• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Communication World Chat

Would you be in favour of a world chat?

• yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • no

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • don't care

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

[Summary]
Introduce world chat.
[Details] -
Another chat tab similar to the current one for fellowship chat. Also I think it would be good if the chat box(s) could be resized and moved around to suit your play style
[Reasons for implementing]
This would give you more people to talk to, especially for people like me who are not in the same timezone as all their fellows.
It could also be useful for finding suitable players to join your fellowship.
It would add interest and fun to gameplay
More and better communication is always good

[Impact on other game features]
Can't think of any if you're wanting programming implications. Except maybe a (very) small increase in the amount needed to download to play.

DeletedUser

It would definitely be useful for beginners for whom it can be tough to find a fellowship on an already established server. However, I'm guessing it's not available due to the possibility of people trolling, which requires filters and possibly mods reading the chat.

DeletedUser814

Hello VeryWicked,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts on how we can improve Elvenar! In my opinion, I think the implementation of a World Chat alongside the current Fellowship Chat for all players is an excellent idea. This is because it would allow an improved way to communicate with players outside of your fellowship and could act as another potential way of recruiting other players to join your fellowship.

However, it is important to recognise that this will require extra work on behalf of the Support Team because at the moment, the Fellowship Chat in the majority is monitored and dealt by those in the Leadership Team of a fellowship. So, what are the thoughts of the community? Would you like to see a Global Chat implemented? :)

DeletedUser248

I like the idea, but I will have to agree with Katwijk on this one! Maybe even making the mail blocks extend over to world chat so there are not individual blocks for each feature.

- Lane

DeletedUser

However, it is important to recognise that this will require extra work on behalf of the Support Team because at the moment, the Fellowship Chat in the majority is monitored and dealt by those in the Leadership Team of a fellowship.
In other words: A global chat requires GMs monitoring the chat whereas currently the fellowship chat is only monitored by the Archmage/Mages of the respective fellowship? That's interesting...

I currently do not see the need for this feature personally, but it could benefit players seeking advice, fellowships, or just wanting to chat.

DeletedUser248

In other words: A global chat requires GMs monitoring the chat whereas currently the fellowship chat is only monitored by the Archmage/Mages of the respective fellowship? That's interesting...

I currently do not see the need for this feature personally, but it could benefit players seeking advice, fellowships, or just wanting to chat.

Correct, as with other InnoGames' games the alliances/fellowships are responsible for monitoring their forums/chats and handle things accordingly unless there are in-game rule breaches in which case a GM could get involved. As global chat does not belong to a single alliance, it would require moderation from the GMs.

Talkative people always love more talking functions. :p

DeletedUser815

but it could benefit players seeking advice, fellowships, or just wanting to chat.
@Valerius lol... I doubt there is any shortage of those 3 in your FS :)

But for anyone else seeking answers or advise... there is this forum available, where good advice and answers is regularly found.

DeletedUser277

I think a global chat is an excellent idea and it works well in other games I play, not least other games in the Inno portfolio. I agree that it would require additional GM resource to monitor, so I can see why it is a feature that has not yet emerged whilst the game is getting established. However, I also believe that, were it to be introduced, many sensible ordinary players would assist in the monitoring process also. Those Archmages and Mages who keep order in fellowship chats are hardly likely to stand idly by when the see some that needs addressing in global chat! Yes, ordinary players would not be able to ban anyone from chat (and thank goodness for that!) but 'peer pressure' does count for a lot if it is made clear by others that the behaviour is inappropriate or contrary to the rules.

Thanks for suggesting this VeryWicked +1 :D

DeletedUser814

Hello Valerius,

At this moment in time the relevant fellowship that a player belongs to in the majority deal with any issues that arise. Of course, if there is a need for a member of the Support Team to get involved then we will. As a Global Chat doesn't actually have anyone with the specific rights to monitor it and deal with any issues, then that would be our responsibility. :)

DeletedUser

@Valerius lol... I doubt there is any shortage of those 3 in your FS :)

But for anyone else seeking answers or advise... there is this forum available, where good advice and answers is regularly found.
Why, what possibly could you mean there Avatrix? :eek:

In all seriousness though: My FS hardly uses the chat (maybe two to three messages in total a week) and with the exception of two messages within the past 2 months has never really made use of the mailing system either. Whether a global chat would be such an improvement? It's possible, as there would likely always be people chatting and pretty much a guarantee to receive an answer from someone if you have a question. It is also possible that such would be considerably faster than using the forums as the chat would be live and there are far more users registered to the game than the forum.

Whether this feature may thus have a negative impact on the amount of users registering for the forum would remain to be seen and is purely speculative (and I would doubt it, despite past experiences stating otherwise). There is also the possibility that more players will register for and use the forums due to reading about events or subjects taking place there that may be addressed within a global chat system.

Please don't mistake me for being against this idea: I'm not. I just don't see any particular need of it myself.

P.S.: As for the current monitoring of fellowship chats - I always took it that these need to be monitored by staff for security reasons. It's nice to see I was wrong. :)

DeletedUser

Hello VeryWicked,

However, it is important to recognise that this will require extra work on behalf of the Support Team because at the moment, the Fellowship Chat in the majority is monitored and dealt by those in the Leadership Team of a fellowship......

If there was a "report" button or some similar feature then anything that really upset people would soon come to the attention of the Support Team, so no actual monitoring should be required, only the time necessary to deal with complaints.
Sure, there may be over sensitive people, frivolous complaints, and serial complainers, but hopefully not enough to stretch the Team.

DeletedUser219

Given the non PVP nature of this game, a global chat would not be quite as vicious as otherwise. I probably wouldn't say anything(but I don't say much in Fellowship chat) but I wouldn't be opposed to it

DeletedUser814

If there was a "report" button or some similar feature then anything that really upset people would soon come to the attention of the Support Team, so no actual monitoring should be required, only the time necessary to deal with complaints.
Hello VeryWicked,

It simply wouldn't be possible for the Support Team to only rely upon a report button or a similar feature to deal with any issues that may arise. This is because there should ideally be someone with the relevant authority available to step in at the time and deal with the situation or actually monitoring the chat at the time, in order to be handle any issues that occur instantly before the matter may escalate further. Although I would agree that a report or a similar feature is an important feature to have as it gives players a peace of mind and it would indeed be helpful to us if we are unable to monitor the chat at that specific time. :)

DeletedUser

When mentioning that there is a forum available, it's important to remember that a lot of players do not like to use forums. I do think global chat would be handy mostly for beginners and also just so people can chat if their fellowships are silent, but I do not see it as a vital feature considering the extra moderation hassle involved. I think there are other possibilities one could implement to aid people finding fellowships, such as ingame fellowship pinboards, where people could leave a message stating what kind of fellowship they are looking for and fellowships could do likewise, for instance.

DeletedUser

It simply wouldn't be possible for the Support Team to only rely upon a report button or a similar feature to deal with any issues that may arise. This is because there should ideally be someone with the relevant authority available to step in at the time and deal with the situation or actually monitoring the chat at the time, in order to be handle any issues that occur instantly before the matter may escalate further. .

I find it hard to imagine any situation occurring on chat that would require instant fixing in the manner you describe. Are you able to actually think of one?
There is already in fellowship chat a ban on some words such that the name (not his name)hancock was banned. So unacceptable language is taken care of, to a far greater degree than necessary in my opinion.
I would have thought that the knowledge that anyone who stepped out of line could be reported and would be dealt with by staff if warranted would be enough to satisfy anyone upset by what someone else said. If it isn't, maybe they should not be doing anything that involves live interaction online at all.
Personally, I object to us being treated like children, as in, not able to cope with anything that someone else thinks might be bad. We already get too much of that from the government. Or our parents even

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I find it hard to imagine any situation occurring on chat that would require instant fixing in the manner you describe. Are you able to actually think of one?

Most players on this game seem mature and sensible. However, I have played games where there were a great number of people trolling the chat with pointless profanity and terrible racist, sexist comments and even threats. When people want to act like that, they find a way, irrespective of filters. I've also encountered unpleasant bullying in chats, which can be equally disturbing even if the people doing it are not breaking any actual rules, and in some games it's the mods themselves doing it, as well as people making use of information they get from global chats to engage in harassment of various kinds. So in a nutshell, that type of thing does need some degree of real time regulation, especially when the chats are accessible to minors, though I do believe that in this particular game there is a very low "threat" of people acting badly, at least if the player base continues to consist of the type of people currently active in the game. Nonetheless, the possibility needs to be covered. The reason for the type of filtering and monitoring is less to do with controlling people and treating them like children, than the fact that children have access to the games and not monitoring the chats can cause legal complications.

DeletedUser814

Unfortunately, with a Global Chat feature there is always the possibility that bullying, racism, sexism, profanity and threats amongst other behaviour that violates our Game Rules could take place. In such instances, immediate action may be necessary to reprimand a player or a group of players in order to maintain an enjoyable playing environment. Such immediate action that may be need to be taken could be the need to impose a temporary ban or even a permanent ban depending on the seriousness of what has taken place. o_O

Personally, I object to us being treated like children, as in, not able to cope with anything that someone else thinks might be bad. We already get too much of that from the government. Or our parents even.
I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you to remain on topic, as this thread is here to allow us to give us our thoughts as to whether or not we would like a Global Chat implementing. This is not a discussion about yourself and others getting treated as children. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. :)

I've also encountered unpleasant bullying in chats, which can be equally disturbing even if the people doing it are not breaking any actual rules, and in some games it's the mods themselves doing it, as well as people making use of information they get from global chats to engage in harassment of various kinds.

I'm particularly upset to hear that in your experience with other games that there have been those in a position of trust engaging in bullying. I would personally advise you to report the relevant Moderator(s) who are doing this through the report system in the game(s) that this is happening. :(

Deleted User - 13667

I would say the world chat is a great idea but having tried a variety of MMO-games, this chat is going to be hard to control and restrict. An example would be the language used, the control of it and the possibility of players abusing the chat by hurling insults at others. If these 2 aspects can be controlled somehow, i would say it is +1 to implement.

What I do hope to be considered to be made available is to have chats with players other than the fellowship. It may not have to be a group, a one to one seems good. The current in-game mail is not exactly a good choice for instant discussions

While it is notable that most of the players do seem mature, it could also be due to the hard work and effort put in by the moderators in keeping a close watch. Just imagine, if there is no law to forbid killing, the chances of violent murders are going to be a common sight. Same principle may be applied here. Without some solid ground rules to control, there will always the devil within that will spring out onto the keyboard. :D

Often great ideals get abused and end up as a way to destroy what it was meant to protect.

DeletedUser

There's also a forum/chat dynamic that's nicely illustrated at http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/warriorshtm/howlers.htm.
Sometimes it's not YOU at all, but rather than you're dredging up a subject that's already been beaten to death.

Howlers generally populate academic, technical or
special interest forums. Newbies to such forums often
wander in thinking they have found some devastating
new argument or special insight on the forum topic
of interest, but unless the forum has been recently formed
an active discussion group will probably have heard and
debated the argument at length.

So instead of being welcomed into the bosom of the group
the newcomer is forced to flee under a shower of invective.
howlers.jpg