• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

User Interface Make is eaisier to know in cauldron what is old and new

Vinceret

Seeker
Can you please change in the cauldron how we see new spells. You current system is confusing. Is the left side new or is the old side new. A simple method would be like

Old. New
Keep. ( Button) Replace old
(Button)
It is very simple you know what the old spell is add you can see what the new spell is. Having an arrow from what might be the old or new spell to replace the old with the new spell leads to too much confusion.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
It shouldn't matter which spell is old or new, you should just choose the best one of the two when the choice is given :) And 'best one' is a personal choice of course, but if the percentage boost is the same, go for the one that lasts longer. If the length of the spell is the same but one has a higher % boost, go for that one. If both are different in each spell, choose your preference (higher % OR longer duration).

Sir Derf

Adept
You are missing the point, @C-Nymph. It's not a question of which is better, it's a question of which is the old one and which is the new one. The OP is of the opinion that the display and labeling is not clear.

A -> B

Does that represent that old A is being replaced by new B?
Does that represent that new A is replacing old B?

m4rt1n

Adept
Cauldron is like playing the lottery, doesn't matter what you pick or where you build up the best % Inno RNG will make sure that on average you gain very little indeed, hence after several months I now conclude it as a gimmick.

To answer the OP though, it does show the time and percentage of gain, often it is a weigh up between longer time or more boost, each time is an individual choice, sometimes the old is better, sometimes the new is better, only occurs on a duplicate spell.

You need to look in this situation at the percentages, what works for you, more time or less boost, there is no right or wrong answer and to me the interface is clear, the problem is that the cauldron is a big let down after all the Inno hype and adds very little to anything as again all works on base production.

Last edited:

Sir Derf

Adept
And again, @m4rt1n , I respectfully submit that you are not addressing the point of the OP. OP is not expressing a confusion of how to select between a% for x duration vs. b% for y duration; rather, the confusion is, after deciding that they prefer a% for x duration, is that the "keep the old spell" or the "replace with the new spell" option.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
While that is indeed the case @Sir Derf, what we are trying to tell OP here is that old vs new has no relevance. It's the numbers that matter, not which spell was first.

I'd then rather see the devs focus on matters that have more relevance and priority, like having the donate function remember which resource you had previously selected, and not have it jump back to marble each time you reopen the Cauldron, because an accidental click on the Donate button while it's set on marble gets very costly very quickly in my case :mad:
1693388839414.png

Sir Derf

Adept
And again, you miss the point. Or I think you do; you're sending a mixed message.

On the one hand you say "that is indeed the case" and bring up your alternative issue as something that has "more relevance and priority".
On the other hand, you say that OP's point "has no relevance."

'old' vs. 'new' has relevance, because 'old' and 'new' is the labelling on the buttons.

The two options are displayed in an ambiguous, unlabeled way.

Suppose Morbius was offering you the choice of two pills, a slightly-more-reddish purple and a slightly-more-bluer purple.
Suppose you were choosing between the manual or automatic transmission versions of a car, but you aren't allowed to see the gear selector.
The display of your two options could label the left "old" and the right "new", to match the button labeling.
The display could add color, blue background and yellow background, and could color the two buttons to match.

Monohr

Spellcaster
The only way right now is to try to remember the effects as you get them. Say you mix the cauldron with one particular bonus in mind, then it's easier. +20% for 10 hours. If you get another, +25% for 10 hours. There you go, now choose the new one.

Of course the easiest way for them would be just moving the two buttons left and right, "bonus 1" or "bonus 2"
It doesn't matter which one is new or old, you get to choose.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
And again, you miss the point. Or I think you do; you're sending a mixed message.

On the one hand you say "that is indeed the case" and bring up your alternative issue as something that has "more relevance and priority".
On the other hand, you say that OP's point "has no relevance."

'old' vs. 'new' has relevance, because 'old' and 'new' is the labelling on the buttons.

The two options are displayed in an ambiguous, unlabeled way.

With "that is indeed the case" I meant that OP's point was indeed not being addressed.

But really, I guess I don't see the problem then. Plucked this image from the wiki because my Cauldron didn't give me a choice option this time so I couldn't use a screenshot of my own:
1693399147298.png

I really don't see what's so confusing about this choice. You choose the left spell, or the right spell, whichever one you like best, you can only keep one of the two and you are offered an option. It always only gives you an option if it's about the same effect, in this case Magical Tax Increase. It even says that the left one is the old one, which you can choose to keep, or you can replace it with the new one on the right if you like that one better, by clicking apply new.

Please enlighten me how this is not 100% clear. What's so ambiguous/unlabeled about this?

m4rt1n

Adept
I just look at it to press on the spell you want to keep, I usually go with the highest bonus, rather than longest time, unless the longest time is long enough to collect an extra production.

Sir Derf

Adept
10.2% for 5:30 -> 11.4% for 5:34

Is the 10.2% for 5:30 the old or the new? Is the 11.4% for 5:34 the old or the new? How would you know?

Is the arrow indicating that an old 10.2% for 5:30 is being replaced by a new 11.4% for 5:34?
Is the arrow indicating that a new 10.2% for 5:30 is replacing an old 11.4% for 5:34?
How would you know?

There is a visual implication that the "Keep old" button on the left matches with the 10.2% for 5:30 on the left.
There is a visual implication that the "Apply new" button on the right matches with the 11.4% for 5:34 on the right.

I'll also grant that there's a traditional left-to-right old-to-new bias for timelines (which might not hold for right-to-left written languages) and math graphs.

But, there is no explicit indication to confirm that this visual congruence is real.

This is a small dialog window; it could easily be larger, provide more information, and remove the ambiguity.

The introductory paragraph could mention the new spell B, and then have the A -> B over the buttons.
The introductory paragraph could fully spell out [pun unintended, but appreciated] that we already have A, but have just produced B.
The A -> B could include the potion numbers, as in #2 A -> #4 B
The Arrow could be augmented or replaced with the word "replaced by".

Jake65

Sage
What's so ambiguous/unlabeled about this
I don't have any issue with the layout or (my) interpretation/understanding of how it works.
Looking at again within the context of this thread, I think removing the arrow would also remove any possible confusion.

Edit to add: the black arrow ;)

Jake65

Sage
The "keep old" "apply new" text is also unnecessary IMO.
It's a choice between two options, doesn't matter which one brewed first

Sir Derf

Adept
Yes, it is unnecessary.

But that's what's there.

In order to know what's going to happen when you press the "keep old" button, you have to know which of the two potion effects displayed is the "old" one, or which side of the arrow is the "keep" side, neither of which is unambiguously identified.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
In order to know what's going to happen when you press the "keep old" button, you have to know which of the two potion effects displayed is the "old" one, or which side of the arrow is the "keep" side, neither of which is unambiguously identified.
Maybe not unambiguously, but with a little logical thinking it's quite clear that the left button links to the left spell and the right button links to the right spell imo...