• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

The Last Tournament

Pauly7

Magus
So it struck me when playing in the recent scrolls tournament that the fighting had got much harder. Not just a little bit - a lot.

I should point out before I go any further that I only auto-fight. I know that this is apparently less effective, but I'm not going to dedicate my time to all these manual fights.

I wondered if this was just me... Was it a product of my "over-exploring"? Was it due to a recent squad size upgrade? However, from discussing it with my fellowship they have all found exactly the same thing. Then, I noticed a couple of people on the forum saying that the combat was much harder.

My question is, has a change in version 1.39 made tournament combat much harder, or was this just a coincidence that this scrolls tournament just happened to be hard (maybe I had the wrong profile of troops, etc)?

My tournaments usually play out something like this - Let's say I am doing 10 tournament provinces. What I will do is build up 20-30 squads (my squad size is 414) of the relevant types. This will usually allow me to auto-fight through the first three rounds (whilst perhaps catering a small handful), whilst obviously continuing to build extra troops as I go. I will then expect to cater more and more in the last three rounds and by the last round I am maybe only fighting through the first three or four provinces and then catering from there.

So to put this into perspective, when the scrolls tournament started out I found myself able to win those auto-fights in well under half of the round ONE encounters. By the time I reached round 2 there were several occasions where a) I had a much larger squad size than the enemy and b) I could pick troops that were effective against all of theirs with no weaknesses against theirs. This is usually an absolute no-brainer win, but I was in round 2 and losing some of them. By the time I reached round 4 then my troops were pretty much altogether useless.

Is something wrong here, or is this what I can expect from now on?

DeletedUser1829

From my experience it relates more to scroll tournaments themselves. I tend to find that the provinces with the key unit of light melee are more difficult than some of the others. Other than that I found the combat the same as normal.

m4rt1n

Adept
I found the autofight more difficult for the scrolls tourney, but then again I have just done two squad size tech's which could explain it.
I usually do the first 8 provences to level 6 and then the next 2 to about level 3 or 4 then the next 8 - 10 to level 2 for the 5kp each.
It will usually give me a top 20 in the ranking points.
Round one I can usually auto fight to about provence 18, then round 2,3 and 4 to provence 8 then selected battles, negotiating the others.

Pauly7

Magus
If it is just scrolls then I can live with that. It still seemed a little odd to me though.
I tend to find that the provinces with the key unit of light melee are more difficult than some of the others.
The ones I mentioned where all my troops should have been effective against all of theirs did seem to be when what was required was 5 light melee units.

If it won't be so bad in future tournaments then I probably made the right decision by stopping the combat and saving what was left of my army in the last couple of rounds.

DeletedUser4115

On the whole my FS also found the scrolls tournament more difficult. In the previous crystal tournament we had several players scoring over 1000 points, for the scrolls our higher scoring player struggled to get above 800 points despite being quite motivated. I seemed to reach a point where I could not win by auto-fighting and had to switch to manual.

DeletedUser441

I did think that it was more difficult to win battles in the scrolls tournament this time. I also only auto fight as my computer can't cope with fighting manually. I thought that they'd improved the mix of troops , making it far harder to win.

DeletedUser3032

It will get harder. It's 8week between each one. Everyone is progressing in the game but unlikely upgrading correct buildings and wonders enough to keep up in that time.

DeletedUser441

Lol ! :) All I seem to be doing is upgrading AWs. Including the "right ones". There's also the question of new players constantly coming into the game , so the tournaments should not be getting progressively harder. Unless everyones game is catered to specifically and the further along you are then the harder the opposition / greater the cost. There's a good question. Is the tournament the same for everyone ? Wouldn't it be unfair if it wasn't ? Logic states that the tournaments are the same for everyone , so , again I say , they shouldn't be getting harder. I do think that the mix of enemy troops was improved in the scrolls tournament , making it more of a challenge.
The more advanced players can do more provinces in tournaments aswell as more rounds as they have stronger troops in greater numbers and more goods to cater. So it would definitely be wrong if each successive tournament for any particular good became progressively harder. New players wouldn't have a hope of competing at all.

m4rt1n

Adept
The tournament fights/catering costs are linked to your level in the game, your squad size and other parameters. We have chapter 2 players in the fellowship who can get all 6 fights with only 4 or 5 tourney provinces unlocked.

