• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Battles

• Thread starter DeletedUser2838
  • Start date

DeletedUser2838

Inno, your battle fighting system is getting silly again. I can start off significantly numerically superior. I can have all my 4-star strength units selected exactly to deal with the opposition and then I just keep losing. Not just losing but getting massacred. And this is just on one of the 4 battles on just one of the provinces in the tournament. Clearing half a dozen provinces takes a weeks worth of troop building which makes me not very useful for my fellowship's tournament and doesn't help me gain non-tournament provinces. What is the point of fighting? The only thing we can do is accumulate large amounts of goods and pay-off all the battles, and where's the fun in that? I realise you don't want us winning easily nearly all of the time, but at the moment we seem to be losing most of the time. It's boring!
From watching what my units do during a fight it seems you have made them fight with one hand tied behind their back why? I have units wandering up and down the page refusing to engage but acting as useful cannon-fodder for the enemy. I have my units that throw things from a distance moving to stand right next to an enemy close-combat unit (that's stupid), and then attack an enemy unit elsewhere (even more stupid). When I start off with throwing units against close-combat enemy units my units don't bother to throw for one or two rounds (why). In the reverse circumstances enemy units attack immediately. My units are more interested in clear-up rather than efficient attacking, with two of my units facing two of theirs with, for example, the enemy units at 60 each, my first unit might attack and knock one enemy unit down from 60 to 1, my second unit rather than knock 59 out of the second enemy unit will finish off the unit on 1. Ridiculous tactics!. The enemy don't do that. And lastly, though probably not. Enemy units seem to be able to knock 2, 3 sometimes 4 times their own strength out of my units, whereas my units rarely get above attacking with more than 1 times their strength. And worst of all you let the enemy fight with up to 8 units but players can have no more than 5 Why? Essentially I'm saying you don't need to ingrain all these dubious tactics I've outlined above into my units, they are set up to lose without you additionally crippling my units. I just can't see any point in the fighting.

Thezza

Spellcaster
Er...I get the impression, from the way you describe what is happening, that you are Auto Fighting !! NO...STOP IT. If you fight manually it is really easy to win.
You could lose one unit because the enemy will always try to attack the one with least numbers. If you have the right units in the field it really is easy.

Thezza

Spellcaster
If you hover over the enemy units it will show you where they can move to, keep your units out of range till they have moved then attack with all of yours. Your dogs will decimate any mage units, Archers can attack from far away, it is really easy to learn the best troops to use and the best tactics to use to minimise losses, but you must stop Auto Fighting!!

DeletedUser441

Er...I get the impression, from the way you describe what is happening, that you are Auto Fighting !! NO...STOP IT. If you fight manually it is really easy to win.
You could lose one unit because the enemy will always try to attack the one with least numbers. If you have the right units in the field it really is easy.
Some of us can't fight manually as our computers can't cope.
I thought the auto fight system had changed myself. I lost almost all my troops fighting the first round. :( Either they've changed something without informing us or there's another glitch in the system. I've stopped doing the tournament as it is impossible to fight with no troops and it also seems a lot more expensive to cater.:(:( :mad:

DeletedUser2838

I'm sorry, I got a real life! I'm not going to waste my time manually fighting. For the tournaments I might chose to go through 6 provinces each with four battles. That's 24 encounters. I just haven't got time to fight all those manually. My main problem and complaint is there doesn't seem to be any parity between my troops and the enemy troops, mine are being handicapped and I don't see that Inno need to do that. Enemy troops are tactically far superior and mine are just numpties - I even know when I am about to win a battle now, most of my troops stop engaging/fighting! This means the remnants of the enemy can inflict even greater losses on my units before the one or two units of mine still up for fighting finish off those remnants - it just doesn't make sense.

DeletedUser2838

IYour dogs will decimate any mage units, Archers can attack from far away, it is really easy to learn the best troops to use and the best tactics to use to minimise losses, but you must stop Auto Fighting!!

