• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Option to flip buildings

• Thread starter DeletedUser3032
  • Start date

DeletedUser3032

@Dizzy Lizzie pass this on to the dev.

ORIGNAL
g_elves_factoryglass_10_d660368ac61c05a7c65936d2.png

FLIPPED
image.png

Looks just as good ;/ Just need to add a rotate button then the image refreshes on screen when you have a building selected in MOVE/EDIT mode.

Afternoons work for someone to flip building images ;/ Even make a script to do all image files in 10 mins.

DeletedUser3034

While they have stated they won't allow rotating the footprint, rotating the image itself like that on the same footprint would allow originality in city design.

DeletedUser3032

While they have stated they won't allow rotating the footprint, rotating the image itself like that on the same footprint would allow originality in city design.

It would work for both same X+Y or different X+Y. Just need to pull something out of somewhere and get to work on it, like other changes which have the majority of players are wanting.

DeletedUser3097

So you are reversing the image rather than rotating. The example you gave was a square building- does it work well with a rectangular building?

DeletedUser3032

yes exactly the same

Original
elv_1.png

Flipped
elv_2.png

I dont know which wat they identify the footprint of the building but I'd presume the ID of the building is linked to a database with the sizes etc so it would just require the following.

1. Rotate button.
2. New image of flipped building with new ID or listed as A+B
3. Reverse the X+Y for the footprint. (Even if this is stored in one column, simple way to switch is to use tokens. Token 1 is < of X and 2 is > of X. Then place X between the 2 numbers again.)

The buildings positions for each user is obviously stored somewhere so it wouldn't make any difference when the player reloads city as long as the way the 2 different images are linked properly between the 2 different footprint information. The rest of any building attributes is the same.

Other games do this for rectangle buildings (Flip not rotate. Technically the same thing because X becomes Y and Y becomes X). They tend to leave square buildings as 1 way only which doesn't matter at all as 2x2 is 2x2 backwards. It would be so much better being able to go 5x2 or 2x5.

The solution is here. It's just if the devs wanna do it or not. They could pay me :)

DeletedUser3034

Also, true rotation would put the low blue piece in front, the tall purple in the back. As there is nothing 'behind'the blue one, we'd have a vacant spot. We'd also have a vacancy underneath the pink flowery thing where now it blocks whatever might be behind/under it.

Edit - I see that flip PLUS rotate allows you to never see the gaps. Interesting.

DeletedUser3032

It's only rendered transparent images so anything behind them will be seen just like you can now. The only time consuming thing with this idea would be coding the link between the 2 different versions of buildings. But it wouldn't be to hard for developers which are on a half decent wage. They should be able to do this stuff in their sleep with hands tied behind their back. < Many people like this sort of thing with the lights off ;)

DeletedUser2863

I personally like the challenge that comes with having to fit the locked shapes into your city and trying to create the most efficient design with the given restrictions of the buildings. Being able to flip buildings at will would make it more than twice as easy, which would be a downer in my opinion.

Timneh

Artisan
I personally like the challenge that comes with having to fit the locked shapes into your city and trying to create the most efficient design with the given restrictions of the buildings. Being able to flip buildings at will would make it more than twice as easy, which would be a downer in my opinion.

Just because you could flip the buildings does not mean you have to so it would not affect your game if you chose not flip them.

DeletedUser3032

It wont, they still take up the same amount of space so it would just make you organise your buildings slightly differently. The only advantage I can see is with culture buildings. Fitting in the best 3x1 into a 1x3 slot somewhere daft on the map you dont have a road to.

DeletedUser2863

Just because you could flip the buildings does not mean you have to so it would not affect your game if you chose not flip them.
Knowing myself, I'd always go for the simplest solution. I recently had to perform a redesign of my city as my marble manufactories morphed from 3x2 into 2x5, and it was fun having to come up with a good solution. If given the option, they would have stayed in nearly the same space (but 5x2), and it wouldn't have been a project of the same magnitude.

That said, it's true that there would be a vast increase in the amount of possible configurations for a given set of buildings, but that's not necessarily a good thing. As you start removing restrictions in the game mechanics, the game becomes less and less challenging and therefore less fun.

Timneh

Artisan
Knowing myself, I'd always go for the simplest solution. I recently had to perform a redesign of my city as my marble manufactories morphed from 3x2 into 2x5, and it was fun having to come up with a good solution. If given the option, they would have stayed in nearly the same space (but 5x2), and it wouldn't have been a project of the same magnitude.

I know it is a pointless arguement because Inno have said multiple times that rotating of buildings is not going to happen but if you were to use the flip function if there was one then it would be your own fault that your game was spoiled and not the fault of the game. Maybe you could view the act of not giving in to the temptation of using the flip as part of the challenge of the game. :)

firerock

Enchanter
I think this is a wonderful idea, and for people like myself in the late stages of the game and who actually has a RL, I don't have the time to WASTE on reorganising the entire city. If I could have a function that allows me to plan and save off a version of the city, and once done implement I could do this at my leisure over several days, but there is not such feature because they didn't think of it initially and realise its too much like hard work, so they reply with stories like "its part of the game". With the lack of this sort of feature, what is suggested above would help considerably.