• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Closed | Archived Golden Abyss

DeletedUser3034

Version 1.22.11

Tooltip shows it as providing culture:

ScreenCap.jpg

Deleted User - 106219

No, it doesn't. The tooltip clearly says "Coins" at the top. Then it shows the regular production and the bonus you get from your Culture (just like regular residences).

DeletedUser3034

Blushing - That makes sense, my first AW, my (not first) mistake.
Thanks!

Not a bug.

DeletedUser1519

Golden Abyss is very good on high level. More additional population on square, than high-level residance.

DeletedUser3041

I still haven't built mine and I still have not been convinced that it is worth the space it takes up.

DeletedUser1519

mnu-mnu-mnu? Haven't time to see result at town of top players??? mnu-mnu-mnu)))

sunrae

Soothsayer
Actually Golden Abyss is one of the better AWs. If you going to have them the GA is the first one to build. Gives population and regular coins and each time its upgraded you get more pop. Second one to built, at the earlier levels, is the crystal lighthouse. This gives benefit when you give neighbourly help in the form of goods and when you receive NH in prolonged culture bonus. Some, like the Tome are a waste of space. One KP every 24 hours? The bonus for scouting complete waste of time now we are limited, imho. Further on again pros and cons for the various AWs but each's ones description covers its benefits ably. Look at how much space it takes, bearing in mind if you need to sell it you lose everything except original runes, to see if it will suit you. The GA is one of the smallest AWs , as you level up AW buildings do get bigger and bigger.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Actually Golden Abyss is one of the better AWs. If you going to have them the GA is the first one to build. Gives population and regular coins and each time its upgraded you get more pop. Second one to built, at the earlier levels, is the crystal lighthouse. This gives benefit when you give neighbourly help in the form of goods and when you receive NH in prolonged culture bonus. Some, like the Tome are a waste of space. One KP every 24 hours? The bonus for scouting complete waste of time now we are limited, imho. Further on again pros and cons for the various AWs but each's ones description covers its benefits ably. Look at how much space it takes, bearing in mind if you need to sell it you lose everything except original runes, to see if it will suit you. The GA is one of the smallest AWs , as you level up AW buildings do get bigger and bigger.

Crystal Lighthouse / Great Bell Spire?

Thats one of the lesser wonders, unless you never do any combat (so no tournaments with troops or world map)

No the second is either needles (because it's earlier in the tree)
and by far the best wonder in game is the Martial Monastary / The Sanctuary (same level as the lighthouse / bell spire)

the needles makes your troops quite a bit faster in production, this is very helpfull especially on early levels. AND it improves your archers.
And I can tell you that is one of the troops I use the most, if it aint my main troop, then it's my splash troop to get rid of all things nasty.

The Martial Monestary / Sanctuary is by far the best wonder in game because just at level 1 it already boosts your troops HP by 5%.
It also gives a good amount of culture.

These 2 early wonders can make your battle from hard go straight to super easy. every troop from the enemy that you kill extra can't hit you, (needles)
Every troop extra thats still standing can hit back. (monastary / sactuary)

And dont forget this is cumulative each round. so with each round in the battle the power of the wonder increases exponentially.

it simple the troops still alive kill more enemy troops, so they can hit less hard back killing less of your troops, so your troops hit even harder ect.

But if you are one of the peacefull kind, not interested in battling at all, then these 2 wonders are even less usefull then the endless excavation. and that one is truly useless lol.

Last edited:

cwgiii

Shaman
as you level up AW buildings do get bigger and bigger
Does the physical footprint change "get bigger" or do the benefits increase as the AWs level up? I have not yet seen a physical footprint size change yet (my Martial Monastery is at level 9)

sunrae

Soothsayer
Crystal Lighthouse / Great Bell Spire?

Thats one of the lesser wonders, unless you never do any combat (so no tournaments with troops or world map)

No the second is either needles (because it's earlier in the tree)
and by far the best wonder in game is the Martial Monastary / The Sanctuary (same level as the lighthouse / bell spire)

Of course it goes without saying that any wonder that helps troop health or produces more troops will aid your battles. But one of the early comments was whether the golden abyss was worth building and in my opinion, for building up your city I believe it is. We all need population and gold and for the small space required the golden abyss is very useful.

Its not a matter of city building versus battle gaming, for some people the one enhances the other but in actual fact with the new balancing that has taken place there are many players who prefer to negotiate rather than fight. There are many players who will only battle some of the tournaments and not provinces, and then there are those who battle everything. Each to his/her own, but as a good place to start with the Ancient Wonders the GA won't waste your time. After all you need gold and population to build and upgrade barracks and armouries. :)

sunrae

Soothsayer
Does the physical footprint change "get bigger" or do the benefits increase as the AWs level up?
Sorry not to be clear,:oops: my meaning was that out of the Ancient Wonders the GA is a small one at 3 x 3 whereas for instance the Needles is a 3 x 5 and further on the Mountain Hall is 3 x 8. Once built they do not increase in physical size but yes the benefits do go up. If you have not yet built any wonders and are considering it the GA doesn't take up too much space. I know I took a long time considering whether to build any at all as you can easily play the game without them, but I do see they are useful and the decision to build and to chose which one can be tricky at first.

cwgiii

Shaman
I agree, choosing based on play preferences can be tricky.

