• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Already Suggested [City] Rotate City

Would be nice if you could rotate city..Thus looking at it from different angle.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser358

Would it be nice? Sure.
Will it EVER happen? Nope.
The devs would have to re-render each and every single building/decoration to make this happen.
The ends just do not justify the means, and lets be honest, they need to make a lot more content for this game before (and if) moving on to aesthetics.

DeletedUser3

Would it be nice? Sure.
Will it EVER happen? Nope.
The devs would have to re-render each and every single building/decoration to make this happen.

Hi Zeron, NecroDee is correct. This option has indeed already been ruled out by our Game Designers, for the reason given, as can be seen in the transcript of the live Q&A session in July.

Note: Although the Q&A was referring specifically to rotating buildings, the same naturally applies to rotating your entire city, as this would involve seeing the 'back' of many of your buildings.

DeletedUser

What about a no frills top down 2D view so that you can see all your path tiles (and other small things sometimes obscured by big buildings) when planning and reorganising your city? Or even when just collecting supplies and goods. That shouldn't be too hard to program (he said, not being a programmer

DeletedUser814

Hello VeryWicked,

As what you are suggesting would make the placing of buildings less challenging and because city planning is a core mechanic of Elvenar, this would not be forwarded to the Game Designers for consideration. It was stated during the live Q&A session in July that making this "city puzzling" less challenging was the reason for not allowing the ability to rotate buildings and because a 2D view looking down on your city would make placing buildings less challenging, it won't be considered.

DeletedUser219

I would support the idea of a top-down view, as it doesn't violate the prohibition against the rotation of buildings, and would assist in identifying those odd squares where you could put a small cultural structure.

DeletedUser814

Hello s5carrot,

As what you have suggested is very similar to VeryWicked's idea to allow a 2D view looking down on your city to enable you to do some city planning,
this also won't be considered by our Game Designers. This is because making it easier to place buildings was the reason for not allowing the ability to rotate buildings and as having a 2D city planning tool included within the game itself would make placing buildings easier, it won't be considered.

DeletedUser277

as having a 2D city planning tool included within the game itself would make placing buildings easier, it won't be considered.

...Which of course leaves ample scope for the Elvenar community to develop such a tool outside of the game ;)

DeletedUser814

Hello Prendyo,

This is certainly a tool that could be created and used by the various Elvenar communities as an external resource. ;)

DeletedUser

I don't think paths hiding behind buildings that prove very difficult to move or delete can be considered as challenging city design, especially as one can end up selling the wrong thing. It is what it seems to be: annoying.

Deleted User - 13667

Hello s5carrot,

As what you have suggested is very similar to VeryWicked's idea to allow a 2D view looking down on your city to enable you to do some city planning,
this also won't be considered by our Game Designers. This is because making it easier to place buildings was the reason for not allowing the ability to rotate buildings and as having a 2D city planning tool included within the game itself would make placing buildings easier, it won't be considered.

It is not challenging to try to move paths or buildings behind another building due to the sight of the building blocked by another here. It is fault on the developer not to consider things carefully. Sloth is spot on on this part.

DeletedUser814

It is not challenging to try to move paths or buildings behind another building due to the sight of the building blocked by another here. It is fault on the developer not to consider things carefully. Sloth is spot on on this part.
Whilst you may not consider moving paths or buildings with an obstructed view from another building challenging, the 2D city planning tool would make this process easier as it would show you exactly where everything is in your city, thus reducing the time spent on city planning.

Deleted User - 13667

@ Madena,

The main purpose remains: to plan and maximise the limited space allocated. Often you get errors when moving lots of buildings you have to either reload move in and out of your own province/city.

I would not consider these bugs , errors to be challenging. Because they are not meant to be there in the 1st place.

Anyway I think this would be a good share for all:
https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/city-planning-tool.1669/#post-9514

Someone actually making the effort the allow better planning

DeletedUser

the 2D city planning tool would make this process easier as it would show you exactly where everything is in your city, thus reducing the time spent on city planning.
Wait a minute. Are you implying that the dev's wish for us to waste time during the planning of our city by getting annoyed with paths we can't properly see in the first place? Now that I find hard to believe... (and calling that part of the challenge is a bit far fetched.)

A 2D view of the city map would make planning a city much more interesting and certainly increase the time spent on city planning because a player can actually see what they are doing without getting needlessly annoyed or frustrated. As for the planning itself: For quite some time I have stopped planning my city in-game and use an external program with a spread sheet instead. My choice to make use of 3rd party resources for city planning is not a good development for a game where city planning is a key focus of the game itself. In other words: there is a problem here that needs to be addressed.

Supporting the creation of external tools, such as the city planner linked above, is nice of you, however is just further proof that more of the community is seeking this type of feature and willing to go out of their way to create/use it (which is a good indication of how useful/important such a feature is). I'll say it again: Creating an in-game feature that improves on city planning by allowing a player to easily define where buildings are and could be placed makes the experience more enjoyable - leading to more time spent in-game.

DeletedUser814

Hello Valerius,

I haven't implied that the developers want players to waste their time getting annoyed with paths when doing city planning. I am merely pointing out that a 2D city planning tool would reduce the city puzzling that currently exists and it would also remove the trial and error aspect to Elvenar, which in my opinion will reduce the amount of time spent on city planning. This is because such a feature in the game would make city planning easier as it would show you the exact position and the size of everything, which reduces the amount of city puzzling required as it makes it less difficult to see which buildings can be moved and where to without the need for trial and error.

I would also like to make it clear that I have supported the idea for city planning external tools such as this one here because I understand that some players would like to have such tools available to use and as I know that this will not be added to Elvenar by the developers.

DeletedUser

@Madena:

Taking all of your replies within this thread into consideration as well as having taken another read through the Live Q&A session thread, I have come to the following understanding:

Elvenar is a city builder that relies on two features to make it unique amongst all city builders out there:
  • most buildings need a street connection
  • buildings have a fixed shape (excluding changes caused through upgrades)
These are the core aspects that create the 'city puzzling' experience within Elvenar.

Will there be a 2D map (bird's eye view) implemented into the game? No, because it makes the game too easy by decreasing the 'city puzzling' aspect.

Why?

As obstacles like paths or small (1x1 tile) buildings would be easier to see, this would simplify the rearrangement of a cities building layout during movement mode. In addition this reduces the trial and error aspect within the game, making it less of a challenge. As too low of a challenge risks the game becoming boring very quickly it is important to maintain a certain degree of difficulty.

Will there be a city planning tool implemented into the game? Again, no, because it makes the game too easy by decreasing the 'city puzzling' aspect.

Why?

As mentioned above with the 2D map, a tool to help plan the layout of a city would simplify the 'city-puzzling' core mechanic of the game. It would then be much easier to define where buildings can be placed, thus reducing the puzzling aspect and the building of a city becomes less challenging.

Ergo:​

Whether you wish to create the most beautiful, efficient, militarised or whatever style of city you can come up with, be prepared for tons of trial and error because you won't receive any in-game features to aid you once a building has begun construction. Apart from the ability to move it around should you have enough space of course.

Wanting to plan ahead and prepare the layout of your city like a true strategist? Then be prepared to grab a pencil and a sheet of paper, your graphics tablet, or whatever else you fancy to achieve your goals by your own means. We won't be helping you with that – so have fun! :)

DeletedUser

I'm too stupid to get my head around the concept of not implementing features ingame that make city planning less clumsy because that makes it "too easy", yet encouraging the use of third party tools which do the same thing. Wouldn't that imply using such tools is "cheating"?

DeletedUser814

Hello Slotharingia,

It is not cheating and there is no rule that states that you can't use external resources such as this one here or any other means to do your own city planning, despite the fact that the developers won't implement such a feature in Elvenar. The reasons why such a feature in Elvenar just won't be considered by the developers is because it would both reduce city puzzling and remove the trial and error aspect of Elvenar, which would make city planning less challenging for players.

DeletedUser

There's also a sneaky, but very effective way to upgrade your roadway.
  1. Anchor one end of your roadway upgrade near an edge of your city, where it's nicely visible
  2. Click the OTHER end of your roadway upgrade near your Main Hall
  3. Backtrack toward your anchor point UNTIL the new roadway turns from Red to Green
  4. Drop it into place

Status
Not open for further replies.