DeletedUser3032

Lol ! :) All I seem to be doing is upgrading AWs. Including the "right ones". There's also the question of new players constantly coming into the game , so the tournaments should not be getting progressively harder. Unless everyones game is catered to specifically and the further along you are then the harder the opposition / greater the cost. There's a good question. Is the tournament the same for everyone ? Wouldn't it be unfair if it wasn't ? Logic states that the tournaments are the same for everyone , so , again I say , they shouldn't be getting harder. I do think that the mix of enemy troops was improved in the scrolls tournament , making it more of a challenge.
The more advanced players can do more provinces in tournaments aswell as more rounds as they have stronger troops in greater numbers and more goods to cater. So it would definitely be wrong if each successive tournament for any particular good became progressively harder. New players wouldn't have a hope of competing at all.

If you look at some fellowships you will see they accept any level of player. Take a look at their members. 2 or 3 high ranking and the rest are low levels. The 2 or 3 can help the others out with goods to do the tournaments. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to get the 10th chest. The 2 or 3 high ranking players ONLY have to do 1 province and they will get the 10th chest for next to nothing. But some will do a fair amount anyways. FREE blueprint for the magic residents WAHOO the person says. ;) Beating the system.

m4rt1n

Adept
If you look at some fellowships you will see they accept any level of player. Take a look at their members. 2 or 3 high ranking and the rest are low levels. The 2 or 3 can help the others out with goods to do the tournaments. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to get the 10th chest. The 2 or 3 high ranking players ONLY have to do 1 province and they will get the 10th chest for next to nothing. But some will do a fair amount anyways. FREE blueprint for the magic residents WAHOO the person says. ;) Beating the system.

I don't know anyone who got the blueprint, do you?.

Our fellowship just make chest 4 each week with 2/3 participation.

I know very active fellowships who only get to chest 7 or 8.

Stats from inno on how many fellowships get the blueprint would be nice and if it is as many as you suggest @king0r I would be very surprised. :)

DeletedUser1829

There are definitely fellowships out there getting blueprints. They just focus and work together as a team to get it.

DeletedUser2838

There's also the question of new players constantly coming into the game , so the tournaments should not be getting progressively harder. Unless everyones game is catered to specifically and the further along you are then the harder the opposition / greater the cost.

Everyone seems to be catered for by their level, and not in a good way. In my experience increasing your squadsize is essentially a pointless exercise. If you have a 500 unit facing a 100 enemy unit it might take out 150 of yours. If your squad size doubles then under the same conditions their 100 unit now takes out 300 of yours. Which brings me to two more of my gripes. My units usually struggle to take out their own size from the enemy, yet the enemy units regularly take out 2, 3 or sometimes even 4 times their strength from my units. And secondly the enemy has tactics, their units attack the units of mine for which they are most effective. My units, on the other hand, when specifically selected as being effective to fight specific enemy units spend their time avoiding the enemy. The vast majority of my units attack anything other than those units they are best against and will only deal with them at the end if it's only those units left - of course my units often don't last to the end because of their terrible tactics

DeletedUser3032

Stats from inno on how many fellowships get the blueprint would be nice and if it is as many as you suggest @king0r I would be very surprised. :)

Loads of them mate. I've seen people boast about it on facebook and I've seen FS put in their overviews 10 out of 10 chests. Guess what. In the one I looked at last, 10 of their members had less than 90k points between them, and only top 2 had 100k+. 10 lowest players get fed the resources from the bigger players to smash the tournaments, so they benefit from getting blueprints for next to nothing in most cases.

DeletedUser1829

Loads of them mate. I've seen people boast about it on facebook and I've seen FS put in their overviews 10 out of 10 chests. Guess what. In the one I looked at last, 10 of their members had less than 90k points between them, and only top 2 had 100k+. 10 lowest players get fed the resources from the bigger players to smash the tournaments, so they benefit from getting blueprints for next to nothing in most cases.

While some fellowships feed a large number of lower players not all do this. There are plenty of fellowships who work there butts off to earn them and deserve a little respect for that effort or at least be not lumped in with the others.

Lelanya

Mentor

I get blueprints m4rt1n. Every week for 24 in a row and I know what it takes. 25 active players all willing to do approx 1500 per tourney

m4rt1n

Adept
I get blueprints m4rt1n. Every week for 24 in a row and I know what it takes. 25 active players all willing to do approx 1500 per tourney

Good to know, I guess we need a few more active fellows as several of us get over 1500 every tourney and I average close to 3000 every week.

Lelanya

Mentor
Good to know, I guess we need a few more active fellows as several of us get over 1500 every tourney and I average close to 3000 every week.
My FS was started from scratch with the premise we all get at least 1000 points per tourney. We ask that folks visit and participate in FA, trade freely and fairly and be respectful to all. But we require all be active and committed. I have 3 or 4 retired AMs and a further 4 to 6 natural leaders. We often finish 10 in round 5 and end up 6k over on points