• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered What is this Alkatine sending odd messages?

• Thread starter DeletedUser2734
  • Start date

DeletedUser2734

I, and nearly all in my FS, have been receiving these odd messages,
untitled and with nothing else but a number as their text.

sent by Alkatine

This is supposed to be a player with no FS & just 19 points ...

Sorry if I post in the wrong place, but I've no idea where I should have posted this!

May it please be checked?

Thanks in advance!
:)

DeletedUser

There were 'dead accounts' sending spam for a game called 'Age of Space' a while back. They had us just hitting the report button on these messages. You and your fellowship may want to report these messages as well and see if the support people can figure out what is going on.

DeletedUser3097

I got one too on my player account- very odd indeed. :eek: What was your number? Mine was -378..

There were 'dead accounts' sending spam for a game called 'Age of Space' a while back. They had us just hitting the report button on these messages. You and your fellowship may want to report these messages as well and see if the support people can figure out what is going on.

Thanks for your answer, Arjavh. :cool:

DeletedUser2734

OK
Even though it/he has sent messages with a number to most,
one got the real message which was with a link advertising for some game,
and which of course was reported immediately.

I believe the number-messages were sent later than that ...

Actually, I have tried to report the number-message I got, but for some strange reason I couldn't ...

DeletedUser2734

OK,
on 2nd try
I was able to report it
... odd thing that I couldn't tell what to report it for, though!
LOL

DeletedUser2734

Yes, I have done so, indeed!

And, likewise, I didn't think much of it when it happened, but then the whole FS started getting these number-messages,
and started questioning, so I felt it a good idea to bring it here!

Glad to know that there's nothing more to it than just that, though!
:)

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
Isn't there a way to limit the number of out-FS messages that someone can send per day ?
That would slow down the spammers and I think even a starting FS do not need to send 100 messages a day for "honnest" recruiting purpose...
Except limiting the messages a single account is able to send during some time, there is no way to block someone creating a fake account for spamming purpose... forged mail, registration, done : 2min (plus 5 min for the tuto ?)

DeletedUser3034

An IP ban would go a ways towards stooping it. Yes there are ways around that, but not so fast and easy.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
An IP ban would go a ways towards stooping it. Yes there are ways around that, but not so fast and easy.
IP ban is pointless... nowadays, mostly all providers give you temporary IPs that are renewed about once a day... ;)
You only get fixed IP if you ask it, for hosting a site home by example...

DeletedUser3034

Research indicates you are right, when did they change that? Used to be static Ip was the norm, and you needed to either request a change or not use your service for a period of time to get a dif IP.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
As far as I know, it's the rule in Beligium for more than 10-15 years and for all the providers I checked...
It's the default behavior for a DHCP server (the service that gives the IPs)
I heard about static IPs about France but I thought THEY were the exception lol and I think not all their providers are using this strategy.
It's an economic strategy, the IPs are payed to the IANA, so if your ISP knows only half his clients will be connected at rush hours, he only need to buy half the IPs (plus a little more for growing purpose)...

Last edited:

DeletedUser3034

Back along, when the interweb was a new thing, static was the norm, but I see where as the number of users increases, dynamic becomes needed. Guess I need to remember I'm not on dialup with my trusty USR Courier :)

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
yes, it's strange to think the TCP/IP protocols only appreared in 1983 and that I marveled face to my "big" first 1K ram computer not so long ago, recording my programs on tapes (I started after the punched cards)...

We saw the first steps of baby ARPAnet that was born from the army (usaf) and grew to some usefull thing... Now we are finally able to share our pets pictures at no cost with the whole world... that doesn't care. :p:rolleyes:

Last edited:

DeletedUser3034

lol.... remember those days, writing code on green bar, submitting it to be punched, and waiting on my slice of time share. Now, time share has a dif meaning :D