• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Messaging system... grrr

Pauly7

Magus
I'm mostly posting this just to vent, but I'd also appreciate this being passed on as a suggestion @Silmaril.

I just typed someone a full 2,000 character message, hit send, only to get a message pop up saying "Message not sent - links can only be sent to fellowship members". OK. If they want to have that weird rule then fine, but please don't just immediately discard the huge message I spent the last 20 minutes typing!! :mad:

So my suggestion is, please change the coding so that the message remains for you to delete the offending link from it, rather than have the system throw it away without warning.

You're probably all going to say you knew this anyway, but it's the first time I've encountered it.

Hekata

Artisan
In general that messaging system needs a lot of improvement. I'd like to see an undo button for a start so if I accidentally delete part or the whole message I can bring it back. A save draft button would be welcome too..

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
The problem is not (only) the spam filter but the message window being too fragile. A click outside does instantly kill it, along with all content. This is a much worse behavior than even the chat window has. I would much prefer if the content survived in local memory until either the message was successfully sent (and stored in the outbox) or deliberately deleted by the user.

Pauly7

Magus
They make a lot of improvements to this game over the months and years and it seems really strange to me that the messaging system remains so poor. I think the main reason for this game's success is the interaction between fellows and other players. A kind of a community. Yet they do very little to ever improve the archaic messaging system despite people pleading for as long as I've been playing.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I'm mostly posting this just to vent, but I'd also appreciate this being passed on as a suggestion @Silmaril.

I just typed someone a full 2,000 character message, hit send, only to get a message pop up saying "Message not sent - links can only be sent to fellowship members". OK. If they want to have that weird rule then fine, but please don't just immediately discard the huge message I spent the last 20 minutes typing!! :mad:

So my suggestion is, please change the coding so that the message remains for you to delete the offending link from it, rather than have the system throw it away without warning.

You're probably all going to say you knew this anyway, but it's the first time I've encountered it.

this is the reason why I always copy long messages before sending them, it happened to me to often.
Yes this is the spam prevention within the system, hence only allows to the Fellowship.
Sorry to hear that you found this out after such a long message.

The point is that it should not discard the message, it's fine that there is spamm prevention, but it would be grat of the system is changed so that we can modify the messages, instead of starting over.

Pauly7

Magus
this is the reason why I always copy long messages before sending them, it happened to me to often.
Good advice, and actually I do that too. With the big messages I don't normally even type them straight into an Elvenar message. I will type it on Word, then copy paste when I'm ready to send. With this one I didn't follow my own rules, mostly because it was more of a conversation. It just ended up being quite lengthy.
The point is that it should not discard the message, it's fine that there is spamm prevention, but it would be grat of the system is changed so that we can modify the messages, instead of starting over.
Yes, exactly the point.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Good advice, and actually I do that too. With the big messages I don't normally even type them straight into an Elvenar message. I will type it on Word, then copy paste when I'm ready to send. With this one I didn't follow my own rules, mostly because it was more of a conversation. It just ended up being quite lengthy.

Yes, exactly the point.
I use notepad, unfortunatly it only works on flash, in HTML5 it adds crazy additional enters, not only in the messaging system but also in the chat and in the guild description, so after you made it your spending minutes fixing up your text by reediting it. very annoying.

Pauly7

Magus
I use notepad, unfortunatly it only works on flash, in HTML5 it adds crazy additional enters, not only in the messaging system but also in the chat and in the guild description, so after you made it your spending minutes fixing up your text by reediting it. very annoying.
Yeah a while back I made the mistake of trying the HTML5 version. I switched back sharpish and will hold onto Flash as long as I can.