• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Province difficulty rating

Thezza

Spellcaster
Just got up this morning, my Scout finished overnight, so went to set him off again for the quest...and all my remaining Provinces on this ring have magically changed from Easy to Medium !!!!! That's just not fair !!!

Deleted User - 106219

No, that's just how scouting works. Every time you scout a province the cost of all other provinces that have not been scouted increases. Since province difficulty is based on cost, the difficulty of unscouted provinces can increase (from Very Easy to Easy, from Easy to Medium, from Medium to Hard, etc.)

Thezza

Spellcaster
Well, I thought it was based on the ring you were doing, compared to where you are on the tech tree.So the further out you try to go the harder they are...they were all Easy for the last 9 or so, now they have gone to Medium..and I am sure the price hasn't gone up! lol

Deleted User - 106219

There comes a point when the price doesn't increase with every province scouted (because the price for scouting a province seems to be rounded), but the difficulty still increases a little bit.

DeletedUser1816

You won't notice a large difference between the "easy" and "medium" provinces. The ones you just scouted were at the upper end of easy and the ones to come at the lower of medium.
In my case it's exactly opposite to you. The provinces from ring 13 and ring 14 are both labeled easy. But the difficulty is quite different nonetheless...

DeletedUser5460

I am just new here (since the weekend) and my provinces went from med. to hard after scouting one more province, i guess it isnt enough to turn me against the game (right now) but now i have something like 4 days of research to get to another squad upgrade before i can scout again. I think that might really be a bit too much effect on a single scouting and i can see where this might really be a turnoff to the game later on, maybe there could be an up gradable building we could have that would have the same affect as the squad upgrades do just to keep the game moving along? ...or simply have the difficulty based on distance from home city that keeps better pace with the squad upgrades so maybe there is lees downtime in the scouting (and gameplay experience)? All in all tho i am enjoying the game but dont think i will be spending any money yet till i see just how bad these interruptions get later, after all, i haven't even been playing a week yet and already this feature is putting the brakes on the game... i Really hope this feature gets reviewed...

DeletedUser3097

Hi @NorthernKing,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Have you found the Elvenar Wiki yet? This page about scouting provinces may be of interest to you.

The cost of scouting provinces is reduced every chapter after completing Advanced Scouts.

advanced scouts.png

This hint from Wiki is also useful to know:

Hint:It is advisable to scout only the amount of provinces needed for the next chapter in the research tree. The cost for fighting or trading to complete the province will increase with each newly scouted province. And in later provinces you will need Orks to trade.

You can find out how many provinces you need to scout for the next chapter by placing your mouse over the chest at the start of the next chapter.

I hope this helps.

DeletedUser1829

after all, i haven't even been playing a week yet and already this feature is putting the brakes on the game... i Really hope this feature gets reviewed...

Hi Northern King, by the sound of that you are very early on in the game, likely chapter 1 maybe 2. There is good and bad news for you depending on your perspective. You are at the stage of the game where combat difficulty is at its highest, it gets much easier as you go along. If you follow the advice of @Dizzy Lizzie above you will in time find all province become very easy (blue). Unfortunately you have to get though the pain of chapters 2-4 where province difficulty is very hard (red) even if you do everything perfect.

There are 2 main reasons it is so difficult at your early stage:
  1. The enemy squad size is significantly greater than your own
  2. You lack all of the unit types so certain provinces have to be done with less than optimal units. The good news here is by chapter 3 you do have them all and the game gifts you some heavy melee units at the start which you learn in a chapter or so.
Unfortunately their is little you can do about the squad size disadvantage. Some tips to mitigate the issue for now.
  • Negotiate provinces until chapter 3/4. Around here you should find difficulty coming down towards medium if you stick to these tips. Then switch to combat
  • Scout only the minimum number of provinces - This will keep negotiation costs and enemy squads to a minimum. Much later in the game you will be able to start exceeding the minimum and still have easy fights
  • Research all squad size upgrades, even the optional ones. If you enjoy tournaments people say to skip optional squad size techs but the benefit to you for provinces in the first 3 chapters will be huge compared to the effect on tournaments, especially as you move further into the game
  • Learn how to use the combat system by participating in tournaments. Tournament difficulty is fixed and the first round you are at an advantage. The squad sizes are also a lot smaller (start at 5%) of your provincial squads so you can replace these troops faster and increase your challenge by trying harder rounds as you get better. Not to mention some nice rewards.
  • Constantly build troops for both tournaments and when you are able to start provincial combat
  • Patience - It is a little backwards but it does improve significantly.
@Dizzy Lizzie I don't suppose you know or could find someone who might know if the combat issues at the start will/are going to be addressed? The province difficulty rating makes it quite obvious there is issues here and it is very off-putting for a new player to face hard and very hard provinces at the start.

