• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Already Suggested [City] Structure Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser93

[Summary] - Allows you to rotate structures 90 degrees
[Details] - A command that would allow us to rotate a structure at 90 degree angles
[Reasons for implementing] - Because structures default in one direction only, I have noted that this can limit placement for several items, as an example level 4 residences (elven) which measure 2x3 will align only in a left to right (horizontal) direction, yet I have a few spots they could fit in an up and down (vertical) direction, but can't because we have no way to rotate the structure to place for a build.
[Impact on other game features] - Potentially any other building feature where the structure has an odd shape such as 1x3 or 2x3 and so on.

DeletedUser23

Already been suggested in the last week or so.

1) It would mean creating whole new resources. Every building will need to be drawn from every angle instead of just the one. Far too time consuming.

2) The problem you mention is the challenge in city planning. There's not much else that requires any thinking in the game really. As much as I'd have liked to rotate sometimes, it's part of the game and would remove half the challenge.

So you're aware; this has been suggested numerous times on the FoE forums too and always shot down by the community and moderators/devs alike for these reasons.

DeletedUser93

Already been suggested in the last week or so.

1) It would mean creating whole new resources. Every building will need to be drawn from every angle instead of just the one. Far too time consuming.

2) The problem you mention is the challenge in city planning. There's not much else that requires any thinking in the game really. As much as I'd have liked to rotate sometimes, it's part of the game and would remove half the challenge.

So you're aware; this has been suggested numerous times on the FoE forums too and always shot down by the community and moderators/devs alike for these reasons.

Actually I was not aware, as I am fairly new here, just over a week, and I noticed they tend to quickly remove stuff from here, so older stuff would not be see-able to know it had been suggested (Yes that's a zinger at the moderators and devs for doing that)

DeletedUser23

I've not seen anything removed from this forum; it's only been up a week or two.

DeletedUser93

Aye, and we need to keep suggesting it. We are the players and the ones who are offering our feedback and feelings, and the devs should be reading them and seriously considering it, not telling us albeit semi-politely, "We don't want to waste our time doing this, it's too much work for us." News flash, this is why we are forced to buy those diamonds at a certain point in the game if we wish to continue. We are paying to play the game, we are the ones who keep you employed, so if you refuse to listen to us and give those lame excuses, guess who in the end will be walking from the game and taking their credit cards that pay you with them, hmmm?

DeletedUser

Dude everyone is free to suggest new things,everyone is free to have an opinion,but some thinks are not need,this is the game strategy,why to rotate my buildings if they are how they are? This is the nice part for me to have a challenge with organize my city,and for all to know if u buy premium is not a big difference,I have 4 workers and now i stay cuz i dont have resurces to upgrade my buildings so...First play and after make complains.Nobody force u to buy premium.

DeletedUser

player mickelpickel (elf) has marble quarries in different rotations,i messaged asking how this is done

DeletedUser

in this shot it shows quarry in two different orientations

Attachments

• quarry.PNG
    quarry.PNG
    294.1 KB · Views: 136

DeletedUser23

But they're not. The top right ones are level 5 or below, the bottom left one is level 6. Look at the wiki I linked.

DeletedUser121

Rotation is a perfectly sensible suggestion, and an integral part of other games. One player's challenge is a dozen players' frustration. The devs might keep in mind the axiom: "more options, less frustration". Rotation would also help break up the monotony of the cities. The graphics in this game are excellent, but all the sameness gets old fast. And we're only talking about adding one more angle, which in many cases would only involve reversing the image.

DeletedUser23

Rotation is a perfectly sensible suggestion, and an integral part of other games. One player's challenge is a dozen players' frustration. The devs might keep in mind the axiom: "more options, less frustration". Rotation would also help break up the monotony of the cities. The graphics in this game are excellent, but all the sameness gets old fast. And we're only talking about adding one more angle, which in many cases would only involve reversing the image.

It wouldn't make sense to reverse the image. Even with the 2x2 (for eg) buildings like early residences, you wouldn't have the doorway mirrored exactly at the back and sides of the house. Even though rotation for those buildings is pointless, it'd still be an option therefore there'd need to be some graphic.

However you get the main problems with rectangle shapes which really do need side and back graphics created.

Right now we have 1 of 4 possible angles, so it'd mean a LOT more work.

DeletedUser98

he only meant 2 possible faces because you would only have to flip the graphics horizontally. quoting " And we're only talking about adding one more angle, which in many cases would only involve reversing the image.". so yeah, i agree. no new graphic resources are added. you just overcomplicated the suggestion. below's a photoshopped version of what he's trying to say.

fVbMkku.jpg

when you come to think of it, if this is one of the hardest challenges to the game, then they better step up because i think this is just a minor feature that they should implement . i just started playing Anno Online and aside from the fact that you can flip the buildings, there are multiple sprites for a single building so the village doesn't look monotonous even if there are maybe 5 residence buildings adjacent to each other. and there are a lot more you can do to the game than just making the "village layout" a challenge.

DeletedUser48

yeah i agree on this, i'd like to see rotation.. it's not a huge thing to implement.

DeletedUser

A straight reversal of the sprites wouldn't work, the shadows would be wrong as can be seen in the photoshopped image above.

Other than that, it would just make it mindlessly easy. The challenge of planning odd shapes in is good.

DeletedUser98

thanks for making me realize that Barti. i would say that they only need to remove the directional shadows and just make some areas darker, but that would mean they'll need to rework the graphics if they'll going to implement this.

DeletedUser57

I would have to agree with Sheepski on this one.

Although I agree on the fact rotation would make city planning a lot easier, I believe that's the exact reason why it hasn't been implemented yet.

As far as I've seen there's one thing that makes this game actually challenging: city planning. If this feature were to be implemented city planning would get a whole lot easier, and from what I can tell that's not something you really want. As Sheepski said, city planning is one of the few things that actually requires thinking. Taking this feature out would make the game even more basic and simpler than it already is.

Not to forget, I believe this is one of the few features that actually makes this game stand out compared to the competition.

DeletedUser135

Yes, rotation would be a nice feature to have. It would make setting up and changing your city an easier task. But I understand why it is not a feature, it forces you to be more creative in what you can add and where you can put building.

DeletedUser1316

Hi guys -

Please remember that structure and city rotations were ruled out in the July Live Q&A which can be found by clicking on the link. There are also several other ideas regarding the rotation of cities/buildings, one of them can be found here. If you'd like to search additional threads, please check out the archives section.

I will be moving this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.