• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Discussion What keeps YOU playing Elvenar

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Popping this question here, as we have had a lively thread running for a while on this very subject on Discord.

Replies have been very diverse from artwork, people, puzzles and all sorts of life choices making it up.

I will go first....to maybe start the ball rolling.

I love the artwork, the fabulous animations that make up each building, that tell a story beyond perhaps its function/s. To give a broader example of one of my favourite buildings: The Phoenix Anatomist, the egg shaped buildings and a fantastic blue Phoenix flapping their wings and overshadowing the whole building. The four scholars are there taking notes, as they watch the Phoenixes teachings as it perches atop a golden capped egg. This building gives daily Supplies and some Culture, but for me I would not really be bothered it it just sat and looked pretty as I love this animation....
1715196566693.png

Just one example of a cool Elvenar building that brightens my day.
How about you?​

Pauly7

Master of the Elements
After 7 years, I keep asking myself that question. I used to say that it was all about the fellowship, the team, the friends. But then I decided to quit playing the game 18 months ago. I walked away from the FS, from any competitive element of the game... from the forum...

But somehow I didn't quit and it is hard to know why. I kept on logging in. But I did so without any responsibility or agenda. I completely razed my city to the ground and I just built something that I found attractive and interesting with no other thoughts in my mind. It took me weeks or months to build my city back up. I just logged in for a bit each day and had a little "tinker" with it. I think, by this point, Elvenar had become my little therapeutic sanctuary, where I spent a little while each day to unwind.

Up to now I still have that same city. Entirely non-functional in its design, but it is surprisingly resourcefull and powerful. When you build every single evolving building that the game has to offer, many of them seem underwhelming in isolation, but put them all together and I believe they output more of what you need than having rows of residences and manufactories.

But I digress...

The end of the story many people here will already know. After the changes in the AW upgrade costs I realised that I would need to play with friends again. If I didn't then I would have literally nothing to do for months at a time, and then I would surely quit. So now I am shacked up with @SkyRider99 and @Hekata et al, and enjoying the team play again, this time much more relaxed than the old days.

The summary is, definitely the reason I decided to keep playing was that I treated the game like a city building and design game. Nothing more. And for me, that gave more longevity, in the end, than all the other accoutrements.

SkyRider99

Immortal
The summary is, definitely the reason I decided to keep playing was that I treated the game like a city building and design game.
That is what initially attracted me to Elvenar, and it has kept me engaged over the years. But I have also been entertained with the tournaments and the Spire, mainly due to the prizes and rewards, although the costs are demotivating sometimes. The FS interactions from Spire and tournament are an added layer of enjoyment.

Finally, it is the existence of a reasonable and well-moderated forum that keeps me playing. The information, tips, and the facility to be able to provide both positive and negative feedback to the game designers and devs is a big reason for finding new and better ways to have fun. After all, if it's not fun why bother.

:cool:

Jake65

Sage
I started playing thanks to Google missing the brief when I was searching for an Age of Empires equivalent.
It's definitely the people that keep me playing though, both in our fellowship and the forum.
And my Witty Raccoon. Whoever drew and animated him had a good day at the office :)

Maverick.jpg

Pauly7

Master of the Elements
I started playing thanks to Google missing the brief when I was searching for an Age of Empires equivalent.
I miss the old Ages of Empires... Back when a game could just be a game without being online and littered with micro-transactions. I wonder if I can still get hold of it. I loved the simplicity of starting with a couple of peasants mining gold and going "ready to serve" with some sort of West Country accent. Then you had to build everything up as quickly as possible, knowing that the baddies are also building an army and are planning to attack.

The other example is Sim City 3000. Amazing game still and I am playing it again now. And the new Sim City game? You have to play it on your phone, and wait 12 hours for a building to build... unless you pay to speed it up. I am not having a dig at Elvenar. Different type of game. Sim City should not exist in that way.

Sorry. Big digression.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
I mean... come on... it's beautiful things like this that keep me Playing! I can almost HEAR the Bees!!

But aside from the awesome artwork and obvious time it takes to create something like that, the thing that mostly keeps me here is the escape from chaos into my little haven.

It's peaceful, it's patient, and it's pleasing! I can tinker away without a care in the world, and I get to speak to people from all over the globe that are like minded and just as passionate about it as I am!

Then of course I have you lot keeping me on my toes and keeping me entertained. Not to mention the other Moderators.

It's a little home from home!

It's very difficult to walk away from something that has been part of my day for almost 4yrs now. So until I am removed by force, I will remain!! :D

Hive.png

OldHag

Necromancer
I like the slow, peaceful pace of the game. I like not having to fight off intruders, such as I used to have to do in Grepolis, it was fun at the time, but I don't have the energy now to be stealing the lands and killing the armies off of my fellow gamers.....lol :)
Peace everyone. :)

kimkimkim

Summoner
I came to Elvenar 8 years ago after another long time favorite, Farmville, went under.......was just looking for a simple building game which I found here, but I also found some amazing friends within my fellowship and here in the forums.......this place is my home away from home where I do not have to deal with soooooo much stress.....so thank you Elvenar, I think I will keep going with you until my fingers fall off :eek:

PippinJnr

Dreamer
I enjoy the complexity and having to balance resource getting and resource spending - the game is well designed so that you never quite have enough ! This is where I find the forum invaluable for tips and strategy guidance.
This is the most grownup game I’ve played- I don’t want to play ‘kill and crash’ games.
I also enjoy rearranging my little worlds to maximise space but keep them organised. However the best bit and what keeps me staying, is the commitment to my fellowship (I have 5) and not wanting to let them down.
On the negative side, it’s been a long time waiting for chapter 22!

Fabulous Miz

Dreamer
As a long time guest lurker, now seems like a good time to finally register an account to say thanks for those that post here. All the advice and guidance helped increase my enjoyment and progression. A city building game with great graphics and challenging space management. Playing at my pace, not chasing an edge state of approach, I still find it interesting many years in. As I approach the end of current quest line, with it’s under scouted blocks and massive mana sink, I hope chapter 22 is not far away. Boredom would be a sad end to this journey. Anyway, now I’ve posted once I might do again.

Killiak

Artisan
I only log in for the Spire / Tournament, to keep supporting the FS. Nothing else.

Inno just keeps mucking around, then acts like they did something great when they slightly tone down the massive and very ill-received changes. Lost my interest something fierce, especially with the continuous monetization attempts.

Fabulous Miz

Dreamer
I’m at quest 69 in chapter 21. With the exception of the four quests needing specific upgraded manus, it is generating mana at greater than 1 million a day that slows chapter completion. Maybe I was lucky, but I strolled through the recent changes and arguably was better off. My SF stockpile is drifting down, but only slowly. Probably I don’t push tourney hard enough to notice the AW impact on RR or CC. This is my reality, it doesn’t make that of others wrong just different. I know I’m towards end game mechanics, and moving the deck chairs about a half empty city is only going to be fun for a while. Where is chapter 22?