I am aware that various unit types are best against certain unit enemy types and I carefully select my units to be the most usefully powerful they can be against the enemy. Then when I set them off (going back to tactics again), they all choose to attack units for which they are not the best option. Left to their own devices my dogs won't attack mages, at least not until the end when there is no choice. It's all very well saying it's easy to learn the best troops to use but Inno have already given me that information and I use it, then I find they ignore it - we are back to my claim that my units are being willfully handicapped by the software, and I don't see there is a reason to do that.

DeletedUser441

Obviously a change has been made or there is a glitch. I have been consistently in the top 50 in tournaments and know which troops are best suited for whichever enemy troop type . I lost all my Cerberus' in the first round :( and now I have quit the tournament because the catering costs also seem a lot higher. (probably because I have to cater much more).
Please get the Auto fight system checked or reset .

DeletedUser4528

Past success is never a guarantee of future success. The Battles were changed a while back, so that there is a greater diversity of opposition forces to face in each battle. As such your choices and deployment are critical if you are to be victorious. Auto Fighting is a handy tool, but is no substitute for manual battles where you can plan each and every move.

Thezza

Spellcaster
And fighting manually does not take that much time..you will save huge amounts of troops, it really makes no sense at all to Auto Fight, especially if it isn't working well for you. And your argument about parity does not stack up at all. The fight will be the same troops against the same troops..in Auto Fight you are losing, by fighting manually you will win the fight. You cannot just expect to win every fight using Auto, otherwise we all just need to press the button and win...the idea is to work out how to win by fighting manually.

DeletedUser441

Past success is never a guarantee of future success. The Battles were changed a while back, so that there is a greater diversity of opposition forces to face in each battle. As such your choices and deployment are critical if you are to be victorious. Auto Fighting is a handy tool, but is no substitute for manual battles where you can plan each and every move.
In that case I may as well quit. I can't afford a new computer and this one cannot cope with the manual fighting system.:(
Auto fight is not worth the losses in troops.So why have it at all ? Another change that ruins my game experience.I'm home all day but still don't want to spend all the hours of the day playing this , so choose auto fight to save time. It seems like the game makers expect people to play 24/7 . Get real ! :mad: Changes are making the game far less appealing.
The stats of all my troops are worthless in the auto fight system so all my AW upgrades are worthless as well as all other upgrades. You have made auto fight pointless !

Last edited by a moderator:

Lelanya

Mentor
You must teach the battle system your own tactics! It is capable of learning but you must lead the way.

What colour are these provinces you are solving? If they are orange or red you can expect to fare poorly. Bring in a size upgrade and some other military tech. Why does no one seem to get this point? Skipping the size ups only gives you a TEMPORARY advantage in tourney. A scouted province retains its difficulty level forever in tourney! Scouted at hard means hard for tourney which will cost you down the road!

DeletedUser441

You must teach the battle system your own tactics! It is capable of learning but you must lead the way.

What colour are these provinces you are solving? If they are orange or red you can expect to fare poorly. Bring in a size upgrade and some other military tech. Why does no one seem to get this point? Skipping the size ups only gives you a TEMPORARY advantage in tourney. A scouted province retains its difficulty level forever in tourney! Scouted at hard means hard for tourney which will cost you down the road!
Check who you are trying to teach sucking eggs to before you give advice young lady.
I have all research done to the start of Sorcerers and Dragons, All my buildings are maxed (except AWs ). I have all AWs at good levels and rising constantly. I have been in the top 50 almost every tournament since they started, Initially higher. The auto fight system has been dumbed down beyond belief. It is now useless. The loss of troops makes it pointless to use.:(
And of the 340 Provinces I've solved , the last 10 read "Medium".

Deleted User - 106219

A scouted province retains its difficulty level forever in tourney! Scouted at hard means hard for tourney which will cost you down the road!
That is NOT TRUE! The tournament difficulty has nothing to do with how difficult a province was when you scouted it on the World Map! See this post for how tournament diifculty is calculated.

