• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Remove gender question in forum profile details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Could we have the part of the forum profile where it asks for gender removed? I know that it’s not mandatory to do it and it’s not a big deal, it just would be great if it was recognised that those things don’t matter unless it’s a dating site. I don’t even understand why it was originally put in as it doesn’t serve any practical purpose, there’s many more important things about us than our gender and there’s not a specific question about them.

It’s not important at all what gender people are in this situation so it would be great if it was removed.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I believe Inno uses these accumulated data about their player base for marketing research.

I don't think the game actually asks for gender so it's only on the forum, I don't fully remember. And again why would it be important for marketing research? We're all human and have brain that works on the same natural principles. And it's not like there's a gender specific building in this game that needs gender specific marketing.

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
I don't think the game actually asks for gender so it's only on the forum, I don't fully remember. And again why would it be important for marketing research? We're all human and have brain that works on the same natural principles. And it's not like there's a gender specific building in this game that needs gender specific marketing.
In this case you´re wrong, in marketing it is important to know what kind of content likes more to certain sex than another, this help them to know what to improve in order to satisfy both genders, it is a marketing quality device

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
In this case you´re wrong, in marketing it is important to know what kind of content likes more to certain sex than another, this help them to know what to improve in order to satisfy both genders, it is a marketing quality device

So what you're saying is that gender is more important than any other personal information that could be more relevant for money making purposes?

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
So what you're saying is that gender is more important than any other personal information that could be more relevant for money making purposes?
No, they have different kind of points of importance, another could be the age, and the place where you´re playing, and they could get even more if they could, but the law is firm that aspect, they can´t get much more personal info of their players, but if they could they would real be happy.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Hi @Silly Bubbles whilst no, this isn't a dating website, and one could argue that Gender is irrelevant. Another could argue that it is, and it is that reason that there is a choice to either a) choose to publicise your gender, or b) abstain from doing this by clicking "No Selection" :)

Kind Regards

Herodite.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
No, they have different kind of points of importance, another could be the age, and the place where you´re playing, and they could get even more if they could, but the law is firm that aspect, they can´t get much more personal info of their players, but if they could they would real be happy.

Does this apply to a discussion forum too? I just wonder what difference it makes in this situation unless someone wants to attach personality traits to a certain gender. I'd half understand the relevance in the game to see spending habits but then if they do gender specific marketing than they attract more of that gender so the gender difference is created by the marketing rather than a natural occurance.
Anyways, as I'm saying it would great if it was recognised there's much more to us than gender. Personally, gender to me is the least relevance. Would it really be that hard to do?

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I do not find it obvious that asking for one aspect of your identity denies the indisputable fact that there is more to you than that. Most people openly display their gender in everyday life, be it by hairstyle, clothing choices or aspects of their voices, not to mention their real first names, characteristics that usually don't show in a forum like this. I am aware that this topic can be sensitive for some people, but it is certainly not the majority of the population who find it quite normal to choose a gender in a form or an online profile, as it is very common.

I understand what majority thinks and keep getting punished for it regularly. I also understand that this my personal problem and I don't expect anyone to fix it for me. But personally it would be great to see improvements now and then especially in situation where it doesn't matter much. There's too much of a "standard" thinking out there that gender matters in every situation.
Anyways, it was worth a try.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Hi @Silly Bubbles whilst no, this isn't a dating website, and one could argue that Gender is irrelevant. Another could argue that it is, and it is that reason that there is a choice to either a) choose to publicise your gender, or b) abstain from doing this by clicking "No Selection" :)

Kind Regards

Herodite.

People can always use their profile pictures or profile details to advertise their gender if they feel like. Making an official request to answer such a question is a different story even though there's a third "No Selection" option. It implies that Inno puts importance/relevance to this information. Just out of curiosity what is the actual reason for this question and why is it important to know it? Sorry, marketing purposes for non gender related product, especially nowadays when marketing can be targeted using very large number of criteria, doesn't seem to make sense. Also, wouldn't you target based on the game data rather than forum data?

Turing

Bard
Just out of curiosity what is the actual reason for this question and why is it important to know it?

Well, hypothetically, if they discovered 99% of the existing users were male, wouldn't that imply there's something wrong with the existing marketing? Even though the game is not gender related, personal info such as gender, age etc does provide a check on the reach of the existing marketing

Thorly

Spellcaster
The presumption is that if you or someone else are using a female avatar, you must be female, or using a male avatar, that you are a male. In this day and age, anything goes (This is a fantasy game). The issue is that some do not like being "Punk'd" reading or writing to and from someone whom they thought was a particular sex, and they were not. And always using an unisex or androgynous response just seems too...

Giraffi

Enchanter
Ha, that made me look what I have added. Actually, nothing, Other questions also non-revelant for my playing personality.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
To me it's the same as asking what is your race, ethnicity, hair colour, attractiveness etc. Information like this can open people up to discrimination and overgeneralisaton.

Thagdal

Sorcerer
Other questions also non-revelant for my playing personality

Exactly, a playing personality.
Everyone uses a made up name for the game, hopefully use non personal email address, so whether you select male or female or none, it is a made up personality, and not personally identifiable, so this topic is a non issue.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
So does anyone actually have a problem with removing that question?
If yes, I’d love to know how will they personally suffer because of it. If Inno has a problem with removing the question, I’d love to know how it affects them financially from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.