• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Closed | Archived World map missing data

• Thread starter Deleted User - 67582
  • Start date

Deleted User - 67582

B]Game version 0.31.2735-v0.31.1
Game world: Arendyll
Browser + version: Internet Explorer
Flash Player version: 20.0.0.228
Operating System: Windows 7
Screen resolution: 1280x1024
Account name: Saski the Great
Humans or Elves: Elve
Hardware Acceleration: ON/OFF ?

Reproducibility: _5/5 since it started

Quest title: n/a)

Current situation:
When opening the world map some neighbours at the top end are not being displayed. Started yesterday with the two most recent in the "north" Tonight there are now 7. There is the hexagon coloured area present but no text and no response when the mouse passes over.
World Map Dec 2015 a.jpg

expected situation:
?
__

Reproduction Steps:
Don't understand this bit.

Screenshots of the bug:

DeletedUser

I believe what you're (not) seeing is a vacant city. Cities that have been inactive for 30+ days are removed from the map, and the sector is thereby made available to new immigrants.

It can take a while, and especially so during these first few cycles while the initial waves of lookiloos are still pretty tightly clustered.

DeletedUser815

Hi Saski the Great,

Katwijk is correct. Those empty areas you are seeing is inactive players being deleted. They will be filled up as soon as new players join.

Deleted User - 67582

Thanks, I understand. Mind you there are players from my early world map area that have been inactive since I joined. They haven't disappeared? Miss Pug being one that springs to mind.

Saski

DeletedUser815

@Saski the Great Player city's gets deleted if they are inactive for 30 days (no logging on) unless they are premium sponsered (they bought diamonds) or they have advanced into chapter 3 in the technology tree. The player you mention may be one of the premium sponsored ones.

I understand your frustration with "Misspug"... Not nice to have a city you can only look at and not do Neighborhood Help in :(

Deleted User - 67582

Not really frustrated as there are not that many that can't be visited. Misspug might have bought diamonds, but hadn't advanced very far so probably hadn't got round to that. It'd be odd to buy diamonds and then give up almost immediately....:confused:
The only thing stopping a visit is that the main hall is under reconstruction. Does that mean that although the upgrade should be completed, it won't register as a completion unless that person logs on? :(

DeletedUser

Does that mean that although the upgrade should be completed, it won't register as a completion unless that person logs on? :(
Unfortunately that is correct. The main hall will not be available for giving neighbourly help until that player logs back into the game. :(

DeletedUser

Is there a gaming reason for this?
I am really not sure and am also interested in an answer to this.

To my current knowledge this is the case for all buildings regardless of whether they are being built or upgraded. For residences the production of coins is also prevented within a building after it's construction is complete and will only activate once the player has logged back into the game. How that really benefits anyone is a good question. I've tried arguing about it having something to do with abuse prevention, but that just doesn't make any sense...

DeletedUser

Is there a gaming reason for this?
There's an obvious technical reason for it.
  • Load the full city module only when the owner logs in
  • When a city is visited, only load a stripped down version that allows buff and AW contributions.
  • Updating the status of the city (the Main Hall that's under construction in particular) EVERY time a city was visited, just in case, would significantly increase server load and response times.
  • The other cycle buildings work the same way, an upgraded house, for example, doesn't start accumulating coins until you log on AFTER the upgrade is complete, but we can't buff them anyway, so it's less noticeable.

Deleted User - 67582

Ok, so it is too complicated to add this improvement. Is that also why it's not "possible" to amalgamate all the playing players into a condensed world map, rather than wait to fill the spaces left after removing absent players?

DeletedUser

fill the spaces left after removing absent players?
That's a whole different issue, that's even more complicated.
  • Moving a city is actually an archive, followed by a retrieve. We currently don't even have a archive for premium sponsored cities, nor for cities have have advanced to chapter IV. They'll stay on the map, forever, even though they are inactive. Right now it's all or nothing.
  • What do you do about the nine unique city/relic combinations. Do you carefully look for 1/9th of the vacant slots, so that the relics will still match up?
  • What do you do about established trading partners, whom you have gone out of your way to discover? Do they come along too, or will all of your work be wasted because your partner's city has suddenly been replaced by some guy with one workshop and a bicycle?
That said, I agree with you. If you want tons of gory details, take a look in the US forum at https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/nine-near-neighbors.1248/