• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Sentient trading observation

Gargon667

Mentor
Other players who post at 1:1 or even slightly better. Mostly bismuth for soap or shrooms.
The manipulators do it very simply, here's an example:

They take all 2* or better offers of soap or shrooms but ignore all offers of bizmuth.

So any Soap or Shrooms boosted player has no problem because they grab any of the dozens of Bizmuth offers, or just post and either a normal player or a manipulator grabs it. EZ.
If you are boosted in Bizmuth though you have a much harder time because there are never any players asking for it and the competition offering it is fierce.

Some manipulators even go so far as to use their FS members to post dozens of 110-120% small bizmuth trades to create a fake market value so for your bizmuth offer to be at the top requires a 30% discount

I don´t know what world you play in, but it certainly doesn´t happen in EN3. Even the by far worst resource (gum) is readily taken if in 3 star trades (no such extravagance as 10% bonus), both cross tier and same tier trades. Who cares who takes such a trade? As long as it is taken it is a good thing. And it is taken that is the point. And if my trades are taken so are everybody else´s (unless you suggest my trades get taken with preference, because I am such a pretty blonde :D ) And if everybody els´s trades are taken, nobody has a problem.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I don´t know what world you play in, but it certainly doesn´t happen in EN3. Even the by far worst resource (gum) is readily taken if in 3 star trades (no such extravagance as 10% bonus), both cross tier and same tier trades. Who cares who takes such a trade? As long as it is taken it is a good thing. And it is taken that is the point. And if my trades are taken so are everybody else´s (unless you suggest my trades get taken with preference, because I am such a pretty blonde :D ) And if everybody els´s trades are taken, nobody has a problem.

Same point here,
As long as trades are picked up the influence of "traders" can be neglected.
If "is it offered on the market, if no then there is an issue" would be true, then the market hasn't functioned a single day in the past 5+ years.
People do not like to put trades on the market, thats the only issue.
I must say, that I hate it when I need to use the market to balance my goods for 1 simple reason.

It murks my notifications wich means I need to to a whole round of players again to keep them awake as I loose them in my notifications to give help back.

You see why there are so few offers on the market, even some recent QoL changes made that part even worse than before.
So lets stop blaming traders and whoever people feel obliged to blame for there inability to find goods so that they must put trades up themselves.

ps. putting many trades on the market is much easier and faster on the app than on the PC (another annoying thing)

Aisling1

Conjurer
I'm putting in my penny's worth in again.

Back in the dawn of history before sentient goods, it was pages of cross tier trading...(It still is) - because it is almost without exception BACK cross tier trading... It's the same old story. Some players care, some don't. Some work it out, others don't. Some refuse not to see that there are times when magic dust is not worth planks or marble.
As I was told, time and again, if you don't like the trades, don't take them.

I have found that posting like for like - will almost always get a very quick response. (Sentient or otherwise). In times of shortage (tournaments, etc) or in an area where a particular good is in short supply, offering a decent discount on a large quantity (what you consider large, not those dismal 1000 for 995 that make it 5 star) .... 10 to 15% - still better than producing, or wholesaler - 10k for 9k for eg, will always be taken and fast. Watching who takes the trades and communicating with them is a very good idea.. it can lead to post tournament swap fests between fellowships. At the worst, you won't get a response.

Trying to buy is more difficult. That's why the majority of deserted cities are either at a very low level or a critical stage for goods.. If your FS can't handle it - ignore them and go outside. Explain the wholesaler.. if things are that bad, it's actually an okay option.

But the bottom line is, if people buy 0 star from the trader, not by accident, those trades will continue to be posted. My advice is, take a step back, watch your timing both for post and buying, ignore those nasty trades and try and get as many players as you communicate with on board.
If those trades don't get taken, they will gradually stop. That means getting all in your FS and circle on board, and maybe going a little short, to help those who need, or to be more correct.. think they need.

It's human nature, newbies don't want to ask, don't want to seem dependant and if you have a whole pile of coins you don't want to swap it for that one piece of paper money. If you've loads of goods, having once been poor, you don't want to "give them away". It's nicer to buy than to sell.

That you're missing the point, and progressing the game for everyone in a way you don't get tangiable rewards for is harder to explain
Always discounting, always buying at a loss to supply yourself and then others, is initially disheartening, but you might find your AW filling up and your culture up to Solar power 1. One strong individual player can influence the trader somewhat, but a whole fellowship, never mind a coalition of Fellowships can change it. And 10 to 15%, even with decay, counterbalanced by other stuff.

Again, anyone, like me sitting on obscene amounts of goods that could change the life of a player in a lower level chapter should try and find a way of redistributing it. The more of us do that, the less of the other.. check those low posts, visit the player, judge and communicate if needs be..

