• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Map location

m4rt1n

Adept
Moves occur on Monday mornings I have noticed.

Yes, but not every Monday, there is a staff post explaining this that I would have quoted in my previous post had I been able to find it. It's a couple of years old.

Gargon667

Mentor
Yes, but not every Monday, there is a staff post explaining this that I would have quoted in my previous post had I been able to find it. It's a couple of years old.

I don´t think a couple of year old info would be very relevant now after the major changes they did to the tech this year. But I agree with you on the facts, it is run occasionally and from what I can tell absolutely not regularly (but it might always be a Monday I have no idea). Also it seems there is less moving going on nowadays than it was in the weeks right after the upgrades. Maybe be because they moved most of the towns that are due for a move? So now they just do it every now and then when they feel like another round is necessary?

I think by now an upgrade to the tech removing inactive towns would have far more impact than moving a few more towns from the outskirts to the center...
Btw I am not saying they did nothing on that end last time, they sure did, but they did not finish the job. If I had to guess I would say they reduced the time for small, non-diamond towns to stay on the map before they get taken out. But they did not start putting big or diamonds spending towns into storage as promised, those are still around.

Stucon

Illusionist
And you are not supposed to be moved more than once. If you are in a sparsely populated area in the outskirts you are moved to the center, that´s it. No more need to be moved ever again (in theory).
That would suit me. Lots of active neighbours now instead of the 10 to 12 I had before.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
The problem really is that the process isn´t really working yet. Ideally all the old, inactive cities would be placed in storage so only the really active ones remain. If that was the case fewer people would complain about being moved.
As it is right now being moved closer to the center is not a guarantee to be moved to a more active neighborhood.
But anyway as has been pointed out, not being moved is not an option either as you will be left in an empty wasteland.
So better get moved and hope that the cleanup process will eventually work :)
I haven´t been moved, but I did get a bunch of new towns moved into my area, so that worked out for me at least. Well few of them are big enough to reach me, but anyway,if they stay active they will reach me eventually and if they don´t well I am still hoping for the clean-up to work one day.

Sometimes neighourhoods are canceled, because they will become no-mans land otherwise, in that case there will always be some people for which is no new good place aviable, so they are "temporarily" placed on the edge of the world map untill a better place is find.

But there is a reason a section of the world map is canceled, if it would have stayed it would become worse even than the edge of the map.
So you are always send closer to the center of the map (the most active area), even if you end up at a crappy location it's better than the old one.

Forcing yourself to stay at an old location is a good way to kill your town.

Every week there are small moves, every ones in a while a large cleanup is commenced, those weeks are vital to have map moving activated because those weeks are most likely to give you an awesome new much better location.

I suspect they use this many small moved and one big move system to make sure new players do not always end up in a crappy location at the edge of the map. as they want new players to stay. but they also need a solution for veteran players so once in a while huge moves would be a tradeoff between getting new players a good position while not ignoring existing players either.

Gargon667

Mentor
Forcing yourself to stay at an old location is a good way to kill your town.

Exactly!
Just to maybe explain this a bit more for those that wonder:
You can refuse to move because you like your neighborhood, but unless all of your neighbors also force their stay (which will of course never happen) your neighbors will leave you behind and your previously good neighborhood will become a bad one until you are left completely alone.
So it is far preferable to move when you can, as your old neighborhood will simply disappear around you if you don´t move. Even if your new neighborhood isn´t perfect, it is still better than the wasteland your old neighborhood will soon become.

A lot of people here have a strong aversion to change, but in this case you don´t really have the choice between change or no change, the only choice you have is between a change for the (far) worse and a change with a range of outcomes between perfect and slightly worse...

CrazyWizard

Shaman
En extra point, of you miss out on the large move that only seems to happen every few months, it will take months before you "might" get moved to a better location again.

It's a once in a .... opportunity and if you miss it. your kinda screwed for a long while.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
You can refuse to move because you like your neighborhood, but unless all of your neighbors also force their stay (which will of course never happen) your neighbors will leave you behind and your previously good neighborhood will become a bad one until you are left completely alone.

This is exactly the situation I found myself in once before. Once I ticked the Auto Move, it took about 6mths but I eventually moved into a far better place on the World Map :)

I've been moved without any notice, but still at the center of the world map. 411 provinces around me and only given or taken 10 players trade. Question: where the heck are trading the other 400? And please don't say 'Spartaaa',ok, they were 300...
Furthermore saying that I have to rely on my FS is a bunch of _______ feel free to put any word you prefer.

m4rt1n

Adept
I've been moved without any notice, but still at the center of the world map. 411 provinces around me and only given or taken 10 players trade. Question: where the heck are trading the other 400? And please don't say 'Spartaaa',ok, they were 300...
Furthermore saying that I have to rely on my FS is a bunch of _______ feel free to put any word you prefer.

Its the same on Arendyll, there are loads of cities that are big and small that have at some point spent diamonds or reached ch5 so never get removed, despite the promises from Inno over the years.

Its the same on Arendyll, there are loads of cities that are big and small that have at some point spent diamonds or reached ch5 so never get removed, despite the promises from Inno over the years.
Maybe Inno & Co. forget too often that we are not only players, but more important we are customers and accordingly to the saying, customers are always right.

@Gargon667 The customer is the king worldwide. Furthermore I live in Germany and I can assure you that they are copying the Americans in the way they treat the customers. As Italian, sometimes I find it annoying.