DeletedUser3985

And fighting manually does not take that much time..
Are you serious? Manual fights take so much longer than auto-fights and are also incredibly boring. I'm not exactly sure how much longer they take in comparison to auto but I would argue 10 times longer wouldn't be an exaggeration. This is especially troublesome when there's a timer on the tournament. The longer you take to complete a province level the less likely you are to finish all 6 levels of a province.
You cannot just expect to win every fight using Auto, otherwise we all just need to press the button and win...the idea is to work out how to win by fighting manually.
So it's not okay to auto-fight to win but catering is fine? You cannot just expect people to spend the majority of their time in-game manually fighting tournament provinces.

DeletedUser2838

Thezza said:
You cannot just expect to win every fight using Auto, otherwise we all just need to press the button and win...the idea is to work out how to win by fighting manually.

I don't expect to win every time using auto. As I keep saying, my troops seem somehow handicapped such that when all the units are selected as the best choice against the enemy units, and I am significantly numerically superior I generally get defeated. On the world map I win about one third of my "easy" province encounters and zero of my "medium" encounters. It's a curious definition of easy.

Edit by Muf-Muf: fixed broken quote bbcode.

DeletedUser2838

Are we playing the same game? "orange or red"!!!!! I can't even win in yellow and only a small proportion of green.

And the size upgrade seems to be pointless as well. For example if I have unit strength of 400 I find an enemy unit can knock out 100 with a shot, and when my unit strength is 600 suddenly the same strength enemy unit can unexpectedly knock out 150 with one shot. So size upgrades gain me little or no advantage, in fact the reverse as now with the same number of battle troops I have fewer but bigger units, so the number of encounters I can do has decreased.

DeletedUser441

I've just tried the manual fighting again. It actually worked ! :eek:(so it's not my computer's problem) Some of the enemy units were "invisible" though,.and it took ages to complete one encounter. Admittedly it's possible to do better than the auto fight system but it takes much too long. I noticed far more obstacles in the battlefield but didn't use drone riders as they are too weak. I prefer auto fight and wish that our levels of study and AWs were better represented in the auto fight system , as well as troop initiative. Recent changes have handicapped troops too severely when using auto fight.:(

DeletedUser1816

Auto fighting is not quite as useless as it seems. You just have to understand how it works. The system wont attack the units best suited, but chooses depending on the initiative. This results in very stupid moves of the AI (that's true for both sides, your troops as well as the enemies!).
So, often you get the best result with just one type of troops, i.e. all light melee (that way the AI can't mess up!).

You have to experiment a bit, www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com also has some hints on how to fight the battles on auto.

I almost exclusively do tournaments with auto fights, up to province 20 and up to round 6. It does require a lot of troops, but it works.

EDIT:

Ps. Don't trust the star rating system, look at the strenghts and weeknesses directly! E.g. 1-2 squads of Orc Deserters will kill any number of light melee. Treants, however, can kill Enchantresses without too many losses.

DeletedUser441

Ps. Don't trust the star rating system, look at the strenghts and weeknesses directly! E.g. 1-2 squads of Orc Deserters will kill any number of light melee. Treants, however, can kill Enchantresses without too many losses.[/QUOTE]

I have seen one enchantress slay 5 treants by simply staying out of range ! The auto fight system has changed for the worse. I've done every tournament since they began and always used auto fight. The recent change to more varied enemy troops and more difficult terrain results in massive increases in troop losses. If anyone completed 20 provinces to the 6th round they'd probably be No1. I only do the first 8 provinces to the 6th round , usually, and provinces 9-16 to round 2/3 . This has kept me in the top 40 most of the time.

Lelanya

Mentor
Are we playing the same game? "orange or red"!!!!! I can't even win in yellow and only a small proportion of green.

And the size upgrade seems to be pointless as well. For example if I have unit strength of 400 I find an enemy unit can knock out 100 with a shot, and when my unit strength is 600 suddenly the same strength enemy unit can unexpectedly knock out 150 with one shot. So size upgrades gain me little or no advantage, in fact the reverse as now with the same number of battle troops I have fewer but bigger units, so the number of encounters I can do has decreased.
Then you need to improve your tactics. A green province is easily winnable if you learn the troops and their capabilities. Try taking one if everyone and seeing what they can do. Every unit has a purpose so discover and enjoy :)