I am also interested in how the benefits increase as the AWs are leveled up. For instance, does the number of KPs increase from the Tome of Secrets at some level? Or does the single KP generate quicker? This could make some of the AWs more attractive given time and effort to upgrade them to such a point.

sunrae

Soothsayer
The benefits do increase with each AW upgrade. The Tome does generate KPs more quickly over upgrading several levels. I believe Mykan has written a good guide about the wonders, as he has about many different aspects of the game. :)(Thanks Mykan) I was perhaps a little harsh on the Tome in my earlier comment but I don't think I will build one as the tournaments take care of my extra KP needs and I think the space in my city can be better used.

The wiki is a good place to start for anyone thinking about beginning to build the Wonders and of course talking to fs members and neighbours.

Deleted User - 106219

The Tome gives 1 KP every 24 hours when it is level 1 to 5, 2 KP every 24 hours when it is level 6-10, 3 KP every 24 hours when it is level 11-15, and 4 KP every 24 hours when it is level 16-20. Considering the cost to get it to level 20 its just not worth it.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Of course it goes without saying that any wonder that helps troop health or produces more troops will aid your battles. But one of the early comments was whether the golden abyss was worth building and in my opinion, for building up your city I believe it is. We all need population and gold and for the small space required the golden abyss is very useful.

Its not a matter of city building versus battle gaming, for some people the one enhances the other but in actual fact with the new balancing that has taken place there are many players who prefer to negotiate rather than fight. There are many players who will only battle some of the tournaments and not provinces, and then there are those who battle everything. Each to his/her own, but as a good place to start with the Ancient Wonders the GA won't waste your time. After all you need gold and population to build and upgrade barracks and armouries. :)

It's for sure one of the best wonders in game, indeed because it's small it has good stats and it comes very early in the game.
To many times people are stuck and have no place to put there knowledge points. so the golden abyss is then an excellent place to start.

As for the book of secrets, it's an eye candy, I love it looks. but as for it statistics. these are against them.
the supplies per scout can be very quickly negated in this game,when you scout takes longer and longer, whats 500 hammers every day or 3 days? for example. whats left is the gain of knowledge points.

after 140 days you have aquired enough kp out of it to level it up to level 2.
In total it takes 3355 days to level itself level 20. thats about 9 years before you can truly reap it's rewards.

If you level it quickly you could probebly reducde that time to about 4-5 years but thats about it.

DeletedUser1353

The Martial Monestary / Sanctuary is by far the best wonder in game because just at level 1 it already boosts your troops HP by 5%.
It also gives a good amount of culture.

Last time I checked it was 1,2% at lvl 1, so basically it's like increasing a 1000 squadsize to 1012 except worse since there's no damage increase. And the culture gain might have been good when it was introduced, but now it's really sub-par considering it's a 5x5 building.

Not saying it's useless, it does help in tournaments, at least from lvl6 and up, but saying it's the best wonder in the game is an overstatement imho.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

One of my cities is non-fighting and so I have decided on just a few AW to maximise what I get out of my city.

I've already built - Great Abyss, Crystal Lighthouse and Watchtower Ruins and am intending to put in Mountain Halls, Prosperity Towers and Blooming Trader Guild and thats it - there's nothing else that I need and I can use the ones that won't be built to make runes for the ones I will have.

I think its all personal choice as to which AW people decide to have, and that choice is determined by what they want to get out of the game.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
One of my cities is non-fighting and so I have decided on just a few AW to maximise what I get out of my city.

I've already built - Great Abyss, Crystal Lighthouse and Watchtower Ruins and am intending to put in Mountain Halls, Prosperity Towers and Blooming Trader Guild and thats it - there's nothing else that I need and I can use the ones that won't be built to make runes for the ones I will have.

I think its all personal choice as to which AW people decide to have, and that choice is determined by what they want to get out of the game.

Good choices, I especially love the Prosperity Towers, it gives you a great numbers of supplies. not to mention it looks good :D

DeletedUser702

The Great Belt Spire is the only one in my city!
Tried a few others while playing Beta, but since
than I departed the Beta and come to the conclusion
that any AW are space wasters, take far to much
resources to build up and don't do what's promised!!
I hover around 50 up and down because of taken some
buildings out to make room for others due to our beloved
devs changing stuff what is known as "UPDATES".
Somebody should explain to my german friends what
"UPDATING" translates into german! Namely to create
something " NEU" ( german for NEW ).
How do I know all this you might ask?!
I was born not far away from Hamburg, lived there for
22 years, when a star told me to immigrate to Australia, a
country well away from all those EURO problems! Cheers
and happy Elvenaring!