• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Notifications/Golden Hands

kimkimkim

Summoner
I actually have 2 suggestions that would coincide with each other...First suggestion would be to add more pages to the notifications - as trades are being accepted, neighbor visits are being lost....Second suggestion, if the first is not doable - when you visit someone, either in the fellowship or on the world map, make the neighborly help symbol ( the hands ) gold in color, like they are in the notifications, to reflect the bonus help. Normal hands, no bonus help....Gold hands, bonus help.

kimkimkim

Summoner
I'm not sure what the increments are of the goods you are trading, but we have a few in our fellowship that have just started out so we not only do some big trades, but we also do a bunch of small trades for them and for anyone else that needs.......obviously if not adding more pages to the notifications is an option, then i will lean towards the suggestion of changing the helping hands to gold when you are visiting someone, like they have in the notification box. Thanx for responding Lelanya :)

Pauly7

Magus
Second suggestion, if the first is not doable - when you visit someone, either in the fellowship or on the world map, make the neighborly help symbol ( the hands ) gold in color, like they are in the notifications, to reflect the bonus help. Normal hands, no bonus help....Gold hands, bonus help.
There's a problem with this and that is that the vast majority of people will only therefore give out neighbourly help when they see gold hands and ultimately the whole system will grind to a halt - because most people are lazy and won't do anything unless they think there's a chance of reward.

kimkimkim

Summoner
I don't think it's laziness if you are already clicking on someone's city to give help but then you notice there would be a bonus to helping, this is of course not knowing they had helped you because their notification got dropped due to trades being accepted.

m4rt1n

Adept
I give neighbourly help to EVERY neighbour daily, golden hand or not.

Remember some Neighbours of smaller newer cities cannot reciprocate because they have not yet discovered you on the world map, and they are the players for the future of the game. :)

@kimkimkim from your opening comment, would you not give help after opening the city if they had not helped you?

Last edited:

kimkimkim

Summoner
@m4rt1n I give help to all my neighbors and fellows in my fellowship, bonus or no bonus, the point I was trying to make is that I have it where some of the people I know that help me have dropped off of the notifications because of excessive trade acceptance, so if I went to visit someone and help them, I would kind of like a head's up on the bonus just in case my supplies are to the limit, which I like keeping them at....therefore I would not have to leave their city and use my supplies, for example in the wholesaler and then go back and help....yes I get it, some people just help others because they will get a bonus, that is not my case.

m4rt1n

Adept
@m4rt1n I give help to all my neighbors and fellows in my fellowship, bonus or no bonus, the point I was trying to make is that I have it where some of the people I know that help me have dropped off of the notifications because of excessive trade acceptance, so if I went to visit someone and help them, I would kind of like a head's up on the bonus just in case my supplies are to the limit, which I like keeping them at....therefore I would not have to leave their city and use my supplies, for example in the wholesaler and then go back and help....yes I get it, some people just help others because they will get a bonus, that is not my case.

Thank you for clarifying, the game needs more players like us. That said on the app I get a warning if the help would take me over the MH limits, so go out and use the wholesaler then continue. Maybe that stop box would work on PC also but I only do the Fellows on PC to get the 3 chests then do all my 100+ neighbours on the app. :)

DeletedUser5976

ut I only do the Fellows on PC to get the 3 chests then do all my 100+ neighbours on the app
I do my fellows on the app to make sure I don't need to search for their preferences or miss the best culture building. Most of my neighbours are anyway inactive so I do the chests there and after getting the 3 chests move to the app again.

DeletedUser3451

in addition, at the stage in the game where i am, i can't bother to give help to everyone, especially when more than half of my neighbours are inactive. i don't really need all that excessive gold and i don't have the time to visit everyone due to their increasing numbers. so i help only those that are actually active and need my help. the only way for me to keep any track of this is through the notifications and as it was stated before - it's easy to miss out someone because of notifications for accepted trades.

and don't get me wrong guys, i respect your decision to visit all and everyone, but please don't state it as if you're doing it only because of your good hearts for the future players. you do it because it brings you profit as well...

Pauly7

Magus
I think it's admirable if people are visiting everyone, but like Ikarium says, it's needless unless you happen to be short of the gold... if you have a neighbourhood like mine, anyway, where less than 20% of them are still active. My original point stands, though, that in my experience many people ONLY give neighbourly help when they see that person help them first. What it means is that unless you are on the ball 23 hours later you never get the benefit from them. It also means that no one would bother at all if everyone took that stance. It's these sorts of people that would help even less when they saw gold hands appearing on the map. At least with the current system and doubt remains, some people are helping because they think you might have helped.

My attitude to it is that I do a "round" of the map each day, but I ignore all the ones that I know are inactive cities. I help all the others, especially those new small cities that I know can't reach me.

DeletedUser3451

but Pauly, how do you find out if someone of those that were active goes inactive? not everyone bothers to write it in their name, so far i've seen only one such person. yeah, on the desktop you might visit the city and see if there are any changes done or something that hints on activity, but on the app there is no way other than the notification about the help being given back.and not everyone uses the message system even if they can. we need a better system to access needed info ingame. and what each of us will do with that info is our own decision, not to be judged by others and especially not to be guild-tripped into accepting someone's else preferences.

i'm not against helping people at all - on the contrary - if people can and want there's nothing bad in helping as long as it's not explained with self-proclaimed altruism. mostly because when people self-proclaim their "good deeds" it makes me wonder if they do it because they really believe into it, or because they just need to hear some applause for it. nothing personal towards anyone here - i am intolerant towards the judgemental attitude and not towards people. because at the end it does not matter what the reason for visiting/not visiting our neighbours is.

Pauly7

Magus
My aim is not to be overly altruistic. There is always an element of quid pro quo. One hopes that others will be helping people you as you help others. It's kind of like the power of the vote. In this case I give neighbourly help because I want the tools bonuses it provides, though it is sometimes indirect. If I give NH to everyone in my catchment who I know is active then I do so hoping that a certain percentage will be making the wheels turn and the system work. Even when helping those smaller members who I know cannot return the favour it is with the thought that if their games are improved, they will keep playing, perhaps they will have the same values and ultimately it makes the whole game world a better place.

So I'm rambling, but what I mean to say is - No, people are not making entirely selfless gestures, but that doesn't mean we can't widen the net and give the help as much as possible without it having to come down to "you helped me so I helped you", because, as I say, if everyone did that then the system wouldn't work.

but Pauly, how do you find out if someone of those that were active goes inactive?
As you suggest it relies on at least occasionally using the PC to do a round of NH. It's not hard to spot those that haven't changed for a while, or easier still those that have an upgrade halfway done that will never complete. You can also use the trader as quite a good indicator of who is around.