• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Unfair advertising via misleading omissions and imposed limitation of time

BuilderViktor

Adventurer
Fair one Rilian, but it might be worth telling them that they should talk to people, or at least read feedback.

I work for a software company too, so I know how hard it is, to get devs and sales people to listen to any ideas but their own, and devs to talk to people at all, but it is worth doing.
Yes, I agreed at first, but please seem my reply to Rilian re; unsubstantiated claims.

BuilderViktor

Adventurer
YHomq8k.png

What does that big golden badge with "20%" written on it mean? 20% off one would assume... but 20% off of what exactly? Has there ever been a set price for time boosts? See, the %s off in diamond purchases are legit, because diamonds have a fixed price and they're always available for purchase - time boosts on the other hand are not - and to make something a "sale" (as in a discount), you have to have it available regularly in the first place, with a fixed price. Clearly this is not the case. And don't get me started with the whole time-pressure thing, just look at the wording for God's sake, "I'm really in a rush!" - sic!
So the way I see it, it's an deceptive tactic to make this "sale" more appealing by misleading the customers into thinking they're getting a discount over something that by definition can't have a discount because it's not normally available and doesn't have a fixed price. I dare say it looks illegal.
Moreover, I wonder why this "discount" only appears in the browser version of the game and not in the app. Perhaps it's because the Apple and Google stores have rules in place to prevent these sort of things, whereas it's felt there's more leeway in the browser version? That'd be ironic because it'd mean that InnoGames GmbH, based in Germany, cares more about whatever rules Apple and Google have for their online stores than for the European Directive 2005/29/EC.
"We show fair behavior to our players", Inno's website boasts as a "core value"... and again, "Simplicity: keep things simple and straightforward". This doesn't strike me as fair nor as straightforward. As a matter of fact I'm more than a bit perplexed.

@Muf-Muf?
Perhaps, just perhaps they "the sales & marketing" people just overlooked a "+" or "-" sign? The Diamonds sales do have, at least now, a "+" sign. But I am unsure if they always have.

BuilderViktor

Adventurer
YHomq8k.png

What does that big golden badge with "20%" written on it mean? 20% off one would assume... but 20% off of what exactly? Has there ever been a set price for time boosts? See, the %s off in diamond purchases are legit, because diamonds have a fixed price and they're always available for purchase - time boosts on the other hand are not - and to make something a "sale" (as in a discount), you have to have it available regularly in the first place, with a fixed price. Clearly this is not the case. And don't get me started with the whole time-pressure thing, just look at the wording for God's sake, "I'm really in a rush!" - sic!
So the way I see it, it's an deceptive tactic to make this "sale" more appealing by misleading the customers into thinking they're getting a discount over something that by definition can't have a discount because it's not normally available and doesn't have a fixed price. I dare say it looks illegal.
Moreover, I wonder why this "discount" only appears in the browser version of the game and not in the app. Perhaps it's because the Apple and Google stores have rules in place to prevent these sort of things, whereas it's felt there's more leeway in the browser version? That'd be ironic because it'd mean that InnoGames GmbH, based in Germany, cares more about whatever rules Apple and Google have for their online stores than for the European Directive 2005/29/EC.
"We show fair behavior to our players", Inno's website boasts as a "core value"... and again, "Simplicity: keep things simple and straightforward". This doesn't strike me as fair nor as straightforward. As a matter of fact I'm more than a bit perplexed.

@Muf-Muf?
Why does Jim Sterling have his quotes in big black boxes? How does he do it? Is He allowed? If so can I do the same? Finally, how do I do it?

DeletedUser8632

We are getting a bit over-the-top here, I believe.
Rilian - you need to quote provable facts, indeed so does the source that you quote. Blatantly quoting someone else is rumour-mongering.
Tesla333 - Did you really quit your job? You mean you just gave up, do you not? Why did you not remain and help try to fix whatever the problem you alegedly "gave up your job" for - you have no proof to provide here that you really did give up your job. The job of selling an item, I would have thought is the work description of the people in advertising. Customers, I believe are notoriously cautious when trying/buying a new or renovated product. I'm 80-years-"young" and probably a bit overly cautious but I have never just sat back and given up. If you do not like something, you do not buy into it.

Since @Rilian is one of the Senior Game Moderators working for Inno I'm fairly sure he knows what he is talking about. Asking a mod for verifiable sources is... how do I put it nicely?... beyond stupid.

As for the rest: All I can do is write it down, I can't comprehend it for you.