• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Quest lock-outs

SkyRider99

Immortal
1696419211020.png

Bah! Humbug!!! :mad:

C-Nymph

Necromancer
So... what's there to 'discuss' here? ;) I'm hoping you as an experienced player are aware that this is a recurring situation with every event...?

Hekata

Artisan
Since we are not getting unlimited quests back, it doesn't matter much whether we get 50 sequential quests followed by 20 daily ones or we get 70 sequential and 0 daily quests. Those who like to do them fast will finish them in a day or two (my case) those who like to spread them over the whole event will do so.
I actually like the current system :)

SkyRider99

Immortal
So... what's there to 'discuss' here? ;)
Well, anything and everything really. You are right @C-Nymph to say this is normal operations. @Hekata actually likes this lock-out mechanism. I was just having a parting grumble before Inno cancels our beloved forum. :)

1696462232696.png

Note for millenials and post-millenials: That thing he's shouting into used to be called a telephone. :rolleyes:

P.S.
We even had electricity in them thar days.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
View attachment 7929

Note for millenials and post-millenials: That thing he's shouting into used to be called a telephone. :rolleyes:
Hey now, I am a millenial ('85), but we had rotary-dial phones like that at home too (the ones where you had to put your finger in a hole and turn a turntable to dial a specific number, wait for it to rotate back, then insert finger in different hole for the next number, rinse repeat until you dialled all numbers of the phonenumber), so they're not that old. I think your post should be directed at post-millenials only :p

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Hey now, I am a millenial ('85), but we had rotary-dial phones like that at home too (the ones where you had to put your finger in a hole and turn a turntable to dial a specific number, wait for it to rotate back, then insert finger in different hole for the next number, rinse repeat until you dialled all numbers of the phonenumber), so they're not that old. I think your post should be directed at post-millenials only :p

I REALLY want one of those phones again!! I badly miss them! :D

I go back further than that, (never you mind how far) but when we moved up here to the serious backwoods country, we still had a party line. six houses on one line. You actually had to wait your turn to use the phone, and each of us had a separate ring, so we knew who was being paged. I don't miss it.

m4rt1n

Adept
We used to have one line to each semi detached house with the dial phone and if you picked up to dial sometimes next door was on and you could listen in, that worked visa-versa. I also learned quite early on that rather than waiting for the dial to return each time you could also tap the receiver button quickly with a gap for each number, so to call 5312 for example taps would go ..... _ ... _ . _ ..

SkyRider99

Immortal
when we moved up here to the serious backwoods country, we still had a party line. six houses on one line.
Sorry to say @lilymarlene, but you just dated yourself pretty well. :p

Australia had party lines in the outback towns, and I do remember seeing them used in American movies and sitcoms.

We had the original manually connected switchboards though. And if you wanted (and could afford) to make a long distance call to outside of Sydney, you had to book it with the service provider (Post Master General, or PMG) and they would call you on the appointed day/time so you could be connected. It was called Subscriber Trunk Dialling (STD) and was for a strictly limited call time, like 5 minutes. That's if you were fortunate enough to know someone who actually had one of them new-fangled telephones in their house. :)

1696551791536.png

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...s/news-story/99229e9ae9b9298828a9d3c2e0cfdf43

Stucon

Illusionist
We used to have one line to each semi detached house with the dial phone and if you picked up to dial sometimes next door was on and you could listen in, that worked visa-versa. I also learned quite early on that rather than waiting for the dial to return each time you could also tap the receiver button quickly with a gap for each number, so to call 5312 for example taps would go ..... _ ... _ . _ ..
Is this a swear word in morse code? lol

m4rt1n

Adept
1970's BT phone.jpg

My phone as a teenager/young adult, found from a stock photo, mine had a card in the centre with operator and emergency number and a 4 digit phone number. To call another village you had to add 2 digits and another city 4 more digits.

SkyRider99

Immortal
As I recall, there was a special 'ritual' to dial a number. Lift the receiver and wait/listen for the dial tone, indicating the line was ready; slowly and carefully dial the number, without making mistakes, and always waiting for the rotary to fully return to the start between each number; when calling another city (special occasions) keep your eye on the clock, because the call charges were timed, and outrageously expensive. :cool:

Well, anything and everything really. You are right @C-Nymph to say this is normal operations. @Hekata actually likes this lock-out mechanism. I was just having a parting grumble before Inno cancels our beloved forum. :)

View attachment 7929

P.S.
We even had electricity in them thar days.
we even had them teevees you could plug in the wall and watch without it costing two arms and a foot...

SkyRider99

Immortal
Oooh. Analog modems! We could rave about baud rates, 8N1, and asynchronous comms settings all day. I still have an RS232 cable somewhere! :p

m4rt1n

Adept
Try 1987 dial up to a green monitor lol.

Those things were huge.

I was still on dial up until about 2003 but things had improved, colour and windows OS.

Going back another 3 or 4 years to the early 1980's no internet but I had a computer that games and programs were available on a cassette tape, 10 mins to load about 20kb of info.
1696720225515.png

This image is from a museum lol

Last edited: