• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Unusual Steel Tournament Enemy Troop Combos : Week of 5th - 9th July 2022

Laurelin

Sorcerer
During Steel Tourneys, I'd expect to see an Enemy Troop mixture of primarily Mage, with Heavy Melée / Heavy Ranged second, plus a FEW random counter-Units. This week, though, I've seen much more random Enemy combinations, notably in Rounds 1, 3, and 5, with significantly more Light Ranged and Light Melée Squads appearing. In addition, ~15% of Enemy combos (higher than normal) featured five different Enemy Troop types. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Here's a representative sample - with apologies for the non-systematic image order :

Steel_Tournament_05-09-2022_Unusual_Enemy_Troop_Combos_01a.jpg

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Just bumping this one (sorry, Mods!) - in the hope of picking up some data to support - or refute - a couple of theories of mine (see below).

For info - I'm not trying to get into a long discussion here, just seeking data, if anyone can kindly provide any. At present I'm just hoping to learn whether anyone other than me has seen unusual Enemy Troop combos lately (in either Tournament or Spire) - as already described above.

As I've said, the recent Steel Tourney has been the most consistently strange example, but I've also noticed some quite unusual Enemy combos in general over the past two or three weeks, in both Tourney and Spire, so I'm looking for evidence, if any, relating to the following theories:

1. Inno have changed Enemy combos for all of us - perhaps especially during the 'easier' Tourney and/or Spire weeks (Marble, Steel, and Planks);
2. Entering Ch.XII Elementals, as I did around three weeks ago, causes an overall change in the nature of Enemy Troop combos; or
3. I may be part of one of Inno's A/B Tests, whether a sub-element of the ongoing early-game changes, or an entirely separate test.

Any replies are very welcome, and I'd be just as interested in hearing from anyone who has NOT seen any changes, of course. All data is valuable!

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi @Laurelin, I am also very much interested in tournament troops. I've been keeping track of the enemy troops for a while. It is just a crude measure of the overall troops, not the individual combinations. I am in Orcs chapter, and I do only about 13 provinces.

So, here is the graph, if it is of any help. The vertical line is the average percent.

Steel_5th-9thJul2022.png

MinervaOz

Enchanter
I saw all of those combinations but nothing struck me as unusual. I also had my fair share of all mage line-ups. I'd expect ~50% of enemy troops to be mages and ~10% of each of the others; this is based on information collected by my FS when the tournament changes happened. If all other troop types are equally likely you'd expect to have all 5 turning up in one battle occasionally. I can't comment on whether 13% is unusual, and I didn't notice how many I had.

I did think there were more Spire encounters with difficult troop combinations this week, and several of my FS members said the same. I negotiated a few encounters on level 3, which is rare for me. (On the other hand negotiating seems to have been easier over the last few weeks, or maybe I've just made a lot of lucky guesses)

schadenfreude

Enchanter
I feel like the Steel tourney used to be easier than Marble before the first major tourney change (2nd being the reward distribution one). Now Marble is easier than Steel, and it is because of the combo mixes changing slightly to include more light melee. Marble tourney today feels like what used to be Steel tourney in old format. I have a city that is steel boosted and early on when I was hoarding relics for boost %, it used to be send in a whole lot of Light Range into battle and call it a day for Steel tourney. Can't do that anymore due to the presence of more Light Melee.

Giraffi

Enchanter
Oi, all I can say is, I get smarties. No definite pattern. No 2 cities getting the same kind of combinations. No two following days the same. Think I saw a lot of light range enemies and not so many mages, but have not paid a lot of attention to it.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Thanks for the replies - interesting reading! - and more would of course be much appreciated, too, as I'm still gathering as much data as I can.

No need for images this week, although the latest Planks Tourney was ALSO very strange for me. I'm Planks-boosted, and I've always found it quite a difficult Tournament - both before and after the 2020 Tourney changes. But THIS week it was laughably easy - the easiest Planks I can remember, in fact - to the extent that I was comfortably able to go up to 3* level in Province 30+, as I rarely attempt in any post-2020 Tourney.

Firstly, the Maps were easy (and, again, some were definitely new to me) - few obstacles, and no 'funnel-type' blocked Maps at all. This would normally be problematic where MistWalkers, Enemy Mages, and/or Hellhounds are present (especially if with difficult counter-Units), but when populated by the Enemy Squad types and combos I mostly saw, the open Maps were mainly in my favour, so this factor was very helpful.

Secondly, the Enemy Squad combos themselves were also very easy. Normally the presence of MistWalkers combined with other Enemy Unit types can make Planks rather a pain, but this week I saw very little Enemy variance, with around 80% of Enemy Squads being Light Ranged - and including far fewer MistWalkers than usual, too, even though they're usually prevalent in Planks weeks.

Light Melee and/or Heavy Ranged was the next most common Enemy Squad type (although there were few Squads of either in most combos) - so using 5 x Orc Strategists/Golems resulted in very easy and low-loss wins - to the extent that I was able to Auto-fight most Provinces, even up into the late 20s in Rounds 3-5 (another almost unheard-of difference, for me - I'm in Ch.XII Elementals, so still quite Barracks Troops-reliant).

Heavy Melee was the next most common counter-Unit, although very few indeed of those appeared. Perhaps somewhat tricky if they'd been Swamp Monsters or Knights, but most of those I saw were Orc Warriors, which can - especially in Manual Combat - readily be countered [in low numbers] with (again) Orc Strats or Golems. But Knights were almost absent, and where one or two Squads of Swamp Monsters did appear, mainly alongside LR, I was able to use some spare Dryads with a lot of success - even using Auto-fight - and this, too, isn't very common for me, because my Dryads are still only at 2* (thus no debuff), so Archers would usually be my choice. Quite a saving on Barracks Troops there.

Finally, I saw very few Mages - and where they did appear, it was often in combos with LR alone - and therefore an easy win for 5 x Cerberus. Like Dryads, not a Unit I often find of much use outside my now Very Easy World Map battles - so I have quite a few of those to spare, too.

I did once see 5 x MistWalkers, for [? IIRC] the first time ever... and it was FUN watching Orc Strats flattening ~30K of them within two rounds! :D

All in all - a very atypical Planks Tourney indeed, for me - it was just as easy, although with different Enemy combos, as I'd expect to see during a Steel Tourney (or Marble - although for me, that's always been less easy than Steel; perhaps because I much prefer to use LR where I can, so I'm accustomed to where and how to move them without much thought - and also because I play as Elf, so no Priests, with my still-2* Blossoms not yet being a good enough substitute - and also because Elf Archers are amongst the best of the Barracks Units, too).

A Planks Tourney is normally quite expensive for me in lost Troops, but this week I lost barely 20 Squads of LM and HR - very unusual! - and when compared with last week's Marble, which should have been cheaper and easier than Planks (but was exactly the opposite), it's becoming apparent to me that I may well have ended up in an Inno A/B test of some kind.

Of course, now I'm wondering : if I'm right - WHAT are Inno up to...? Hmmm :oops:

Many thanks again for the replies - very much appreciated - and I'm wondering now what the next 'triple-set' of Tourneys (T2 Goods) will bring!

schadenfreude

Enchanter
and also because I play as Elf, so no Priests, with my still-2* Blossoms not yet being a good enough substitute
I think they are comparable against HM, maybe even slightly more favorable to Blossom. She has a +90% attack bonus on HM even at 2*, which is almost double the punch. Priest has a major advantage against HR though, hands down.