• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Ancient Wonder leveling clubs

DeletedUser1265

Hi there everyone

Since the Ancient Wonders are now definitely worth having our fellowship is investigating new and wonderful ways to level these up. Currently we have 2 endless KP threads (3KP and 5KP respectively) and we are considering a KP lottery for our AWs.

However, I was wondering what other approaches there are to leveling AWs. If you wouldn't mind sharing what you're doing in your fellowship here. We are trying to diversify our strategy to include various size cities, as we have large cities (150k+) to early chapter cities (below 2000 points).

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

DeletedUser487

While we don't have a system in place, I think a good way would be for everyone in the FS to say for one week, each player will donate X amount of KP to X player to ensure it gets levelled up properly. Only think is it is hard to organise.

DeletedUser1265

While we don't have a system in place, I think a good way would be for everyone in the FS to say for one week, each player will donate X amount of KP to X player to ensure it gets levelled up properly. Only think is it is hard to organise.

I thought about this too, but then players would have to wait up to 25 weeks for their turn. Unless we break it down into smaller groups of 5 and each fellow in the group gets 1 day where each member donates 5kp to a chosen AW (so it will be 20kp/week) with weekends to spend KP as you please?

DeletedUser1829

There is a thread on the US forum by @Katwijk which helps to explain different types of wonder programs and the pros and cons of each.
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/knowledge-point-clubs-an-analysis.1136/#post-7293

Some of the fellowships I am in use to use the endless KP thread approach but it was problematic. We now use a spreadsheet assisted approach, it works extremely well. We did run an endless thread at the same time as the spreadsheet approach but every time people naturally stopped using the thread in favour of the spreadsheet method.

DeletedUser1829

I have some information in my guide about wonders and wonder programs but it is very similar to the post linked above as there are only so many programs around. Although if you do want a second interpretation you can look for it in the wonders section of the guide (US forum).

DeletedUser

I thought about this too, but then players would have to wait up to 25 weeks for their turn. Unless we break it down into smaller groups of 5 and each fellow in the group gets 1 day where each member donates 5kp to a chosen AW (so it will be 20kp/week) with weekends to spend KP as you please?
I wouldn't like this system at all, we have a 5kp chain thread going which works really well and people dip in and out depending where they are on the tech tree. On your system does it mean that those people who aren't stuck on the tech tree would have to donate 5kp a day rather than progressing with the tree?

DeletedUser1829

On your system does it mean that those people who aren't stuck on the tech tree would have to donate 5kp a day rather than progressing with the tree?

I understood from those comments it would be a fixed donation. 5kp is very small to donate to wonders on a daily basis and when you reach guest races rarely slows a players advancement compared to someone who goes 100% tech tree. Tournaments also narrow the gap due to KP earned there lowering the % used on wonders.

I also prefer something different to the method suggested but for me I don't like a flat donation rate, which is also an issue with endless threads. I prefer the ability to have no min/max donation and for those without wonders but tech locked to be capable of participating.

DeletedUser1265

I also prefer something different to the method suggested but for me I don't like a flat donation rate, which is also an issue with endless threads. I prefer the ability to have no min/max donation and for those without wonders but tech locked to be capable of participating.

Agreed, that is something that was mentioned in our fellowship too. Not sure how to approach that though, except maybe pairing up with another fellow who has an AW you're interested in donating to, so you will only invest in each others. But for that to work you would both have to be in the same place in the tech tree?

I will have a look at your guide too, I found the one in the link a tad technical, however I may need to sit with it and work through it carefully. I need to dumb it down for myself - It is very commerce related and being a lit major I am getting stuck in the semantics.

I wouldn't like this system at all, we have a 5kp chain thread going which works really well and people dip in and out depending where they are on the tech tree. On your system does it mean that those people who aren't stuck on the tech tree would have to donate 5kp a day rather than progressing with the tree?

Yes, it would mean that you would sacrifice progress in the tech tree. However, since participation is voluntary it may interest those that want to focus on their wonders.

