• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Closed | Archived Message NOTifications

m4rt1n

Adept
@Sir Derf in the chat messages as I said, supporting your report of a bug I stated that I can reply to my fellowship, then get a new message icon and it is my reply, this can repeat while logged in and not closing the game, even many hours later. I briefly mentioned the other issue, not to take away from the main issue but thought it may be related, for when the issue is "reported" to the game developers.

Neither message system had issues until the last week or two so I conclude the issues may well be related.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Or... and hear me out... it could be literally anything else.

Other than we both be talkin' 'bout messages, there is no evidence that links them together. Do you happen to know that a massive spike in swap messages took place between the last time I looked at my screen, and the appearance of the erroneous new message indicator? No? Then I politely suggest that we not try and combine things that might not be related.

And no, this thread was not started on the basis of chat. My OP was describing the indicator on the envelope icon for messages.

Yes, we have no evidence about your theory or my theory.
KP swap threads don't need to go up to cause problems, all it needs for the whole system to get slower for the problems with an overload to show up. Also, it's very possible that everyone is using coin instants for FA badges and spending the coins on KPs creating surge in KP swap threads.

Sir Derf

Adept
And, it's very possible that [insert other random occurrence]...

Please stop hijacking my thread reporting a specific symptom and asking if others saw the same thing with separate, unrelated issues.

I think it was best said in that monumental movie, Mean Girls... "Gretchen, stop trying to make 'fetch' happen, it's NOT going to happen!"

OldHag

Necromancer
Please stop hijacking my thread reporting a specific symptom and asking if others saw the same thing with separate, unrelated issues.

I think it was best said in that monumental movie, Mean Girls... "Gretchen, stop trying to make 'fetch' happen, it's NOT going to happen!"
Fair enough, @Sir Derf hopefully, they'll find and fix the mail issues :)

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Fair enough

I'm not really sure what do you mean. Forums are about discussion, someone trying to stop discussion with making questionable quotes just because they've run out of something good to say doesn't sound very "fair enough" to me.

Sir Derf

Adept
I'm not trying to stop discussion, full stop; I'm trying to stop non-sequitur discussion in a specific forum thread. Feel free to start your own thread to discuss other observations or possible weak spots in implementation.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I'm not trying to stop discussion, full stop; I'm trying to stop non-sequitur discussion in a specific forum thread. Feel free to start your own thread to discuss other observations or possible weak spots in implementation.
Why? The discussion would be broken because I would have to start a new thread referring to your thread. What is the point of that? Also, it’s only moderators that can tell us what to do. I’m not sure why should I do something just because you’re telling me to for a reason I don’t understand.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
Any new change to the game affects some of the existing functions. I personally would expect problems happening whenever I change something, the question is how big the problem will be and the details of it. The only way to fully prevent problems is not to change anything at all once something is "perfect" but that's very backwards as the rest of the industry keeps changing, players get bored with doing same things over and over etc.
Also it's much more efficient to wait for a problem to happen and then deal with it than analysing the whole game and try to prevent something that might be a problem. It's really hard to test something before thousands of people start using it.

I disagree with all the above. Software changes are very often essential but a professional software house allocates significant time to thoroughly test the changes that it makes. It's also not advisable (or more efficient) to simply release updated software and wait for problems to happen and then try to fix them - the consequences of this in the gaming industry might be slight but in certain sectors it could be fatal. That's certainly been my experience of working in software development for a great many years. As for thousands of people using something these scenarios can be simulated.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Why do I have a feeling that people are on my case just because I criticised their precious KP swap threads. :D:eek:

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Releasing poor quality or untested software (or other products) can very often cost more than producing a quality product (see 'cost of poor quality' COPQ) so your comment supports what I was saying.

So it looks like that Inno's decided that it's cheaper to release product with some errors than making sure that there are no errors. That doesn't necessarily mean that they can't do it, it's just not financially feasible.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
So it looks like that Inno's decided that it's cheaper to release product with some errors than making sure that there are no errors. That doesn't necessarily mean that they can't do it, it's just not financially feasible.

I don't recall ever referring to "no errors" nor have you considered the consequences of players abandoning the game due to frustration with buggy software and so forth. Anyway, will leave you to have the last word.

SkyRider99

Mentor
It's also not advisable (or more efficient) to simply release updated software and wait for problems to happen and then try to fix them -
That reminds me of the years trying to support DOS4.0 and Windows 386. Other apps too of course. M$ are not alone in releasing software that conforms to a schedule more than it conforms to stability and reliability. :)

I am not suggesting that the game is following this methodology though. Inno have a great product IMO.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
That reminds me of the years trying to support DOS4.0 and Windows 386. Other apps too of course. M$ are not alone in releasing software that conforms to a schedule more than it conforms to stability and reliability. :)

I am not suggesting that the game is following this methodology though. Inno have a great product IMO.

That makes me question myself now. Why am I sticking to Windows! :D
There must be a hidden reason somewhere, it's probably something to do with things like when there's more good than bad, it's good enough or no such a thing as perfection. Also, I keep getting a reminder to install Window 11 and I haven't had the guts to do it yet. :eek: