• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Behind the Scenes: Upcoming changes for Tournaments

Muf-Muf

Elvenar Team
Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss the upcoming changes for Tournaments, which will be available on the International servers in two weeks' time. More information can be found here.

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

Deleted User - 106219

You "forgot" to mention that we now get a lot less Relics and KP per tournament province. This makes it a lot more difficult for new players to increase their boosts. It also means a lot less Relics to use for creating spells in the Magic Academy, and a lot less KP to spend on techs and AWs.

Overall the new province rewards are significantly less attractive.

At the same time catering costs are now significantly higher, and not just because there are fewer encounters per province. My Chapter 5 city on Beta needs Magic Dust (a Tier III good) on the very first round of the very first province when previoously that wasn't the case.

Timneh

Artisan
This change has gone down like a lead balloon on beta, it will be interesting to see how it will be liked here. I personally think that the new province rewards are not worth the goods needed to cater (i don't know about troop losses yet). This change could possibly see a big drop in tournament participation but maybe that is what Inno want for some strange reason, time will tell.

Killiak

Artisan
When we got the tournament change, I posted several times because I was worried the tournaments would get nerfed too hard. That they would no longer be a decent option for newer players AND that this would harm events for people who could only reliably get relics through tourneys. Luckily, that turned out to not be the case and the FS tourneys have given rise to much KP swapping for AW in my fellowship. It has promoted actual ACTIVITY and INTERACTION!

The only real problem was the ridiculous amount of points needed for higher rewards. Which, I admit, will be adressed with this update.

But unfortunately, you are now doing exactly which I was so adamantly against; the rewards per province/star are being dropped harshly making the tournament a waste of resources and slowing down progress considerably AGAIN. The increase in squad sizes causes a lot more losses than before and rises far more sharply. The catering costs have gone up a tremendous amount.
Tournaments will be a proper waste of resources for very little gain and it will most definitely NOT promote FS activity and willingness to play.

I have to wonder if part of the dev's job is to stuff giant plugs in their ears before coming to work every morning.Seriously; stop messing up the actual good parts of your game.
How many times must we tell you to stop failing around, how many more players are yo uwilling to chase away from your game?

This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I guess we will see. I don't like the idea of getting less relics as the ancient wonders get quite expensive in relics to upgrade, so unless they want us to not build / upgrade our wonders, sounds like a negative.

I do like the idea of getting broken rune shards though.

Deleted User - 106219

Just to give people some idea what the new rewards are like, I'm going to post the rewards I will be getting for the second round (I already compelted the first round yesterday):
12 Tournament Points per province (since all are at the same round)

2 KP 1 Relic
1 Relic 1 Broken Shard
2 Relics 1 Ensorcelled Endowment
3 KP 2 Relics
2 Relics 1 (random) Rune
3 Relics 1 Ensorcelled Endowment
4 KP 3 Relics
3 Relics 1 Broken Rune

That's all the provinces I have unlocked on Beta. Now remember, this is for the second round. In the first round there were even less Relics and KP, and some of the spells were Power of Provision.

Catering cost per encounter, for the second round of the first province (for a player in the middle of chapter 5):
120 Steel, 61 Scrolls, 22 Magic Dust
94 Steel, 41 Scrolls, 66 Magic Dust
62 Steel 120 Scrolls 55 Magic Dust
190 Steel 100 Scrolls 44 Magic Dust

Catering cost per encounter, for the second round of the EIGHT province (for a player in the middle of chapter 5):
950 Steel, 460 Scrolls, 170 Magic Dust
710 Steel, 310 Scrolls, 500 Magic Dust
470 Steel 930 Scrolls 420 Elixir
1400 Marble 770 Crystals 330 Magic Dust

DeletedUser3034

And I still don't quite understand this "increased squad" size. In the Beta world, a non-tourney province, my squad size is 90. Not huge, but I can work with that. Enter a tourney province, and my squad size "increases" from that 90 to SIX. Enemy moves and 2 squads are dead.

Killiak

Artisan
And I still don't quite understand this "increased squad" size. In the Beta world, a non-tourney province, my squad size is 90. Not huge, but I can work with that. Enter a tourney province, and my squad size "increases" from that 90 to SIX. Enemy moves and 2 squads are dead.

In tournaments, both your squad size and enemy squad size are smaller in the first provinces. They are "lower class" provinces, like your very first fights were. It represents an easy province/fight.

What they mean is that the squad size has increased in comparison to the old tournament.

DeletedUser3034

In the old tournament, a whole week ago, my squad size was 90. Now it's 6. So, even in comparison to the old tournament it is DECREASED. And an easy fight won't have 2 or 3 stacks of magic types against a player who isn't far enough along to have similar troops.

Bottom line: I'm just into chapter 3, and while for the last several weeks I could fight the 1st and second stars of 2 or 3 provinces, now I cannot fight even the first encounter.

Killiak

Artisan
In the old tournament, a whole week ago, my squad size was 90. Now it's 6. So, even in comparison to the old tournament it is DECREASED. .

Your squad size and difficulty in the tournament is heavily dependant on which province it is (first or eight?) and which star level you are at. Your squad size depends on the unit you used as well. So unless you have more info I cannot tell if your comparison is sound.

Also, are you talking about Beta or live server? Because the beta was heavily rebalanced and the tourney difficulty and encounters are now influenced strongly by the chapter you are in.
This may be the reason for the change you are seeing.

DeletedUser3034

To repeat, in Beta, the first province of the tournament, first visit, using size 1 troops. Last week my squad size was 90, now it is 6. So, instead of 90 archers I get 6. That is not an increase.

Granted the enemy squad of 6 archers is the same size, yet they kill 3 and I kill 1 in an "about even" fight.

As I stated,for weeks I have been fighting my way through 2 provinces in the tourneys, often into the second round, now I cannot win the fights at all and must pay to cater. At the 3rd province the cost to cater 1 encounter becomes excessive compared to my level and production capability.

Timneh

Artisan
Reading the feedback on the beta forum it seems that the catering costs have gone up a lot which kind of makes a mockery of Innos statement in the announcement that "In total, the amounts of units or goods you need will be similar to what you need now per province".

DeletedUser416

This change could possibly see a big drop in tournament participation but maybe that is what Inno want for some strange reason, time will tell.

After all "re-balancing" Inno did in last 6-7 months I strongly belive that they don't want players gain anything from the game, they want players buy everything. That is the only reason they are taking away KPs and relics and slowing down game, AGAIN. I gusess there are players who have no problem with buying stuff they should be gaining from playing the game but I am not one of them. :rolleyes:

Killiak

Artisan
Granted the enemy squad of 6 archers is the same size, yet they kill 3 and I kill 1 in an "about even" fight.

Have you compared the stats of the enemy squad with yours? Because enemies tend to have way better stats than yours. Inno doesn't want you to have too much success you know.

Timneh

Artisan
If the information on the beta forum about the new tournaments is correct i for one will not be doing any more. When Inno said "In total, the amounts of units or goods you need will be similar to what you need now per province" it actually means per province when scouting on the world map. That means a lot more troops and/or goods for a lot less KPs and relics. This is just what some of the beta players are saying so it could be wrong. Maybe the Inno CM could confirm or deny this for us to clear it up.

sunrae

Soothsayer
I can't quote stats etc, not really interested in that too much and there are greater minds than mine to work it all out. All I can say is in one city in Beta I have just started Fairies, I have been battling 3 levels on auto-fight and winning them all and only using catering on the 4 star level upwards. This is an improvement as I was starting to cater earlier than that before the changes. Yes the costs have gone up but there are only 4 provinces instead of 8 so I think it balances out.

The prizes are more varied with spells (which some do not like - but I do) and relics and runes and broken shards. Over all if you do all the levels there are less KPs but more of things we did not get before. In fact I think Inno have actually done what people have been asking them to do for a while which is make tourneys more varied and interesting and make it so that the battling doesn't take hours . Alongside the useful stats and observations from players on the Beta forum which the Devs can use to improve the game, there are complaints and negative comments but I think that the changes are positive and in fact I am enjoying the tournaments more now that I did before.

It does seem as though less KPs will slow some of the game play down but tomorrow there is going to be an announcement about changes to how we can choose needed runes so they may speed some game play up too. It is very early days and change often takes time to get used to and understand so maybe we should let it run awhile before judging whether its a good or a bad change to the game overall? Everyone complained about the wholesaler changes but now there are more trades being put on the market.

Basically you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time .........

Timneh

Artisan
Everyone complained about the wholesaler changes but now there are more trades being put on the market.

Not in my neighbourhood there isn't and since the change there are a LOT more zero star trades appearing. There are two there now, one is offering 400 marble and demanding 600 silk the other is offering 40 steel and demanding 150 marble

DeletedUser

Well, personally, I think they need to re-assess the so called 'player movement' they say they are doing. I've been keeping track of all my neighbors when doing my daily neighborly help and the only movement out of my area is by players who are completely deleted from the game do to inactivity and the only players who have been added into my area are new Chapter 1 starter cities. They need to get a better rotation to make sure all areas of the map benefit from this movement. Having active neighbors would help trading as the number of active players who have tier 2 or tier 3 goods to trade are quite small.

Also, they might want to consider increasing the range of trades you can see at the +50% premium to a few more rings out from your city.

Lost a couple of more of the few higher level neighbors in the couple weeks since the new wholesaler was introduced and as they are above Chapter 3 they will not be deleted and replaced just leaving another useless spot as far as trading goes.