• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Armouries & Required Culture

Jake65

Sage
Pondering out loud in a way but also looking for opinions....... ;)

Part 1:
Besides in the Trader for the collection bonus for OhNo!rium, where else is "required culture" a factor?
When struggling with OhNo!rium quantities, it was recommended to boost my required culture(RC) with armouries which have a high RC relative to population required. It certainly helped building an extra armoury bringing my grand total to two.

Currently my OhNo!rium production is okay which has got me looking at my armouries (again) slightly sideways.

Part2:
I see some cities with lots of armouries and I really don't get the strategy of that. Other than the RC (see above), Orc production isn't great and training size increase is particularly meh. With the Shrewdy Shrooms now working on squad size instead of armoury levels, a large number of them makes even less sense to me.

For the sake of some numbers (anybody else miss SirDerf being around?), my squad size is 5925
Level 40 armoury training size = 660. Level 1 Bulwark size = 1067. Level 35 Bulwark size = 10665 (not a typo) Same would apply to the Shrooms. That's 16 armouries worth of training size each.

24 hour Orc production per tile:
Level 40 armoury = 124 (costs supplies)
Orc nest = 160 (free)
Echoes of the Forgotten = 400 (free)
Level 5 Shrine of the Champions AW = 238 (5000 tourney points)

Have armouries become a bit redundant now with the Shrooms no longer linked to them? (Don't read this, Inno)
Training size and orc production aren't great and RC is good but only when population is taken into account.

Any thoughts, comments, opinions and AWKP always welcome :)

Valedoress

Alchemist
In Chapter 16 - I have never run more than 3 Armouries with all of the available AWs for fighting and I have more troops than I can use without going completely insane in the Tournament, Spire etc. I have never understood the need for more than 3 myself but have read that some players go for the Maximum Ranking Points route with their cities.

Now regards Orcs. Yes the Armoury production is meh per 12 hours. I always supplement my cities with Orc Nests and any Building giving these out is a nice bonus. My fighting city is sitting pretty (close to a Million Orcs) but my trading city is always around 75 - 200 K which is a struggle when an aspect of the game wants a shed load to progress.

Ps. which AWs? I might have a few spare, especially the TOS and TOHM.

MinervaOz

Enchanter
It depends on your strategy, but I'm fast coming to the view that serious fighters now need more amouries. I'm assuming 'serious fighters' time boost most of their troops and they aim to keep the total training time above 20 hours, to take advantage of 20 hour boosts.

When Shrooms was dependent on armouries, each armoury contributed a significant amount to training size. When that link was broken, training sizes - and therefore total training time - dropped. While the size of the effect would have been greater for those with more armouries, the contribution of the armouries themselves was enough - for many - to keep the training time over the 20 hour threshold. At least, I haven't seen any end-game players with 15+ armouries complaining that they can't maintain it.

To illustrate: I have 8 armouries. When the changes happened I was part way through chapter 20, with Shrooms and Bulwark both at 31, and a total training time of around 22 hours in each building. After the AW changes, my total training time dropped a little but was still over 20 hours. Then I reached the military building upgrades for the chapter, which had a big effect. The difference in training size between levels 31 and 35 Shrooms/Bulwark is about 1000 for each - not enough to increase the training time back above 20 hours, and in any case it will drop again with military building upgrades in future chapters. Once they are maxed, the only way to increase training size is through squad size upgrades and armouries. And since each armoury now has a smaller contribution, it will take more of them to have the same effect.

I take a break between chapters, but I have completed the squad size upgrade at the start of ch 21. This has pushed my training time out again, but I can see it's going to be tricky to maintain it. I'm not building more armouries yet but I can see I might have to at some point.

OldHag

Necromancer
Best I stick to giving you some kps or I'll end up confusing us all......lol

p.s I have 20 armouries and all 3 mil buildings (barracks, merc camp, training grounds) are all above a 20hr training time, but armouries require a hefty chunk of culture for each one.

SkyRider99

Immortal
The most common reason for people building lots of armouries is to gain ranking points.
Yes.

And the second one is free sentient goods with a Pyramid of Purification :)
And yes again, more importantly. This is a good reason for me to also retain the Pyramid of Purification AW. Not the most attractive building IMHO.

I maintain seven (7) upgraded armouries, mostly to keep up with the high demand for orcs. For example, tournament catering costs for just one province can cost up to 35K orcs. And I do around 20 provinces for all six rounds.

SkyRider99

Immortal
take a break between chapters, but I have completed the squad size upgrade at the start of ch 21.
Warning: Controversial and contentious comment follows.

I have similarly completed all squad size upgrades. I have never found that it 'makes fights easier'. The enemy squad sizes in Tournament and Spire are just made bigger by the game to counteract my increased squad size. But, oh joy, I can fight with bigger armies and lose more troops. Humbug!

Normal services returning in three, two, one .....

1714264335106.png

Jake65

Sage
where else is "required culture" a factor?
I have since learnt from a friendly Winyandorian (while discussing crocheting techniques ;)) that the Temple of Spirits AW bases it's OhNo!rium yield for spire chests on Required Culture.
Turns out the RC makes a huge difference.
If I had a level 31 Temple, with my current RC of 452K, then I would get 5K OhNo!rium per spire chest.
I don't know what their RC is (they have lots of armouries) but with their level31 Temple they get 24K OhNo!rium per chest.

In a roundabout way, it sort of makes sense to build armouries (and the Temple) to boost OhNo!rium stocks.

Pauly7

Magus
where else is "required culture" a factor?
Is this besides the obvious answer that required culture is the amount of culture which your city must maintain in order to operate? Of course required culture then informs the culture bonus, which for many is a huge factor in the game. This is where I am going first when thinking about culture.

OldHag

Necromancer
Aswell as the OhNo!rium you get per spire chest, you also get OhNo!rium from each event currency pick up around your city. For example in my case with a level 31 Temple I get 12.3k OhNo!rium per pick up.
If you hover over some ones score on the ranking lists, you can see their 'required culture'.
Size 10?.....lol

OldHag

Necromancer
I just put a level 43 armoury into inventory and to return it to my city, it requires 52k culture, so too have many, you need mucho 'available' culture.

Jake65

Sage
Is this besides the obvious answer that required culture is the amount of culture which your city must maintain in order to operate?
Yes, in retrospect I should have worded it as "where else is required culture a factor in acquiring resources". Something like that.
It made sense in my head :)

Kazzandra

Alchemist
Warning: Controversial and contentious comment follows.

I have similarly completed all squad size upgrades. I have never found that it 'makes fights easier'. The enemy squad sizes in Tournament and Spire are just made bigger by the game to counteract my increased squad size. But, oh joy, I can fight with bigger armies and lose more troops. Humbug!

Normal services returning in three, two, one .....

View attachment 8576
Hmmm… I’m just trying to get through a chapter as quickly as possible, and if I can skip some research along the way, so much the better. There doesn’t seem to be “extra creativity “ in these late chapters. I’m not complaining about that. The game hasn’t become harder to figure out. Same ole grind in a newer chapter. At least, that’s what it appears to be…