• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

January Competition Time!!

Gargon667

Mentor
I don't see why you have taken such offense at my opinion that the reward is not worth the reward.
Just a note, the last 'paid' work I did was 3 short plays for a newly created theatre group in the summer of 2020. I charged them a nominal £3 as I did it to support a new venture.
By all means disagree with me but don't there is no need to be unpleasant.

I have not taken any offense whatsoever, I just made an observation.

Gargon667

Mentor
Correctly guessing a competition is hardly gambling @Gargon667, we are not asking you to pay to enter the competitions here, they are designed to add a bit of Elvenar fun!

Don´t get me wrong here I am not against gambling at all! I would find it fun to gamble with KP instants. I am trying to understand what the difference is. You offer a completely random choice of 3 items. Same as a 1-armed bandit. So in your eyes could we get a 1-armed bandit slot machine in the game that we can feed with 5KP instants?

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Every competition in the world is about guesswork @Gargon667. we have give you the parameters of the competition quite clearly and for you to simply read and decide who you feel would be the most likely culprit, what their weapon of choice was and where the deed happened. Then creating your own backstory around this to explain why.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Don´t get me wrong here I am not against gambling at all! I would find it fun to gamble with KP instants. I am trying to understand what the difference is. You offer a completely random choice of 3 items. Same as a 1-armed bandit. So in your eyes could we get a 1-armed bandit slot machine in the game that we can feed with 5KP instants?

The definition of Gambling is as such: "The betting or staking of something of value, with consciousness of risk and hope of gain..." Now im not suggesting our players imaginations aren't of value! But guessing a combination does not constitute Gambling on this occasion @Gargon667 :)

Paladestar

Enchanter
Are the times the competition post says "Earnie" instead of "Ernie" clues, or just mistakes? ;):p

Gargon667

Mentor
The definition of Gambling is as such: "The betting or staking of something of value, with consciousness of risk and hope of gain..." Now im not suggesting our players imaginations aren't of value! But guessing a combination does not constitute Gambling on this occasion @Gargon667 :)

something of value? That is very open to interpretation. So you are saying that we can get gambling machines in elvenar as long as they don´t cost anything of value? I would guess that would be anything except diamonds?

Sir Derf

Adept
Your question is a linguistic-logic contradiction of the initial definition.

The stated definition of gambling requires "something of value" as an input; if it "don't cost anything of value", then no, it isn't a gambling machine. It's a no-purchase-necessary sweepstakes machine. It's a free-to-play prize wheel machine. It's a partially-filled public Advent Calendar machine. It's not a gambling machine.

Pauly7

Magus
I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I'll add my two cents worth.

I had skim-read it and was looking forward to having a go. I even had some ideas in mind for storylines and twists. However, what I didn't initially appreciate was that the object of this was to guess three objects that each has a random chance of being the right one. There's no chance I'm going to sit down for half an hour or more and try to come up with something creative when it won't matter at all unless I happen to succeed in the 1 in 140 shot of guessing the right objects.

This should've just been a creative writing competition with no pre-selected correct answers.

DeletedUser9850

Yes, I struggled to understand the instructions. The words ‘correct entry’ indicates that it must be a logical deduction, although on the other hand, I get the impression that the most creative entry will win the prize.

I assume some work has been done on the write-up since it first appeared. Sorry guys, There are still places with awkward reading.

In case of creative entry, I know who will win if she enters. :)
Yeah.There's only one master of creativity here.
She is ..........
Don't tell others guys

Stucon

Illusionist
I had skim-read it and was looking forward to having a go. I even had some ideas in mind for storylines and twists. However, what I didn't initially appreciate was that the object of this was to guess three objects that each has a random chance of being the right one. There's no chance I'm going to sit down for half an hour or more and try to come up with something creative when it won't matter at all unless I happen to succeed in the 1 in 140 shot of guessing the right objects.
Careful Pauly7. Sounds like you a criticizing people doing nice things for us! lol

Pauly7

Magus
Careful Pauly7. Sounds like you a criticizing people doing nice things for us! lol
It's just feedback. I appreciate a good community contest, but this was disappointing because it was a really good idea to have some creative writing, but that was voided by making it dependent on a lottery. So for me it's just disappointment that my motivation for having a go was taken away.

Stucon

Illusionist
"He walked down the docks and did for him."
If I have the guess correct do you think that would win?

Wayne2049

Novice
This a really stupid contest!!!! I guess we're supposed to figure out the answer by divine intervention or possibly ESP. Whatever the method it is just a pure guessing game. There are 140 possible combinations, so your odds of GUESSING the right combination are 1 in 140. That's worse than my state's "Pick Two" Lotto game where the odds are 1 in 100.

So don't count on winning, just enjoy sharing your stories like I did. In fact, I wrote one story for my entry, and a second just for the fun of it. Considering the stupidity of the contest, I don't really care if I win.

As for the prizes, this is another one of those cases where the alternate prize (diamonds) is more valuable than the main prize (Gravity Inn). I would prefer the diamonds instead of the Gravity Inn.

Read my stories and if you like them, please give them thumbs up.

Wayne2049

Last edited:

Pauly7

Magus
"He walked down the docks and did for him."
If I have the guess correct do you think that would win?
As far as I can tell, essentially, yes. With odds of 1 in 140 of guessing right, if you manage it then there's a good likelihood you're the only one, and so the story doesn't matter.

Pauly7

Magus
As for the prizes, this is another one of those cases where the alternate prize (diamonds) is more valuable than the main prize (Gravity Inn). I would prefer the diamonds instead of the Gravity Inn.
The Gravity Inn is the most exclusive item in the game. It's never been an event prize and only about 3 or 4 people have them.

Stucon

Illusionist
The Gravity Inn is the most exclusive item in the game. It's never been an event prize and only about 3 or 4 people have them.
Now I wish I had actually added the 'story' to my entry.

I wonder how many entries they get?