And you know where to find me (Hi Leylana)

Aisling1

Conjurer
Just an observation, but being in both Arendyll and Winyandor, the sentient trading in Arendyll is appalling!. It is mainly 0-star and 1-star. Winyandor is much more "normal", so what is the problem in Arendyll? I understand the problems in that large quantities of sentient goods are needed for the tree task boxes and I realise sentient goods production can easily be restricted for various reasons, but the answer is not bad trading. Apart from the slowness of persuading enough others to accept your poor trades (daily decay is apparent in many of the trades offered) it is still very difficult to get sufficient of the goods required to avoid the effects of daily decay on your own stocks. Lots of time instants, manufacturing spells, a storm phoenix and a couple of hours every now and then is the way to do it - at least that's what works for me. I find sentient trade in Arendyll disappointing.
I'm going back to Aredyll just to check this out :))))

Aisling1

Conjurer
I went to Arendyll where my dead city has been ignored for over 4 months. Admittedly, I only have one of the 3 sentient goods... I found a trader with 58 pages, two 0 star trades, 1k demand 2k, and the rest, less than 5% off (trader discount, decay)... the rest of the 58 pages fair or better???
Is it Winyandor, where there are a lot more seriously ridiculous sentient 0 star trades.....

Aisling1

Conjurer
I had to go back, thought I might have missed something, made a mistake. I only have Tier I sentient, I found 58 pages of trades. I found two 0 in the first page, like I said, 2:1, the rest were two star, give or take 5% for decay etc until page 54 of 58 trades, where they degenerated into 20%... and four ridiculous.
Something smells a little like mackerel... And it looks way healthier than what I see in Winyandor..

Aisling1

Conjurer
Yeah, I'd probably know a construct better from my elbow than a server...... which is when it got to much for me to juggle. Went back to Felyndral, Dec this year, where I am okay in halflings, but wondering why my fighting, tournaments and spire are so costly... Winyandor has ridiculous sentient offers, and hardly ever 2 star or if you get there, "this offer was accepted by another player"... but when I post, no problem, even with that green stuff that's in over supply, and my bismuth does just fine. ?
Spire is fun, like the improvements in Magic Academy, and fighting seems both tournament and expansion, just a little easier, as does fairness in stars on cross tier trading? My imagination or... ? Anyhow, still think communication both within and without FS is key, and that newbs should find themselves in at least groups of 5/6 same level very close on map... or new players give up. (Try to get anyone on my trader to take 2 planks for 2 marble... they think it's a trap or a message)

SkyRider99

Immortal
While this has been suggested before, we are going to check again with our developers :D It is a great idea!

Thank you and good luck for a 'block this trader' button. @Pauly7 suggestion is OK too, but I sometimes want to see 0-star trades (by arrangement) within my FS. Whereas on Arendyll there are unscrupulous traders who are well known repeat offenders. Even if they sometimes post a fair trade (rarely), I don't want to see them.
Many people it seems want this option to block or remove certain traders from our lists, and to trade with the majority of fair players only.

Deleted User - 341074

I don´t know what world you play in, but it certainly doesn´t happen in EN3.
US2 and US4 for sure suffer from it, although I would never had noticed in the one where I'm not bizmuth boosted. The wife is there though and has the same problem:
A market parasite takes all non-bizmuth trades and reposts at brutal prices. So if you aren't biz boosted it's great but if you are you pay a 20%+ premium on every trade.
Who cares who takes such a trade? As long as it is taken it is a good thing. And it is taken that is the point. And if my trades are taken so are everybody else´s (unless you suggest my trades get taken with preference, because I am such a pretty blonde :D ) And if everybody els´s trades are taken, nobody has a problem.
If my trades got taken at all by anyone I wouldn't care either.
They aren't taken though, even at 20-25% discount for days. simple as that. You clearly don't play on a manipulated server with the unlucky boost and therefore can't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauly7

Magus
@Pauly7 suggestion is OK too, but I sometimes want to see 0-star trades (by arrangement) within my FS. Whereas on Arendyll there are unscrupulous traders who are well known repeat offenders. Even if they sometimes post a fair trade (rarely), I don't want to see them.
It's easy to get around though. Imagine there's 4 checkboxes as follows:

Fellowship
Sentient Goods
Filter out 0 star
Filter out 1 star

So you can leave the last two boxes checked and you don't see any 1 and 0 star trades... but then if you choose you can click the fellowship checkbox, but untick the other two, or any other combination you'd like.

SkyRider99

Immortal
Ingenious, but I still prefer to block particular traders. Even when they post a 2-star trade there are certain players who have blotted their copy book as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't take even a 3-star trade from traders who have proven themselves to be manipulative and devious.
But any game option along these lines that the developers can introduce would be of assistance.

Deleted User - 341074

It's easy to get around though. Imagine there's 4 checkboxes as follows:

Fellowship
Sentient Goods
Filter out 0 star
Filter out 1 star

So you can leave the last two boxes checked and you don't see any 1 and 0 star trades... but then if you choose you can click the fellowship checkbox, but untick the other two, or any other combination you'd like.
And a cross trade box please so I can help all of my neighbors without having to dodge landmines.
And, of course, the trader should remember my filters and default the way I like.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Pauly7 and @SoggyShorts : These changes would be so easy to make, yet would improve the in-game Trading experience beyond measure. +1 x 10!
@SkyRider99 : Agreed. Games are not 'morality-free zones', and "Because I can" is a dreadful motive. I also notice, and avoid, habitual unfair Traders.