• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

New Game Features Replace unpopular FA with something better.

Bear with me here. In Felyndral, only two Fs' take FA seriously, and play to win. Most others seem to have a very casual approach. This means that if you want to win, most times you need 200k+, with 3rd place having 80k+ or so. This seems to me, and some of my FS mates, that FA just isn't popular. If it was, there would be more competition at the top. The most popular opinion I've heard is that FA is a huge waste of time and resources with poor prizes, but the game needs a big team event, so most players have a half-hearted stab at it. No doubt, some players like FA, but as I say in Felyndral, we think that's only two Fs-worth of players.

From discussions, some with knowledge of FoE gush enthusiastically about the inter-guild battleground, and believe it would be more popular in Elvenar than FA. Given that the framework exists, it should be relatively straightforward to port the code to Elvenar, given that the games are basically the same. If there was the appetite for development, we think that combining FA and GB could be excellent, we were thinking along the lines of collecting badges to unlock territory to fight over. There should be an activity for every type of player - hunters and gatherers.

Therefore, the suggestion is to replace FA with a different event, to improve gameplay for all.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
There's still a lot of players that enjoy FA just for the mechanics of it, teamwork and social part of it otherwise they wouldn't play it. Not everyone does it just for the competition. Also, I think there's enough fighting/catering in this city building game. I'm always up for new features but sorry I'm strongly against more fighting/catering as it doesn't have a new feature feeling to me and I don't find it very entertaining.

Sir Derf

Adept
Play to win... meaning play to get to the tippy-top of the Leaderboard? And the low number of high-scoring Fellowships has you thinking that FA's aren't popular?

On Felyndral, there are currently 510 Fellowships that have placed at least one badge, there are ho-hum rewards to the top 100, and a ho-hum step-up in rewards to the top 20. I personally have no interest in the FA beyond the three chests. My Fellowship has grown from not caring, to barely finishing, to easily finishing and clearing most maps.

Why should we try harder. There's no real importance or reward.

Why should they give better top rewards? Rather than encouraging increased interest and competition, I would think that it would instead cause more upset and anger, as more Fellowships would be unable to get the better, scarcer rewards.

Giraffi

Enchanter
I beg to differ. My team may not be able to score as high as the two highest scoring teams (and they are truly exceptional) on Felyndral, but we still give it our best shot and we like FAs.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Therefore, the suggestion is to replace FA with a different event, to improve gameplay for all.
Thanks for your idea @Jones the Butcher. Keep 'em coming. :)

I am reminded of the adage, 'Be careful what you wish for.' The current FA activity has actually improved over time, thanks to game mods and devs listening to our suggestions and complaints. It is true, and I agree with you, that the FA is a different beast for those FS who lust after the top rankings.

For my part, I make no secret of the fact that I do not like FAs. But many in my FS do. We are spread across multiple RL time zones, and the FA structure still allows us all to 'have a go'.

And I am just a little paranoid that to ask the game devs to, 'replace FA with a different event', may provide them with a tool to punish and humiliate us in new and wonderful ways. :p