DeletedUser1829

Trying to simplify Katwijks post. There are 3 common forms of clubs
  • Swaps
  • Rotations
  • Spreadsheet

Swaps
Typically 2 people swap KP between themselves and then try to get external assistance for the last few KP
  • Very simple
  • Focused approach
  • Speed depends on swap partners but would still be slow compared to other options
  • No rewards for KP spent on your own wonder or lower ratio of reward to contribution.
Rotations
This can have multiple styles from endless KP threads to rotating wonder between a group (like the one mentioned above)
Generally easy to maintain but has weaknesses as it can be vulnerable to "snipers" and often come with a fixed donation amount so time zones, playtime, tech lock, events all come into play. Often members are putting some KP into the club and some to wonders outside the club.
  • Simple to manage
  • Only those with wonders can join in
  • Normally KP is spread among a lot of wonders
  • Often Very Slow to level wonders. Some approaches are faster than others
  • Fixed donations - Not all KP members want to put into wonders may go into the club due to donation limits.
  • Works well with only a couple people, can work with large groups too
Spreadsheet
Highest effort to maintain but can avoid weaknesses of other options.
  • No min/max donations - which means time zones/tech lock, playtime and events/tournaments (extra KP) are not an issue
  • Those without wonders can join in
  • Focused approach
  • Fast leveling - often 1-2 days, so quick to earn rewards which help the members/club level wonders quicker
  • No KP is wasted as everything you put in you can get back plus rewards
  • Requires someone to monitor and maintain a spreadsheet
  • Works better with 6+ people but can work with less.
Generally if your club has a focused approach it will minimise the risk of snipers and allow wonders to level faster. Certain rotations can focus but many of them are like a honey bee going from flower to flower and eventually one day the wonder levels and the rewards are received. Accessing rewards quicker benefits all members due to more rewards and individuals get benefits of the wonders faster.

DeletedUser1265

Trying to simplify Katwijks post. There are 3 common forms of clubs

You are officially my hero. :p Thank you!

I think based on the aforementioned we may need to apply more than one approach in our FS.

Cregganroe

Conjurer
We have an endless thread.... I'm not great at these things so I'll leave it to one of the brains of our fs that introduced it @sunrae... But put in my simplistic way.... we have a message thread with no pressure as and when you have 5 kp spare be it today, in aweek or a month then you can donate to the last person on the list.... That way the ones that are stuck on the tree donate more often than those lower down the tree but if you are eager to get your research done then you just donate more often and it comes back to you.... @sunrae will correct if I have got it wrong but that is in very simple terms I believe :p

DeletedUser1265

We have an endless thread

Thanks for the reply, your description makes perfect sense. We also have an endless thread. It works well, especially now that we have a 3kp and a 5kp one. I am just finding that I still sit on lots of KP as the thread may not move fast enough and some fellows don't see the value in it, which is why I am exploring alternatives, especially for the big cities that are stuck and unable to spend KP on unlocking tech.

And thanks for the simple terms, otherwise my head might explode. :p

DeletedUser1829

We also have an endless thread. It works well, especially now that we have a 3kp and a 5kp one.

I read somewhere of a fellowship with 4 endless threads. Unsure if it was different values or just multiples of the same to enable larger donations as needed. Unsure what level of activity you would need for it to work with that many though.

DeletedUser813

Our Fellowship does not do KP rounds at all. If a member is coming up to an upgrade, they will post on the side bar to let everyone know, and then donations are made according to what each player is willing to donate.

Deleted User - 13667

Our Fellowship does not do KP rounds at all. If a member is coming up to an upgrade, they will post on the side bar to let everyone know, and then donations are made according to what each player is willing to donate.
Exactly what my team is doing. Doing round robin is not going to get you more. Im the only left in this game 2 years+, my AW regardless how slow it is now at Level 7. And I did delete 2 other lower AW. Just find it taking too much space with too little rewards

DeletedUser3366

Based on playing Foe I would recommend running swaps based on friendship. Ie deals like: I will put 5 KP in yours every day, and you put 5 in mine. Deal to end when one of us go idle or write to say he dont want it anymore.

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
My toughts: never putting kp in your own wonder but putting them in someone elses wonder and getting those kp you spend back is the way to got.
Not only can you get 0 extra kp from filling your own wonder, you also prevent strangers from putting kp in your wonder and running away with the rewards from help. So a rotation is the best way in my opinion it keeps the kp reward inside the fellowship and thus helps you all progress with your wonders faster.

we currently have a 5 kp thread, a 15 kp thread and a 20 kp thread.

The last 2 we added recently because some of our players couldnt get rid of the kp from the tournament reward at the end, and most of us think its a waste to put those kp in your own wonder. So now if you comee online on saterday night or sunday and you receive your 75kp reward, you can get rid of them quite easily.