• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Question Vanishing Neighbours

LeafSpike

Seeker
3 Months or more ago my neighbours started changing to coin icon, i understand its an automatic process ,latest count for myself and Bermieh my neighbour is 149 !!! yes 149 empty cities ,you moved my Mage Gwithian who was 2 cities away over a month ago unannounced despite the fact we deliberately recruited players who were close by ,no warning just there one day gone the next ,who cares i here you say ,i have been here since the start pretty much, now fed up of collecting 149 lots of coins and seeing quests ,visit neighbours ,gain coins etc etc etc , i am being discriminated against and before someone says yes but look at all them coins the amount i need has gone up pro rata cos of my level ,Yes i buy gems when i feel like it ,try to maintain a full Fellowship of 25 hopefully happy older daily and active players ,trade fairly and don't complain on here despite my feelings over all these competitions ,i personally think you are getting greedy and in your efforts to gain new younger players are losing your core players ,or maybe you think 149 empty cities is acceptable , i used to play Settlers until they the developers ruined it ,the game became prone to crashes ,constant patches and endless updates ,now the players only participate when a major event is on and it swamps the game ,aside from those few players who carry on regardless ,New players are rare and don't stay on that game for long , there are many ways/devices by which to play Elvenar ,countless time zones and i am first to concede few updates and they are quick so its not all doom and gloom ,i thought if i aired a few things it might encourage response both good and bad , i am 70 a daily gamer ,as are my friends on here all of similar ages , we help each other ,please when you keep upgrading just consider we accept change ,maybe don't like it and for any Archmages reading this, a good policy is freedom to choose to participate in competitions or not builds a Fellowship ,rules on playing time ,growth etc makes my job recruiting easy . Thanks for listening Pete (LeafSpike) Archmage ," The Silver Horde"

m4rt1n

Adept
I am sure you will be moved soon, having fellows on different parts of the map opens those slots for neighbours who you can also give reciprocal help to and trade with for normal goods, helping progress for you and your fellowship.

I sat in a place a few months ago and watched cities turn into gold mines as players were moved, then suddenly I got moved to a much better place with more active neighbours.

Welcome to the forum @LeafSpike here you will find help and also friends who will help you with any more questions.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
having fellows on different parts of the map opens those slots for neighbours who you can also give reciprocal help to and trade with for normal goods, helping progress for you and your fellowship.
This is very valuable indeed. I'd rather not have my fellows on my discovered map, because it means I can get help from fellows and neighbours. If all my fellows were neighbours as well, that would mean 24 less clicks from (potential) neighbours :)

rowena656

Adventurer
I know just how you feel, i put in a ticket about it, and yes i was told it is an automated thing every Monday. Not long after putting in ticket i was moved from a space where i had 108 empy cities, my new slot still had 50 empty cities, this has now grown to 143, the edge of the chasm is only 3 cities away. Just waiting to be moved AGAIN. very frustrating though.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
Not being able to trade outside your fellowship is probably the biggest drawback. Can be a real pain.

I have had a city, who had lots of neighbours, lost all the nieghbours and eventually got other neighbours without being moved myself. Another city is now in an ever increasing mining field. Will have to see what is going to happen in that case. Not even bothering making friends with neighbours anymore. Kind of sad as I liked doing that once upon a time.

Hekata

Artisan
I've had the same problem @LeafSpike , I had to wait almost a full year for each of my cities to be moved despite the fact that they were surrounded by gold mines. I wrote to support a couple of times and got the same answer: "it's automatic, but when you get moved it will be to a much better neighbourhood".
And in fact when I finally got moved it was to a better spot or so it seemed... After a few months gold mines started to appear again and I'm up to 49 with one of them, 32 with the other. One would think that a player who's been playing this game for as long as I have (over 6 years) would have eventually migrated closer to the centre of the map by now, but nope, it's all random luck and I seem to eternally be destined to be on the outskirts...

m4rt1n

Adept
I got moved recently to a full city from a half empty place with over 300 gold mines, it took 3 years for my second move since starting to play over 6 years ago, now I get 1 or 2 that last a day or 2 and get filled mostly with a brand new main hall and maybe a couple of buildings.

