• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Solo Fellowship

So, I saw a user in the us.forum named Shimmerfly who seems to be known among the regulars for his refusal to join a guild and yet plays quite successfully, at his own pace. I wondered if there are people here in the en.forum who go solo, access features like the Spire and FS Adventures via their personal closed solo guilds and don't mind that this independent way of playing is slower and less efficient than the common alliance playstyle.

I would be thrilled to read about the experiences long term soloists can share here.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
We have had some who had to leave for various RL reasons that went and parked their cities into fellowships by themselves. I have suggested they join a more casual fellowship, but they don't want to feel like they're not contributing and acting like dead weight, kinda like a personal honor/integrity thing, even if the casual fellowship doesn't care you're barely active. Another left for medical reasons and finds FAs very stressful bc she has Parkinsons. The need to be able to get a badge in on a map triggers her symptoms and there's no need to do anything recreationally that would ruin your quality of life. Now she enjoys playing at her own pace and putting all the pretty buildings she wants without care for efficiency, meeting minimums, and the likes. For her, that's a success. Given the game is so open ended, there's not really a one definition for all perspectives regarding what "successfully" means.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I played solo for months. It was quite peaceful and relaxing but it does make the game much harder. So I started accepting fellows into the FS, the recruiting was a challenge but it's doable. I handed it over and stopped playing when I hit the end of game as at that time there wasn't that much else to do. Now, I prefer just being a fellow in a FS that fits my playing style and my personality. It might take a while to find the right FS for you but it's worth it when you do.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
In what way did it make the game harder? Did it just make development slower? Or is there something that is hard to do at all, without spending money?

Less visits, harder to get trades done, less diamonds from the Spire, no blueprints from the tourney and no extra artifacts from Fellowship adventures so yes it made the development slower but it's doable without spending money. You don't have to spend any money in this game to still keep progressing and be competitive.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
In what way did it make the game harder? Did it just make development slower? Or is there something that is hard to do at all, without spending money?
RRs are hard to come by in a 10th chest FS so you forgo all those and blueprints. Also, lone wolves can only tap in 63 pts in Spire. You forgo all the diamonds. You give up extending your free trade network by up to 24 other people, which means you have to produce goods yourself, buy from wholesaler, or rely on neighbors. So it's kinda playing with one hand tied behind your back by choice.

Gargon667

Mentor
You could but the artifacts are usually in the second and third round.

I am pretty sure I could get all 3 chests done by myself, but if you are nuts enough to even try that you definitely belong into a competitive FS ;)

paulagor

Dreamer
I'm usually fine with playing solo since the majority of my leveling is done through quests and dungeons, but it does start to feel a little lonely sometimes. The guild I was in a few months ago fell apart while I was away, so I'll have to start looking for a new one, it just kind of helps to feel less isolated sometimes.

Last edited:

Skallywag

Spellcaster
I'm usually fine with playing solo since the majority of my leveling is done through quests and dungeons, but it does start to feel a little lonely sometimes. The guild I was in a few months ago fell apart while I was away, so I'll have to start looking for a new one, it just kind of helps to feel less isolated sometimes.
If you can finish the spire, and do well with the tournaments, say 3K a week, there will be many fellowships who would love to take you.