• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered What makes this a game for women?

DeletedUser3279

I followed the link to this game because I kept seeing links for it in the scientific publications I read. It kept saying it was a game for women. I had been looking for a new game to play, so at the end of January I started playing Elvenar.

What makes you think this game is designed for women? To my mind, the basic requirement is that it avoid the usual male mentality of "build an army and kill everything you see." The beginning stages required you to build a military force. I did that at first, but then realized that was not why I chose to play this game. The main consequence of avoiding military conflict is that I have to buy off all the encounters in provinces. The main benefit of using a military force in those encounters is that, if you get good at picking and using your troops, then you can finish each encounter for a cheaper resource cost than by buying them off. This encourages the player to hone and develop her military skills. I did not want to do this. At best, it bores me and I thought this game would provide some alternative. I'm just about to pass the 10,000 point mark in the player rankings. I have not seen any real alternative. I've bought off all my encounters. There is no skill in doing this, and there is no means for me to reduce the economic price for this non-military solution.

There are just two reasons why I kept playing all this time.

First, the artwork is fantastic. I even took a screen shot of one picture in particular and am painting it in oil, for fun.

Second, I kept waiting for something aimed at women to pop up. I haven't seen it. All this recently came back to my mind because you just took down that very offensive picture of the blue elf in the skimpy outfit with the vacuous look on her face and an airbrushed super model's body and replaced it with a blue elf with a body that is somewhat more modestly dressed and a body that is not airbrushed "perfection". So this reminded me how there is nothing particularly "for women" about this game.

Coincidentally, I finally came upon two quests where the solution is to build troops and wage a battle and the option to decline this quest is not there. This reminded me that I was able to un-build the armory and free up real estate (a very precious commodity in this game) but I was not able to un-build the barracks. I have put it in a corner of my territory with no road connection, but it's still forced upon me and I can't use that real estate for my own purposes.

I admit, I'm as vulnerable to click bait as the next person and, despite the artwork, it seems like this is all just click bait. The artwork is fantastic. The story line is near non-existent, and the one or two stories I do recall (something about the ogre actor building a bridge for a love scene in a play) are nothing interesting and were not central to the plot. Is there a plot? I don't think so.

I may have to bite the bullet and delete this. The artwork is fun, but when I play games I like to enjoy the story and develop some sort of gaming skills.

Hitting Post Anyways,

SIV

KermitsDad

Alchemist
Please be assured that it's not only women that like games without combat.

I came to Elvenar because it is sold as a fantasy city builder game but as the weeks have passed the majority of the game "updates" (IMO downgrades) have centered on adding more fighting units, adjusting the capabilities of fighting units and changing tournaments etc.
Very little or nothing has been done to improve the city building aspects of the game.

I too totally dislike the combat of this game as for me it is both boring and extremely tedious.
Furthermore it has only got worse and more confusing as additional unit types have been added.
Have they not heard of the KISS design principle?

The saddest thing here however is that no matter what is said by players the designers think that they know best and just carry on doing what they want to do. They seem not to care about the consequences, players leaving etc.

Very sad indeed.

DeletedUser3278

I also started playing this game for the artwork, really enjoyed it at first, but no-one said that when the army they give you is gone that's it, I'm not in a position to continually buy diamonds to replace them not that I enjoy the battles anyway, but negotiating your way around is also expensive. I have restarted several times to try and rectify the mistakes previously made but in the end always end up in the same position. As as woman I don't really know what I was expecting but what I got is not really it.

I don't think it was very well thought out. Will persist for a few more days but will probably end up giving up.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.

DeletedUser3097

as the weeks have passed the majority of the game "updates" (IMO downgrades) have centered on adding more fighting units, adjusting the capabilities of fighting units and changing tournaments etc.

I don't know if you've had an opportunity to watch the last Q & A video, but we were told that all the developments being made to the battle system are now complete and the development team are moving into other areas. It was also noted that not all players enjoy combat aspects of games (myself included) and in future the intention was to work on aspects which the majority of players would prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2863

... but no-one said that when the army they give you is gone that's it, I'm not in a position to continually buy diamonds to replace them ...
You build the barracks, a training ground and later the mercenary camp where you can train troops using supplies as payment. No diamonds required.

DeletedUser3366

@"What makes this a game for women?"
I think it is the aspect of cooperation. To get far into this game it is necessary to organize and coordineate the boosted productions in all 3 tiers. That means a LOT of searching and talking in order to sucsessfully form a trio of people that have complementary boosts in all 3 tiers, And
are nice to spend time with.

Last edited by a moderator: