• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

City Rearranging layout

• Thread starter DeletedUser2266
  • Start date

DeletedUser2266

I think it would helpful if we could rent extra land for a short period of time to assist when we need to move buildings (eg: because upgraded buildings have a bigger foot print than their predecessor or even if we just want the layout to look more aesthetically pleasing). We could rent a 5x5 square plot for a specific number of KPs or supplies for, say, 1 hour in order to 'park' a few buildings while the rearranging takes place. I guess there could be an option to chose the space and/or time for the rental period depending on our needs. Any thoughts?

KermitsDad

Alchemist
Perhaps an option to delete Main Hall for just the duration of re-arranging could solve the problem.
It goes into inventory and can be put back onto the map once re-arranging is finished.

Of course whilst the MH is in inventory all production stops but that would be the price you pay to "rent" a 6x6 space.

DeletedUser

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I like the challenge of moving buildings when I have very little space to manoeuvre, you can of course wait until you have an expansion and use that 5x5 as your temporary holding place to move buildings in and out of.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
And I agree with Creggy :)

Agreements of my friends are my agreements... :rolleyes:

DeletedUser3019

I don't know why it's still an issue - moving objects. The idea of getting a temporary space is an overkill. In many strategy games you are allowed to swap buildings by simply putting one on the top of another and then move it to a new place. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that's what you can do in Forge of Empires. No disrespect to programmers and developers of Elvenar but all they have to do is to ask their collegues in FoE for a programming code, after all it's the same company only a different branch.

That's my 2 cents.

DeletedUser2886

I don't know why people use the word difficulty when its just moving buildings around. if you have no space you have no space. the skill comes in maximizing the space and rotation, building swaps, temporary holdings are all features that make the game more fun and also allow your town to have its own character. so many of the high level cities are ugly and bland

DeletedUser3093

I would just like to be able to put things back in our inventory if we wish to keep something, but not necessarily have it out in our cities. That would also help rearranging our city layout.

Also, would be nice if we could rotate our items. All items whether they be residences, goods and supplies manufacturing places, all face one way. Kind of boring Can we please be able to rotate them so they face a different way?

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
I would just like to be able to put things back in our inventory if we wish to keep something, but not necessarily have it out in our cities. That would also help rearranging our city layout.

Also, would be nice if we could rotate our items. All items whether they be residences, goods and supplies manufacturing places, all face one way. Kind of boring Can we please be able to rotate them so they face a different way?
rotating isnt an option anymore im afraid, that meas they have to make skins for all the buildings that are allready in the game, so it doesnt look borky when you rotate them.

I think that is too much work for too little output.

Also i think they do it intentionally, all the changin rotation on upgrades from a new race. So we get the challenge of rearranging our citys again. IF they make building rotatable it would become too easy.

DeletedUser3047

I've got to the stage where I can't fit my buildings in properly and it looks a mess, would it really be too much to ask to have a 5 building storage, just so we can rearrange our cities? I don't get why this is such a contentious issue? people saying it makes the game too easy etc, personally I play because I like to develop and expand, but I do like it to look pretty, not this haphazard mess it currently is. I'm bored :-\

DeletedUser

I've got to the stage where I can't fit my buildings in properly and it looks a mess, would it really be too much to ask to have a 5 building storage, just so we can rearrange our cities? I don't get why this is such a contentious issue? people saying it makes the game too easy etc, personally I play because I like to develop and expand, but I do like it to look pretty, not this haphazard mess it currently is. I'm bored :-\
I just had a quick look at your cities and in both of them you could sell those little paths, the ones that don't cost anything to put down and then use the free spaces you've made to move the buildings round.

Not sure if you've seen it or not but there is a good tool you can use called Elven Architect (www.elvenarchitect.com) which you can use to help with your city layouts. It also gives information regarding battles and troop types although I don't use that very much myself.

DeletedUser2886

I've ben saying this from the first time I saw a building expansion and had no space and it's always been met with the lame excuse that it would make the game "too easy". It has nothing to do with difficulty. I also agree that it forces everyone to make their cities look the same and completely disregard "beauty". Most of the high ranked cities are ugly and bland and just rows and rows of cluttered mess with hardly any roads, that if you look at them for too long your eyes go funny.

Anyway the only way to get around re organizing your city at the moment is:

a) have 1 expansion size (preferably 2) of free space always on hand to be used as your "storage". Most people are using every last inch of space so this isnt practical for them. Once you get to a stage where its like 7 provinces for one expansion and they take 8 hours each and cost a truckload of good/supplies (and that's not even mid level numbers as some are like 2 days scouting)...you are stuck with your city and cant upgrade buildings...which forces you to buy an expansion with diamonds

b) delete all roads and bunch all buildings together on one side of your city so you can use the free space to move things around. The problem with this is if you have layed down culture roads you get absolutely nothing back it just puts you into - culture, which will stop you from building or upgrading certain things.

c) buy diamonds and purchase expansions

all of these are as bad as each other in my opinion. So yes I agree it's not too much to ask to have say just two expansions worth of storage space (because some buildings are larger than 5x5, but I don't think any building is larger than 10x10), and a rotation feature on the buidlings. Sadly Innogames feels this will stifle our fun but I disagree vehemently...its more fun to me figuring out how to maximize the space by moving things around and rotating things, not by selling things to make space, or forcing myself to always have 1-2 expansions worth of free space.

I have far more "fun" building in dragon quest builders than I do here. That's actually true building like minecraft. This game is more of a complete quests and manage resources every few hours type of game. Everyone does the same thing here I'm sure of it...they spot the solution to maximize their space...and then are blocked by some invisible wall that innogames created

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3124

I agree that we need some sort of storage - rented or otherwise - to shift things around.

It puts a LOT of new players off (hello, lost revenue), that they spend all this time and resource on a new expansion of area just to realise that they can't fit things how they need. Inno could very feasibly keep players (and therefore increase the chance of them buying diamonds) by allowing some sort of rearrangement aid.

DeletedUser3231

Please help I am new to this game and I seem to have problems moving my buildings around......in fact they won't move at all

DeletedUser3097

Hi @Sam17, welcome to the game.

24pl1yh.png

Click on the arrows then on the building you need to move. Hope this helps. :cool:

cwgiii

Shaman
Something to keep in mind. The buildings in this game do not rotate. Part of the challenge here is to optimize placement with fixed orientation. Keep in mind that building sizes (dimensions) change as they level up. Planning ahead can be key.

DeletedUser3124

Something to keep in mind. The buildings in this game do not rotate. Part of the challenge here is to optimize placement with fixed orientation. Keep in mind that building sizes (dimensions) change as they level up. Planning ahead can be key.

This. Oh, so much, this! Also, the dimensions are a little confusing to begin with. If something is 3x2, the first measurement is in the diagonal top left to bottom right. Took me ages to fathom that!

DeletedUser3231

Sorry about the delay in replying....Many thanks for all the tips will let you know if I encounter any more problems...

DeletedUser3240

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I like the challenge of moving buildings when I have very little space to manoeuvre, you can of course wait until you have an expansion and use that 5x5 as your temporary holding place to move buildings in and out of.
exactly how i felt - until i heard the reason why we can't