DeletedUser5460

thank you, i appreciate the advice but i have finished the advance scouts at the entry of chapter two, i need 25 provinces to get to chapter 3 and have only scouted 15 provinces (over scouted in chapter one...rookie mistake but have learned lol. So now i had 68 hrs of research before i get the next squad upgrade (thought it was more but still 3 days wait). So maybe the solution might be to have one squad upgrade at the start of each chapter that would be enough to take a player to the next chapter in provinces instead of several small squad upgrades then (i think there are three of them in chapter 2 if memory serves me right)??? I dont know, i just play the games lol but if you dont like the idea of an up gradable bldg then this seem like a reasonably easy solution that still paces the play to only so many provinces per chapter being discovered without disrupting the flow of the game so much. I love the co-op nature of the game and basically you seem to have a great idea but i assume these forums are so you can tweek aspects of the game that might turn people away and tho i am not long here this one raises flags for me cause it makes me wonder just how long do these interruptions get, say 6 months or a year down the line? I hope the concerns with this feature go beyond just talk here and get an honest review at finding a solution that you are happy with while also solving the problems expressed with this feature. My experience so far is that you are a great group genuinely driven to make this a great game so i am sure you will be able to fix this too. Have a good day, Thank you

DeletedUser1829

@NorthernKing Unsure who you were addressing in your post. Most people on the forum are players just like you and me. There are also volunteer moderators and some official staff. If you are trying to make a suggestion there is an ideas section in the forum. I have no idea what happens to them from there. Other players may also comment on and discuss your idea.

DeletedUser5460

Oh lol, Thezza had started comment here on provincial difficulty and in the forum listing it is titled provincial difficulty so i started commenting here on my experiences on that topic. My Bad i guess lol. Oh well i have pretty much said my piece on it and what you said earlier gives hope for down the road and DizzyLizzy can bring the early in game issue to the moderator team's attention like you asked so now its as far as i can take it i guess anyway. Thanks again and have a great day !

DeletedUser5460

On another topic, apparently i have been awarded a "Trophy"? what is that? is there a link i could go to read up on it if there is some kind of benefit to trophies? Also Thanks for the trophy! :)

DeletedUser5460

I have been thinking about this issue we have been discussing and i think i have been guilty of putting the cart before the horse so to speak. Because of the drive to get those knowledge points it was natural for me to want to explore the provinces but i think i realize now that the best way to approach the situation is just to sit back and wait for the KP to come every hr and get through the chapter that way and get ALL the squad up grades in the chapter first then simply scout and finish the required number of provinces to move to the next chapter. Its going to be a LONG wait to get through this chapter but then the next chapter will get a big start when i can do another 10 provinces that should be knocked down to easy (i hope lol) Thanks for you patience with me, i gained some knowledge here in spite of realizing in the end i was wrong lol... still wondering about that trophy tho, i checked in wiki and did a search with no results :)

DeletedUser1829

Going slow at the start in terms of provinces is the way to go. As I mentioned look into tournaments, you can get some KP there to help a little. Just expect those first few chapters to be hard. If you do all optional squad size techs it should start to get better in Chapter 4. I have a town in that chapter that skipped the techs and the fights are now getting close to a point I can do them.

As to the trophy it relates to the star in the bottom right corner of the forum. I forget where to find what the points are for but it will be things like number of posts and likes, etc.

Edit: https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?help/trophies

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser441

I have been thinking about this issue we have been discussing and i think i have been guilty of putting the cart before the horse so to speak. Because of the drive to get those knowledge points it was natural for me to want to explore the provinces but i think i realize now that the best way to approach the situation is just to sit back and wait for the KP to come every hr and get through the chapter that way and get ALL the squad up grades in the chapter first then simply scout and finish the required number of provinces to move to the next chapter. Its going to be a LONG wait to get through this chapter but then the next chapter will get a big start when i can do another 10 provinces that should be knocked down to easy (i hope lol) Thanks for you patience with me, i gained some knowledge here in spite of realizing in the end i was wrong lol... still wondering about that trophy tho, i checked in wiki and did a search with no results :)
Click on trophy points star , bottom of screen , then look at the box top left , last , and click on trophy points.You can then see how trophy points are won.

Mod Edit: brackets sorted out

Last edited by a moderator: