• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Question Is there anyway to replenish my population?

Cheryn

Bard
Ok, I put myself in a box and can't see my way out for quite some time, or at least until I'm solidly into Fairies. While working on and trying to finish my upgrades (which I should have finished before entering C6) I found my population decreasing rapidly. I decided to go ahead and start upgrading residences to dwarven style, since I was in C6 - which helped for awhile, but now I can't upgrade them any further until C7, maybe column 4. I have around 170 pop and no way to finish upgrades with that. I'm thinking just slow down and take a rip-van-winkle nap for a few days and maybe the elven gods will smile on me in a magical way. Otherwise, does anyone see anyway for me to finish the 20 upgrades I have remaining to get me to all level 15, yes while in C6-dwarves??? Ughh. :{ssssigh

Last edited:

kimkimkim

Summoner
cut back on your factories, workshops and armories if you can......upgrade your golden abyss.....maybe build mountain halls

SkyRider99

Immortal
Otherwise, does anyone see anyway for me to finish the 20 upgrades...
I see a way. But it's unpopular for many who play. Replace residences with Magic Residences, using diamonds. But be aware that upgrades will cost more diamonds later. You can also upgrade using Blueprints from tournament prizes if your FS completes ten chests or more. It's best to wait until you're in a high chapter before splurging diamonds on Magic Residences or Workshops.

Otherwise, as kimkimkim says you can build GA or MH AWs to help. They'll need upgrades to make them effective.

Some prize buildings (from events etc.) offer extra population.

There are a couple of good culture buildings in the higher chapters with extra population. They mostly need diamonds to buy them though.

Or simply get more city expansions and build more residences. I found I needed about 30 residences to keep my progress moving ahead.

Turing

Bard
I would ask whether "how to replenish population" is the right question? There are two alternatives that you can consider that might be more practical:
- How can you reduce the required population?
- How can you free up space to allow more residences etc?

On population first I think the previous posters covered most options:
- GA (and when you unlock it Mountain Halls) can add quite a lot of population.
- Magic residences give more than regular. But you already have several and unless you want to spend real money upgrading you probably don't want more. It's hard to get the blueprints to upgrade these.
- Daily special buildings from events. This is the most important IMHO. Look for daily specials that are pop + culture only and give more population than culture. And then save your points in the event to get as many of these as possible. Assuming it matches beta, there'll be an event in 2 or 3 weeks and day 1 is the Goblin Gift Shop - this may be the best (non-paid) population building in the game. - it beats magic residences at least in some chapters. Last year I got 9 I think, and my total city population went up by 50% in a single day. So you'll have to wait a couple of weeks, but if you get enough of these, population won't be a problem for some time. In fact the upcoming event may have some small buildings that aren't even daily specials that are not bad for pop.

More useful might be reducing how much population you need:
- Simplest thing is to teleport workshops or manufacturies. You'll likely find as you progress and they get larger you need numerically fewer of them. So at times you may need to teleport a few. Or you may find you simply can't afford the population for them all - if you can't increase population much then the alternative is to teleport whatever you need least out of these.
- Magic workshops: these might be more useful for your population than magic residences. They produce more supplies for similar population so reduce your needed population. What's powerful, though, is combining these with power-of-provision spells. You can get those from the tourney, from making them in the MA (not ideal - better to do CC) and a few from events. If you work out how many workshops you could realistically hit with a PoP spell every day and get that many magic workshops it will dramatically reduce your needed population. I was only doing this a bit after Dwarves chapter, but 2 or 3 workshops total may be more than enough. A PoP spell triples production. A magic workshop is roughly double a normal. So a magic workshop with a PoP spell daily can replace numerous normal workshops : probably 4 or 5 once you account for the spell not lasting all day
- Use supply instants and scrap workshops entirely. if you have a Ferris wheel you can make 10% supplies every 2 days. In your MA you'll get quite a lot of supply instant options. I never went this route, but I believe it's possible to make enough to get all your supplies - and scrap every single workshop in your city.
- Don't upgrade your manufacturies to max. This is important - when you unlock manufactury techs, the new levels are usually worse than the previous ones, due to the enormous population needs. Once you get better residences later the balances changes and they become worth doing. It's generally only beneficial to upgrade to new levels in the chapter where you'll get the NEXT levels unlocked, or the one before that. Your question implies you are trying to do all possible upgrades while in the dwarves chapter - this is likely to be unhelpful.

And lastly, there is the option of freeing up space. Anything inefficient in your city is hurting your population, because it's taking space you could use for residences:
- Generally watch for out of date buildings and be scrap them. The buildings in the culture tab are generally weak and useful only in their chapter, if at all. Buildings from events are usually becoming borderline useful a couple of chapters after you got them. So if you have a chapter 4 event building it's likely OK now, but no better. Anything older is likely best scrapped. This is the dailies and random bits - the evolving buildings are better than that (and worth upgrading with RRs anyway)
- Assuming you're on EN1 you have a mass of L1 granite mines. If you upgrade these to L3 can you scrap some? That might make space for 3 more residences (Many portal buildings go to L4 - I often found L3 best. It is so long and expensive getting to L4 that it often didn't seem worth it; but L3 usually was)

Gargon667

Mentor
Great summary @Turing :)

I would emphasize the event buildings, some of them you can even get in crafting constantly!
Delete all pure culture buildings you may have (like the frozen flames or whatever junk the game constantly throws at you as well as all the culture buildings from the buildings menu. If it gives nothing but culture, delete it and replace it with pop/culture hybrids.
The only useful pure culture buildings are roads, as they don´t cost any extra space.

In crafting go for all the rainbow flower cages and rainbow unicorns you can find, they are tiny and fit in all the crap spots in your town without costing real space and they do add up :) The mystical object occasionally spits out bigger ones like Igloo festivals and Windmills of evil.
Next event: stock up on bigger hybrids, sometimes you can get a daily hybrid that is 4x5 big (sometimes they are smaller, but with higher pop/square), save up spend your currency on that day and you should at least get 10 of them. That will solve your pop needs for a while. Repeat the process maybe every other chapter so you can replace the outdated hybrids with new ones and you will always stay ahead.

The other main point is:
1. clean up your city and get rid of junk
2. find ways to produce supplies outside WS (those are the horribly most inefficient buildings in the game!) As soon as you figure out how to make supplies (instants, AWs etc) you can delete all your WS and you´ll never have pop trouble again :)

Cheryn

Bard
Wow, thank you all for these suggestions! I already have 8 magic residences and 29 regular residences - probably could find room to build 1 or 5 more. I have cut back my armories to the bare bones at 4 and i AM feeling it now. I could maybe teleport a dust and scroll factory (next time I get some teleports), taking me down to 3 each, which would be tight on the scrolls. My steel is starting to be inefficient at 6, so no cutting there. The dust would probably help since it's one of the worst offenders for needing upgrades and I'm aready rolling in dust! Magic workshops might also be a good way to go, but I need to wait on some Christmas money coming! (hahaha!) I do have a GA and upgrading it as often as I can - currently at level 11. Mt.H. is not unlocked yet, but I will definitely place it as soon as it is and I'm able. I think I understand why I see all these cities full of red dwarf style residences and Main halls just sort of abandoned and no one really playing them, all over my world map. They probably got stuck like me and gave up. Apparently there is a chance this will happen again in C7-Fairies as is happening to a fellow of mine right now. Very discouraging moment to arrive to in your game. Perhaps the developers could find a better solution for this issue. I really don't want more residences and without magic workshops, I can't give up a single one of them right now as I already and supplementing 9 with supply windfalls and extra crafted/cultural buildings that produce supplies. I will definitely mull these suggestions over and take a close look at what I can do. Thanks again sooooo much!

SkyRider99

Immortal
They probably got stuck like me and gave up.
Don't give up. There are slow points in the game, and then you will surge ahead.

The key word is 'patience' and 'planning' ... the key words are 'patience' and 'planning' and 'strategy' ... amongst the various key words are 'patience' and 'planning' and 'strategy' ... and an almost fanatical devotion to the game :p

Cheryn

Bard
... amongst the various key words are 'patience' and 'planning' and 'strategy' ... and an almost fanatical devotion to the game :p

Well thank you SkyRider99, and fear not - I am no quitter! Paitence is certainly a virtue and one I have never been naturally blessed with. Fortunately for me, this game is teaching me to grow that virtue. ;) As for planning, I am generally pretty good with that one, but while I was so busy planning for the dwarves arrival, I did NOT plan on as many upgrades as I actually needed, even though I was constantly upgrading something. Just sort of snuck up on me I guess.:confused:Strategy? Hahaha! Never really been a strategist and not completely sure how to go about that in this game. It's not quite like chess.:rolleyes: I am more of a problem solver, hence asking questions here, reading my elven bible (gems) and shuffling through Youtube videos, wiki and older posts. Since May, I haven't stopped playing for hours on end, every single day with only necessary breaks - based on collections of course! Excepting when I was hospitalized without my laptop!!! o_O I'd dare say, I have devoted a fanatical devotions (if not addiction) to this game! Thanks!:D

Giraffi

Enchanter
Once you get the Dwarven Armorer, you can cut back on some of the armories as the DA adds troops to your training queue. You can increase your number of armories again in later chapters.

Cheryn

Bard
Once you get the Dwarven Armorer, you can cut back on some of the armories as the DA adds troops to your training queue. You can increase your number of armories again in later chapters.

Are you saying I don't need 4 in Ch6, but may need more later? I am barely keeping up with half my battles now. I can't imagine less than 4 armories. :eek: Maybe once they are upgraded to dwarven style, I might see it. Geeze I am gonna need more teleports! :oops:

Ruprecht

Adventurer
Are you saying I don't need 4 in Ch6, but may need more later?
You might need more when they upgrade to Breeding Grounds for orcs in chapter 8. I only have 2 armories, but have several Orc Nests to keep the production numbers up.

Gargon667

Mentor
I teleport/sell armories before FAs, but otherwise I keep around 10 or so armories in my city. Once those Needles/FA are maxed out you produce at double speed, so if you want to be lazy and not log in every half hour the queue (training size from armories etc) needs to be a length that keeps you producing 24/7 without losing sleep...