• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

The Right-of-Way, and Overbuildable Road

Sir Derf

Adept
Here's the scenario...

Got a Quest with an optional "Upgrade a Building" component. I went 'D'oh!', because I had just upgraded all the Armories in my city a day or two ago. But, I remembered I had some additional Armories in my Inventory that had not been upgraded. So I teleported out a current Armory (5x5) and rearranged to fit an older Armory (4x7). And I was faced with a problem... to connect the Armory, I brought in a temporary road against the 7 side, but to upgrade the Armory, the new footprint was going to sit on top of that temporary road.

Now, I was eventually able to rearrange my city enough that there was a 5x7 space for the old and new building to fit in, but before that, it left me with a thought.

Currently, we can build updated roads on top of earlier roads, but we can't place a building, new, upgraded or retrieved, on top of a road, not even the lowly footpath.

So, I propose the creation of a temporary road type which will allow a building to be placed on top of. The Right-of-Way. As its purpose is for it to be an overbuildable road, I don't see that it would need to have a warning before placing a building on top of it. I don't think that the program should simply auto-place on top of the Right-of-Way when the footprint changes; it should be a voluntary act.

Maybe the road should also have a self-destruct timeout... leave it in place too long without overbuilding and it will disappear.

m4rt1n

Adept
Nice idea, but I enjoy the complexity of this scenario to be honest, gets my brain into gear. :)

SkyRider99

Mentor
Ingenious @Sir Derf. I wonder how full the devs' too-hard-basket is at the moment?

1681691287965.png

Jake65

Sage
As an alternative, what about an "upgrade when placed" option when bringing a building out of inventory?
So it would return in it's new shape with the upgrade in progress.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
Or the option to be able to access the upgrade menu of a building that themporarily does not have a road connection, to be able to start the upgrade and then have it connect to a road again. I get that the production menu for buildings that don't have a road connection can't be accessed, but why aren't we allowed to access the upgrade menu?

Lymhir

Spellcaster
Or the option to be able to access the upgrade menu of a building that themporarily does not have a road connection, to be able to start the upgrade and then have it connect to a road again. I get that the production menu for buildings that don't have a road connection can't be accessed, but why aren't we allowed to access the upgrade menu?
Enhancement is also a resource-intensive activity like production, so it makes sense :)

Lymhir

Spellcaster
So, I propose the creation of a temporary road type which will allow a building to be placed on top of. The Right-of-Way. As its purpose is for it to be an overbuildable road, I don't see that it would need to have a warning before placing a building on top of it. I don't think that the program should simply auto-place on top of the Right-of-Way when the footprint changes; it should be a voluntary act.
Do you know what the simplest and most straightforward solution to your problem is?
Keep some free space as most players do, to use at any time. It simplifies a lot of operations and not just upgrading buildings. It makes no sense to complicate the roads.

Sir Derf

Adept
Yes, it is.

Now, I was eventually able to rearrange my city enough that there was a 5x7 space for the old and new building to fit in, but before that, it left me with a thought

You say 'complicate', I say 'more options would allow for more routes to the same end'.

Sir Derf

Adept
Buildings that Produce resources need a road connection.
Building Upgrades use resources, so it can make some sense that it could require a road.

Lymhir

Spellcaster
Yes, it is.

You say 'complicate', I say 'more options would allow for more routes to the same end'.
More options also means more difficulty in general, and having more options is not always a good thing.