wrong place can mean much more damage and possibly defeat, ergo more frustrations, not to mention less battles, this being translated as boring square 2.

[Balance]: None.

[Visual Aids]: N/A.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1539

[Summary]: In battles, the players should always have the first move.

[Have you checked for similar ideas?]: Yes.

[Details]: No matter the level you city is, the army is not build up easily. So, as the battles become more difficult, the player must have care, not only what troupes sends in battle, but also their place. If you fight with your last discovered troupes (treants, golems, witches) and the game has a mixture of troupes, you can loose a troupe even before you start to fight. The surrender button is useful if you can press it, but I noticed that the button becomes inactive while the game attacks, so you have to take the hit, than wonder if it's worth to continue the fight.

Yes, I have noticed this too. I have come to a conclusion that the moment you start the fight with encounters "There's no turning back!". It's really getting hard as negotiation requirements getting high :(. Well I still have a long journey for me though and hoping that they will change fight condition where we can surrender during the battle :D.

Deleted User - 13667

I think what you are looking for would be to allow players to place troops AFTER the battle map has loaded. That is assuming that you have no intention of deploying your sword dancers. They should have the fastest move.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
Why not ask to win all battles without loss just by pressing a [win] button ? Choosing the right squads, the right place for them AND the surprise of the battle field layout are parts of the fight which would be uninterresting without that... You always are able to negotiate if you don't want to think a little or if you loose some troops because sometime the ennemy has the advantage. If you play chess with a total beginner and you're a medium one of course you'll win all your games but trust me, after a while you'll find it's the most annoying way to spend time. No pain no gain.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

s5carrot: It will take to much to implement that... not that I actually thought about it.
tonton-des-bois: This is NOT a game of chess. I just don't want to loose troupes when I can prevented it. If one wants a surprise than leave that button. Let the player decide if he's bored and wants a surprise, or if he has a lot of time to do the battles. Every little bit counts. Whoever say other way is naive.

A decision was taken to deactivate the button, than give us the first move. OR activate the button again.

Deleted User - 106219

Or you can just do what the rest of us do: Start the battle with a single group of Sword Dancers/Axe Barbarians (they have the highest Initiative and thus always go first) and see both the terrain and the positions of the enemy troops (this also lets you see how far they can go). Then surrender and start again, this time with the troops you want to use.

DeletedUser1295

Or you can just do what the rest of us do: Start the battle with a single group of Sword Dancers/Axe Barbarians (they have the highest Initiative and thus always go first) and see both the terrain and the positions of the enemy troops (this also lets you see how far they can go). Then surrender and start again, this time with the troops you want to use.
A lot of information on battles/troops can be found here (including a link to the 'Encounters Guide' on the Beta-forum with even more information) I hope many will start sharing their insights on battles/troops on this forum as well in the Player Guides and Strategies section!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Did I let for a second the impression that I loose all my battles, or I trade all encounters? The answer is: I fight all my battles AND win even if I am left with a single man. I don't think I lost 2 fights per total. We are not here to make the developers job easier, we are here to say what will make our game experience better. Or should we stay silent and obey? Remember this is a suggestion forum, and it is not suggestions for me.

Maybe I should have just asked for that button to be active again! It'll have made my live a little simpler.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
I'm sorry but the 'surrender' button is active for me... it's just that your ennemies with more initiative have to do their move before you can do your first one (that includes surrending) so my remark still stay : you just wants everybody to play like you wants to play, decreasing the exciting side of the surprize and shadowblack tip is the response to your problem... and if you play the human side, barbarians have a good initiative too and they don't need years or monster amount of supplies to train...

Last edited:

DeletedUser

What's so hard to understand? The button is not active when the computer troupes attack. If they attack first than that button is still inactive. This is the way it works.
For example, I want to surrender when is a large block in front of my troupes with only 1 square exit and I have 2-3 close range troupes, and the computer puts archers and golemns in their army. Is so hard to understand that in some few scenarios is just loosing troupes for nothing ? Is not rocket science.

A moderator, please allow me to rectify my original post. Or please you modify my original post, from this:
to this:
[Summary]: In battles, the players should always have the first move, or should have the option to surrender immediately after the start of fight before the computer attacks (aka the surrender button should be active at all times).

DeletedUser1295

A moderator, please allow me to rectify my original post. Or please you modify my original post, from this:
to this:
[Summary]: In battles, the players should always have the first move, or should have the option to surrender immediately after the start of fight before the computer attacks (aka the surrender button should be active at all times).

Edited your summary accordingly!

DeletedUser

Thanks Zanyah.
Tonton-des-bois: If I wanted help I would NOT put a thread in the suggestion forum.
And yes, it is the initiative thing I'm fighting with. Hence the surrender button active from the very start of the battle which at the moment is active only on the player turn.
They should have just fix the messages and notification errors and leave that button how it was.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
I'm perhaps blind or stupid because of my old age but, for me, the surrending has always been linked to player turn so I don't understand what danuta means by 'letting it how it was'... If I'm wrong, I sincerely apologize and I prey you to forgive my mistake :( I didn't meaned to annoy you

DeletedUser1295

Just a kind note from me on the side:
Let's keep in mind that English is not everyone's native language on this international forum... sometimes resulting in slight misunderstandings ;)

DeletedUser

Katwijk: both.
Tonton-des-bois: Many times I saved some of my army by capitulating and repositioning my army, for the reason described. If this is not a new feature, then it was an error in the server or a late update. I am sorry too. In your old age, you are more mature than I am. I am glad and sad in the same time.

DeletedUser219

It may be an Elf-Human difference, but I always get the first move with my melee units, then all of the enemy units move, then my spell-casters finally realise that their activity is required. The rare occasion that I use crossbowmen, they move in the middle of the enemy units. Therefore I ALWAYS have an option to move before ANY enemy can inflict damage. If you ONLY use priests/sorceresses this could be a problem, otherwise I don't see the issue.

DeletedUser

What is a melee unit ? I use triants, golemns and sorceress only, no archers and no dancers. They are obsolete. And indeed the sorceress are the last one to move. Triants and golemns take turns: like one of mine, one of their's.

Edit: Zanyah is right. My first language is not English. I use the auto-correct option at every two words.