• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

World Map Living on the edge

Honeybubbles

Adventurer
My city is on the edge of an encroaching desert on the West and South. Brand new cities land there regularly but are unable to reciprocate with neighbourly help, only to vanish a day or two later and become goldmines. The lack of culture polish and trading partners for standard goods is a handicap at any level of the game.

Unfortunately, someone always has to be on the edge. So...If you've ever had a look at what's left under the gold mine, it's a dwarven shanty building!

Details:

1) When visiting a gold mine, a pop up for neighbourly help appears after offering the thirsty dwarf toiling there a cold tankard of strawberry beer.
In gratitude, 4 help choices are offered: Main Hall, Builder's Hut, Culture polish, or a visit to the Dwarven Outpost Trader. This help is effective immediately.

The Dwarven Outpost Trader would allow immediate 2* trades for standard goods. There would be a limit on: the amount of goods traded (chapter dependant) and number of trades allowed.

This type of visit to goldmines would be limited to 25% of the total number of provinces scouted in one's city. Any leftover goldmines can still be visited for gold.

For browser convenience, the allocated visits to Dwarven Outposts could be listed on the Neighbours tab in the Province overview of the world map.

Benefits:
Receiving the type of help that's needed, even it's from a dwarven lush.
Improving culture bonus!
A trader is available to cities in lower chapters that are having difficulty trading.
It becomes fashionable to live off-grid.

Cons:
None. Limitations on Dwarven Outpost visits have been placed to avoid overpowering them.

NB This post was previously made by myself under the same title on US servers in April where I have a smaller city. Some editing changes have been made.

I'm not sure whether it is too late to forward suggestions on this forum to the devs but it might give us something to discuss. Living on the edge will always be a problem so it would nice to find a solution to resolve it.

Last edited:

SkyRider99

Immortal
It becomes fashionable to live off-grid.
Once 'twas a tempting idea @Honeybubbles. But I prefer to have a hot shower, watch telly, and browse the internet after dark. They would need to manufacture solar panels that work off starlight (stellar panels?). Or I could install a battery and wait for it to explode. :)

1696637234997.png

Honeybubbles

Adventurer
Once 'twas a tempting idea @Honeybubbles. But I prefer to have a hot shower, watch telly, and browse the internet after dark. They would need to manufacture solar panels that work off starlight (stellar panels?). Or I could install a battery and wait for it to explode. :)

View attachment 7934
Watchya gonna do for a hot shower, telly, and internet browsing when a tropical cyclone, tornado, hurricane, typhoon, earthquake, tsunami, wildfire, or flooding knocks out the your power grid?
Objection, btw, off topic ;)

(EDIT for clarity and posterity)

Last edited:

SkyRider99

Immortal
knocks out the power grid?
Ahh, if you're 'off-the-grid' then by definition there is no power grid. Local power comes from your solar/wind/water generation. Which can work for low power consumption while the sun shines and the wind blows. :cool:

BTW, maybe 'off topic' strictly speaking, but I was not seeing a lot of response to the original post. Artistic license, lateral thinking, etc. ;)

A nice idea that would definitely help those stuck on the edge of the map.
Reset ... take two ... proceed accordingly.