Hekata

Artisan
Glad to know that the system is still working.
I'm not particular upset about my current situation (for now). Last time I had about 130 before I got moved. But you must have a much bigger NH than I, if I had 300 coin pits I'd have no neighbours at all :)

LeafSpike

Seeker
Many thanks to all those who have commented ,for me this is the second time also that i have raised the issue of disappearing neighbours ,since writing the piece i have noted total missing now up to 153 with quite a few commenting they have left ,finished or gone on their cities name board , whilst gold coins are impressive the game has increased up the requirements accordingly ,so no doubt when i get moved i will be further impacted by high coin resource requirements and little income ,indeed the current competitions frequently ask for coins ,visit neighbours ,or complete province or complete scouting new region ,needless to say not worth the effort for the wonderful prizes available on completion . i am giving it until Xmas and then if still the situation will be reluctantly moving to another game that treats long serving and faithful tolerant players better , listens to honest comments ,replies and stops hiding behind " it will be fixed soon its automatic "etc etc etc , sprinkler systems in skyscrapers are automatic but little help if stuck above fire .

rowena656

Adventurer
I still have not been moved, empty cities now up to 152, all i can think is, either the algorithm used to move players is not working as planned, or there are too many players leaving. And unfortunatly i think it is the later, i have been watching how many fellowships in Winyandor are reaching Gold in "the Spire". Only 3 months ago it was 24 or 25 every week with loads of fellowships just short of getting there. Now as of the week ending 30/09/2023 it was only 18 that reached Gold.. As players should be progressing and Fellowships getting stronger that figure should be increasing not decreasing.

Hekata

Artisan
I think it's a bit of both. a lot of players are leaving but the algorithm is not really optimised to move existing cities ASP.

As far as I understand this is how it works:
It only moves existing cities on Monday, but during the rest of the week some cities are removed (when they have been inactive for a certain period of time and some other criteria are met) and new cities are created. Those new cites are usually placed in the best available spots (for instance the central spot on Beta world is currently occupied by a chapter 1 city). So, by the time the Monday "move" arrives, a lot of the spots that have been freed have also been filled with new cities and there is limited choice for moving old cities stuck in bad NH. Especially considering that you have to be placed in the exact same type of province layout that you had in your original NH.

I'm fairly certain that newly created cities, if they are initially located in bad neighbourhoods because there were no better spots, get moved a lot faster than old cities. A while back, me and a few of my teammates decided to create new cities on another world. On week 1 we were all in rather inactive NH, but the very next week we were all moved to great NH.

From Inno's point of view I suppose it makes sense to prioritise new cities hoping that it will increase player retention, but I think it's unfair to loyal old players. There should be some kind of balance between the two.

Last edited:

LeafSpike

Seeker
Many thanks for the replies and constructive comments ,i suspect you all have been playing like myself from the start and agree that we are as loyal players discriminated against ,the game is a very enjoyable pastime and i used to spend a lot of time conversing with friends in Fellowship and outside ,now i don't bother , i used to spend money in the belief that attaining a higher level was important again i don't bother as often if at all ,sadly i feel Inno are as you say only interested in adding new players and have no concern over losing its older players who probably spend most with them ,my Mage and friend was moved overnight a few weeks ago to a new location ,no warning and left hung out to dry ,no doubt that will be the end result for my city ,if i feel that the response , and relocation if and when it happens is disadvantageous then Inno will lose 3 more accounts though i doubt they will care .

rowena656

Adventurer
Thank you Hekata, that explains a lot.
luckily i am in 2 great Fellowships, had i not been i too would probably have left. I am hanging on hoping i get moved soon, with over a third of my provices being empty cities i am very low on Neighbours, collecting just coins gets a bit boring after a while.

m4rt1n

Adept
I waited 3 years to me moved then got moved again after another 3 years, but during that time I assume they improved the movement system.

Richard1956

Seeker
I know just how you feel, i put in a ticket about it, and yes i was told it is an automated thing every Monday. Not long after putting in ticket i was moved from a space where i had 108 empy cities, my new slot still had 50 empty cities, this has now grown to 143, the edge of the chasm is only 3 cities away. Just waiting to be moved AGAIN. very frustrating though.
I have asked several times to move as I have over 150 empty cities and was told they have no control over moving cities. It is very frustrating and I have also made my feelings known on the Facebook page.

Richard1956

Seeker
I am sure you will be moved soon, having fellows on different parts of the map opens those slots for neighbours who you can also give reciprocal help to and trade with for normal goods, helping progress for you and your fellowship.

I sat in a place a few months ago and watched cities turn into gold mines as players were moved, then suddenly I got moved to a much better place with more active neighbours.

Welcome to the forum @LeafSpike here you will find help and also friends who will help you with any more questions.
Sorry I do not accept this comment at all